safety

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

safety

Postby brian mullis » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 pm

is the resort and area safe
brian mullis

Postby Headstone » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 pm

Very safe. Security checkpoint from the highway and again at the resort entrance. Never felt unsafe.
TTR May 28-June 4 2022
DRM June 4-June 11 2022

DRM Oct22-29 2022
TTR Oct29-Nvv 4 2022
Headstone
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Jun 2022

Postby Sharon and David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Do not let a fear of insecurity stop you from the best vacation you will ever have (until you go the next time, and again) It is safe and amazing!!! Go for it.
Sharon and David
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA

Postby tout.prest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:58 am

Have no worries !

The resort is in a rather isolated area, away from the bulk of tourist traps. As stated, you have to go through 2 security gates to get to the resort...1 to even get access to the area off the highway and another at the gates to the resort. There is a croc pond at the front entrance that the staff would dare you to try to sneak through :shock: and the there is "ever present" security wandering around the property at all hours of the day, especially at night (don't ask me how I know :oops: )

To put it simply, if someone wanted to access a resort property for the purpose of illegal activity, there are FAR easier targets than Desire ! So they would in all likelyhood move on.....

Is that what you were wondering when you ask the question of safety , or are you asking about the terrible explosion in Playa over the weekend and the chance of a repeat ?

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby NeilandSylvia » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:35 pm

tout.prest wrote:Have no worries !

The resort is in a rather isolated area, away from the bulk of tourist traps. As stated, you have to go through 2 security gates to get to the resort...1 to even get access to the area off the highway and another at the gates to the resort. There is a croc pond at the front entrance that the staff would dare you to try to sneak through :shock: and the there is "ever present" security wandering around the property at all hours of the day, especially at night (don't ask me how I know :oops: )

To put it simply, if someone wanted to access a resort property for the purpose of illegal activity, there are FAR easier targets than Desire ! So they would in all likelyhood move on.....

Is that what you were wondering when you ask the question of safety , or are you asking about the terrible explosion in Playa over the weekend and the chance of a repeat ?

Steve
Hello Moderator, (Desire Management) In referance to the tragic explosion at the resort that occured on Sunday. First of all I would like to offer my condolences for anyone who's friends or family that may have been involved with the devastating accident. Here in Canada, because there are thousands of us visiting your wonderful Country, it is a very talked about news story. In referance to the findings and the current location of the pond that is located behind your resort. Is Desire looking at or is there a need for any type of Methane Gas or other type of low level sensors to be placed around the resort for the purpose of warning of any build up of dangerous gases?
Thank you for your time, and once again our thoughts go out to anyone affected by Sundays tragedy….
My wife and I are first timers to the resort and are very much looking forward to our 11 days in Mexico Dec 11th till the 22nd
NeilandSylvia

Postby miranda » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Not sure what the OP was referring to in regards to "safety" but we were "warned" that we should be "cautious" when walking the beach to Puerto Morelos due to some "suspect" folks that can (and do) hang out in the empty lots and buildings inbetween the occupied lots and buildings.

As for safety at the entrance of the resort - have no fear, as mentioned.

As to safety of your "belongings" on the resort, again, you should have no fear of the employees being a little "sticky fingered". Have yet to hear about anyone missing stuff out of their rooms.

But, the resort is built on swamp land, is it not?
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby tout.prest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:21 pm

miranda wrote:But, the resort is built on swamp land, is it not?

Miranda,

While the short answer is yes, I believe that virtually all oceanfront property is built on some type of mangrove swamp, from Cancun to south of Playa.

Neil and Sylvia,

Just FYI, this forum is not actually run by desire management and the administrator is actually from Canada, much like you (Hey Wayne ! :wink: ). Although they (the resort management) do look in on this forum, you may be best to email Valentina at the resort itself, for specific questions. guestservice@desireresorts.com i believe ....

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby CokeMann » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Steve - Desire management has been cc'd on the post
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby tout.prest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm

.......And there he is now !! LOL :P

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby CokeMann » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Desire Management has replied to the question of the gas explosion at a resort near Play del Carmen and concerns about safety at Desire, they have posted a response in their section of the forum - please follow the link to see that post

http://desireresorts.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1595

Wayne(Coke)
Site Admin
Desire Forums
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby mfay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Take a look at the post by Desire's general manager in the Desire management section here in the forum.
That-along with new reports about the explosion coming out today from several news sources- seem to indicate first that the real story is not what was first reported, and second that we don't need to worry about something like this at Desire.
Knowing quite a bit about natural gas/methane as I do, the original explanation of the explosion was a little hard for me to believe anyway.
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby miranda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

And far too early to tell us really what caused the explosion.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby NeilandSylvia » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Hello Moderator and Martin Good,
Thank you for your quick response to this important question. I know many people who are leaving shortly to travel to Desire Resort where asking the same thing. All I can say at this time about the death of the one victim who was just married, it hit very close to home here on a personnel level...
Thank you once again for your time. For those who have not seen the response by Desire here it is...

(Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: Explosion at Princess Resort Playa del Carmen
GOOD MORNING,

THE EXPLOSION AT THE PRINCESS WAS CAUSED BY A GAS LEAK IN A CLOSED AREA UNDER THE LOBBY BAR.

AT DESIRE ALL OF OUR GAS INSTALLATION IS ABOVE GROUND AND EXTERIOR. IN FACT WE JUST HAD IT CHECKED BY ¨PROTECION CIVIL¨ WHICH IS THE MEXICAN AUTHORITY TO MAKE SURE ALL SAFETY REGULATIONS ARE BEING FOLLOWED.

PRINCESS WAS OBVIOUSLY IN VIOLATION OF SOME OF THESE CODES, OTHERWISE THIS TRAGEDY COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

SINCERELY, MARTIN GOOD

safety

Postby canuckcouple » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

As others have said you should have no worries about your safety at desire from other people the staff and security are great. There is however one safety issue that shouldn't be overlooked. Mosquitoes. We just returned home after being at Desire from Nov. 4-14. Early in the morning of the 15th I woke up in a cold sweat with a severe headache and every joint in my body in pain. I thought I had come home with the flu. By day 2 I thuoht I was going to die. On day 4 I discovered I have infected with the dengue fever virus. It is now day 5 and I am still extremely sick, although better than I was a few days ago. Dengue fever is spread by mosquitoes and I remember a few early evenings at the lobby bar having my ankles being a mosquitoe buffet. It wasn't till yesterday that I realized that the Mayan Riviera is a high risk area for dengue fever. Use insect repellant especialy in the few hours around dusk and dawn and you should be OK. I can assure you that dengue is not a souvenier anyone wants from Desire. Other than that we had a great time on our trip and hope to write a trip report when I'm feeling better. For anyone wanting more info on dengue check out the link below.

http://www.medicinenet.com/dengue_fever/article.htm

Tom
canuckcouple

Postby mfay » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Curious canuckcouple- when you say you discovered you have Dengue fever, are you saying that this has been confirmed thru lab tests ?
In roughly 150 days spent at Desire we have been bitten hundreds of times with no serious effects. Of course it seems from the article that most healthy folks would not contract the disease and would show no effects. Still, we'd be interested to know if the diagnosis is confirmed.
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya