Secrets Silver Sands vs DRM

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Secrets Silver Sands vs DRM

Postby thehogsters » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes we can't wait to go to Desire but it seems to be overpriced. I have found prices for Secrets Silver Sands for over $500 less for our October 5 night stay. I mean what does Desires have that makes it over $100 a night more? The rooms are nicer at SS so is the pools and other facilities and I know from years of reviews that the food is great at SS. Yes I'm will to pay the premium to try Desire or Pearl but seems to me some new resort could come in and charge less for the same experience.
thehogsters
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Oct 2015

Re: Secrets Silver Sands vs DRM

Postby tikihutguy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Sorry, but not the same experience.... 8)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby CokeMann » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 pm

You will probably understand the differences better once you have actually vacationed at Desire ;)
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Tocute » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:48 pm

CokeMann wrote:You will probably understand the differences better once you have actually vacationed at Desire ;)

My question is that Silversands is not clothes optional right?
Tocute
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 22 Jul 2015
Swing Site(s) we belong to: none

Postby CokeMann » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 am

Tocute wrote:My question is that Silversands is not clothes optional right?

Not even officially topless optional - lol
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby thehogsters » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 am

Ok, I'm not totally brain dead. I get that Desire is CO and SS is not. As I stated above, we are willing to pay the premium for the Desire experiance. My point is that Desire has us all by the balls since it really has no comparable resorts. Unless you want to go to Jamaica and we are not willing to do that.
thehogsters
Desire Convert

Postby Tocute » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 am

thehogsters wrote:Ok, I'm not totally brain dead. I get that Desire is CO and SS is not. As I stated above, we are willing to pay the premium for the Desire experiance. My point is that Desire has us all by the balls since it really has no comparable resorts. Unless you want to go to Jamaica and we are not willing to do that.

Then they got you by the short hairs.... Lol
They have something you want and they can charge you whatever they want it's called free enterprise... Lol yall have fun!!
Tocute
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 22 Jul 2015
Swing Site(s) we belong to: none

Postby thehogsters » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Tocute wrote:
thehogsters wrote:Ok, I'm not totally brain dead. I get that Desire is CO and SS is not. As I stated above, we are willing to pay the premium for the Desire experiance. My point is that Desire has us all by the balls since it really has no comparable resorts. Unless you want to go to Jamaica and we are not willing to do that.

Then they got you by the short hairs.... Lol
They have something you want and they can charge you whatever they want it's called free enterprise... Lol yall have fun!!

Thanks I'm sure we will. We just got back from Moon Palace yesterday for a family vacation. It was awsome but I can't wait for Desire! :L
thehogsters
Desire Convert

Postby SJCrazy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Desire has cultivated, over years, an environment and clientele that is totally unique. The resort is nice, the rooms are so-so, the service is generally very good, but it's the vibe and the crowd you meet there that really make it great.

I also think that Desire offers a bundle of services I simply cannot get elsewhere: AI, CO and Lifestyle friendly (but way more laid back than any other Lifestyle function we've ever experienced). If I was to drive out to the city and duplicate the experience as best I can, I'd have to drive a half hour, go to a public CO beach with dudes and looky lous, go to a bar and buy drinks for $8-12 each, go to a restaurant and spend easily over $100 for a comparable meal with drinks, go to a club to meet-and-greet or dance and buy more drinks for $10-15 apiece, then go to a Lifestyle club and pay $60-100 to get in the door, and get a hotel room that'll cost me $100-300; I don't even want to talk about parking. At this point I'm looking at $400+ for something that doesn't include breakfast/lunch food, breakfast/lunch drinks, requires me to drive to the city, requires me to drive around in the city, requires me to put clothes on, doesn't include the fun Desire entertainment/vibe and doesn't connect me with nearly as many fun people.

Desire is a bargain if you really consider what you're getting. Sure, it's not cheap, but that doesn't mean it's a bad value.
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby marachuck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:54 pm

I get your overall point about price vs. food and facilities between SS and desire. we have been to both SS and desire. SS before we even knew about desire. it was TOTALLY Different. we stayed at SS for seven days and maybe talked very briefly to one couple for a few minutes. serious people. flip side at desire you'll talking, laughing and partying with other folks within minutes. first time we went to desire completely naked couple says, "welcome to desire" you will never have that experience at ss. sure ss has better facilities but...boring. you don't have to be in the lifestyle, it really is about the people and we think that helps the desire staff go the extra mile. its worth the money to go and get to know people and within minutes be making friends. the energy is so very, very different. you both will love it.
marachuck
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 16 Jan 2016

Postby ourfuntrip » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 pm

SJCrazy wrote:Desire has cultivated, over years, an environment and clientele that is totally unique. The resort is nice, the rooms are so-so, the service is generally very good, but it's the vibe and the crowd you meet there that really make it great.

I also think that Desire offers a bundle of services I simply cannot get elsewhere: AI, CO and Lifestyle friendly (but way more laid back than any other Lifestyle function we've ever experienced). If I was to drive out to the city and duplicate the experience as best I can, I'd have to drive a half hour, go to a public CO beach with dudes and looky lous, go to a bar and buy drinks for $8-12 each, go to a restaurant and spend easily over $100 for a comparable meal with drinks, go to a club to meet-and-greet or dance and buy more drinks for $10-15 apiece, then go to a Lifestyle club and pay $60-100 to get in the door, and get a hotel room that'll cost me $100-300; I don't even want to talk about parking. At this point I'm looking at $400+ for something that doesn't include breakfast/lunch food, breakfast/lunch drinks, requires me to drive to the city, requires me to drive around in the city, requires me to put clothes on, doesn't include the fun Desire entertainment/vibe and doesn't connect me with nearly as many fun people.

Desire is a bargain if you really consider what you're getting. Sure, it's not cheap, but that doesn't mean it's a bad value.

:L
ourfuntrip
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 14 Oct 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie LL

Postby thehogsters » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:33 am

marachuck wrote:I get your overall point about price vs. food and facilities between SS and desire. we have been to both SS and desire. SS before we even knew about desire. it was TOTALLY Different. we stayed at SS for seven days and maybe talked very briefly to one couple for a few minutes. serious people. flip side at desire you'll talking, laughing and partying with other folks within minutes. first time we went to desire completely naked couple says, "welcome to desire" you will never have that experience at ss. sure ss has better facilities but...boring. you don't have to be in the lifestyle, it really is about the people and we think that helps the desire staff go the extra mile. its worth the money to go and get to know people and within minutes be making friends. the energy is so very, very different. you both will love it.

That is the exact reason I told my wife we should go. Sure we have had great times before at Beach and Moon Palace. The rooms, pools, food and everything about the place is great but kinda boring at night. I find myself wishing we had friends to hang with at the pool. Looks like we will make some in no time at Desire. Now I can't decide between the two? Think it might be pearl since I have found it for only $100 more for a 5 night trip.
I'm a bit worried the wife will be put off by the small size room at DRM.
thehogsters
Desire Convert

Postby Yankeefan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 am

If you think the rooms are small, wait till you have 3 other couples in there with you...then you will greatly appreciate the benefits. :D :D :D
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby marachuck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:06 pm

I am sure you have checked this out on this wonderful forum, there are tons of comparisons between both desires. we've been to both. the one thing that I would add as you read comparisons is to keep in mind that Pearl is evolving and DRM has been there for.... 12 plus years or more? So when you go you will notice that there is a very big group of folks on their 2,3,4,5...18,19, etc trip. their vacation club does have many members. the loyalty is such that I have heard a few of the "DRM Lifers" say, Pearl never... then we'd see them at pearl having a blast. so, in the next DRM vs. Pearl thread I am going to say, DRM AND Pearl, we are all very lucky. but if you are talking an SS to Desire conversion process, I'd recommend Pearl because its rooms are a bit nicer and maybe, maybe it will be a little more tame, maybe. enjoy.
marachuck
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 16 Jan 2016

Postby thehogsters » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:35 am

No I don't want to go to SS. I was just commenting on prices. I just can decide between RM or DP. My wife is somewhat uneasy about going to . She is ok with the Co but not with pbs. I'm thinking DP might be better since it seems to be a little more "tame"?
thehogsters
Desire Convert

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya