Dietary Accommodations

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Dietary Accommodations

Postby BSJK » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi,

We're new to the group, and haven't been to the resort yet but are seriously considering a stay at Desire RM in the next year or so. My wife however, has some fairly strict dietary restrictions which generally has lead us to avoid all inclusive resorts in general. Usually we rent a villa with a kitchen and do our own cooking but now that we are expanding the dynamics to our sexy time, the appeal of a social resort like Desire RM is ever more appealing. I've been reading the forum and reviews online, and see that vegetarians fair OK. Has anyone stayed at Desire RM who's allergic to dairy (I.e. milk, cheese, even butter if used in a pan to make say eggs)... same for gluten free options?

P.s. hats off to the creators of the forum, it's so helpful for undecided guests like us.

Cheers,

B
BSJK

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Re: Dietary Accommodations

Postby texascouple1208 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi B,
We don't have any particular dietary restrictions of our own, so we have not tested them personally, but we have been impressed with the staff's willingness to handle special dietary restrictions. The biggest hurdle might be just communicating what is not okay in your diet.

I recall the servers usually asking if we have any restrictions before we order in the restaurants (way more often than we get asked in the US at restaurants), and I even think the front desk asked on more than one visit at check-in. The buffet you would probably need to navigate on your own - the labels are not a complete list of ingredients, but they are fairly self-explanatory.

On a high note, one of our very best meals at the resort involved another guest with a very strict diet. This other (very sexy) couple were staying in a villa at RM and invited us to eat dinner in their room with them - apparently a perk that comes with the villa one night of your stay if you are a member. The staff served us four courses and all of them were delicious and met our host's restrictions (If I recall correctly it may have been Celiac or something similar). The chef came in and explained each dish as they were served. It was a lengthy meal, but as I said, one of the best we have had at the resort, and great company.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby rohshambo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:12 pm

They will ask you when you make your reservation if you have any dietary needs. They will ask you again when you check in. The host or your server will also ask. They are very attentive to any requests. There is something for everyone. Do it :D
Pam & Neal
kik: 2sunlovers
SLS: 2desiresunlovers
rohshambo
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 12 Oct 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby dinkswithkinks » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 pm

We are both gluten free and the staff was very accommodating. Any dish on the buffet that we had questions about, they would grab a chef and bring them out to talk to us about it. We were very impressed. I was looking at the desserts once and one of the servers came up to me and pointed out the ones I could have, remembering my sensitivity!
SLS & Kasidie: DinksWithKinks
dinkswithkinks
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 17 Apr 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS Kasidie

Postby Workhardplayhard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm

My wife has Celiac and has to have all her meals prepared gluten free & free of cross contamination. Years ago when we first started going to RM, they didn't really understand and she was sick after most meals. Today, the teams at RM (and DP) is amazing at accommodating allergies. We were there in August and never had an issue the whole time. You may have to ask the staff to make you something in the back and the chef will likely come out to speak to you about your allergies.

It is not uncommon for the chefs to take it as a challenge and make you something special off the menu. They tried GF pizza and I'd say you probably want to pass on that one...
Workhardplayhard
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby D&H » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 am

I have Celiac, and we just returned from 7 nights at RM and 1 night at Pearl. Hands down, the gluten free options were better at Pearl. They were very accommodating at RM, but sometimes I don’t think they really understood what was and wasn’t GF. Buffet was easy for me to navigate without much help. They did bring us creme brûlée that was not on the buffet one evening, and it was delicious. At lunch I ordered grilled chicken and fries, and I didn’t realize it until our last lunch at RM, but they were actually changing the cooking oil each time they cooked fries for me! Wow. We did not eat at Sahlo, but the menu at Suki at RM had GF items marked. The breakfast buffet at Pearl had GF bread and it was so good after not having any bread in so long. I do not know if it is dairy free as well. We had dinner reservations at Pearl, and they also made sure to point out GF options. We splurged and had the tomahawk steak, and it was easily the best steak of my life.
D&H
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 16 Dec 2020

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya