Disco closed (unverified)

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Postby miranda » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:03 am

Not sure what they mean about a "makeshift tent for a playroom up at the jacuzzi lounge" but I can't wait to find out. There isn't much room up there so I just can't imagine it. Guess we'll just have to wait for more info :lol:
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby njdesirecpl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:04 pm

We just received good news. Desire has stated that the disco and playroom are being renovated for the LL takeover that begins on March 6.

We will arrive on March 5, so if they are being honest then we will be among the first to be able to report on the renovations. We will be sure to post our observations as this site as we have obtained much valid information here and wish to pay back our debt.
njdesirecpl
Desire Devotee

Postby Dandy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

To those that are confuse about time frames....
5 weeks in Mexican time = 20 weeks in real time. That is if all goes well.
Dandy

Postby karlita » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43 pm

HOLA, we just got back from desire, Thanks to Powderfinger for posting my disco reports on here to get the word out :)

Some clarifications:
The projected opening date is march 1st, not may 1st (typo) But we were told it would be closed for approx. 5 weeks. I think there was some initial confusion at first.

We were also told they would start having lunch in the buffet dining room, however on Saturday lunch was still in the tentazione palapa as usual, the only difference was the dance floor was still there and had a dining table on top of it. So maybe they are in the process of moving lunch to the main dining room or they will just keep moving everything in/out every night.

The renovations have begun! The outside entrance to the disco has been boarded off, rerouting foot traffic under the adjacent lobby palapa. Construction equipment could be heard buzzing away saturday afternoon, excited to see what renovations they come up with.

In the mean time, seemed everyone liked the temporary disco. It Didn't get as hot as upstairs, and smokers werent confined to 'smokers alley' as before. Another good point was you could step outside of the palapa, go to the bar, etc and the music was at a comfortable level where you could have conversations.

I can see the only problem w/the new disco location could be people w/pool rooms that want to go to bed early and would be bothered by the noise, but I'm sure they would move guests if needed.
karlita
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 pm

karlita and Powder - thanks for posting first hand information information - in spite of the disco closing it appears that you had a great trip.

Dandy - you must be thinking about Jamaica - several time we have been at Desire when renovations were underway - Mexican workers rock - I am always amazed by both the speed and attention to detail in their work
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby oldseadog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 pm

I think that Dandy is thinking of the islands off the West Coast of Scotland, where many people speak Gaelic.
There is no word in Gaelic to correspond with the Spanish concept of "manana". No-one out there would understand the degree of urgency that "manana" indicates.
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby tout.prest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:56 pm

CokeMann wrote:- Mexican workers rock - I am always amazed by both the speed and attention to detail in their work

Agree 100 % ! Simply look at the staff at Desire and try to tell anyone that Mexicans dont have a superb work ethic. NEVER have I been at a resort that has a harder working staff. I have no reason to believe that any crew they hire would be less than excellent. Treat them with respect :roll: and you shall be dealt with equally.

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

WOW...First they close the Jacuzzi without warning...now this. I'd be really pi$$ed if I had a trip planned or was there and they did something like this. You are still paying 100% of the price, but not getting 100% of the resort? I would demand a discount, free night next trip, discount next trip or something. To us, the Jacuzzi and the disco/dance poles/playroom are our favorite places. I just think it is pretty sneaky to not let guests know of their plans so they could change their stay to a time when the "whole" resort is functional. Glad we are going in June...hope there are no SURPRISES then.
Just curious, do they have any poles to watch the women do their thing?
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby mfay » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm

The new guest services director- Jorge- just posted verification here in the Desire management section of the forum regarding the 5 week projected completion date.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

A little late, don't ya' think? Shouldn't they post that BEFORE the work begins to give people notice...not just springing it on them last minute. I know when we stayed at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta a couple of years ago, we were sent a message a few weeks before our trip that the pool would be closed for 3 days during our stay and that we could change our reservation if we wanted. They said we could use the pools @ the Grand Mayan next door and the Sea Garden down the beach. We chose to keep our reservation (due to work schedules) at least we were notified. This is 2 times in less than a month Desire has sprung surprises on guests.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby mfay » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Can't argue with that. Hopefully now that Jorge is on board with the forum he will be posting these kinds of announcements before the fact.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya