Latest report on disco, playroom

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Latest report on disco, playroom

Postby nawty2sum » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:21 pm

We just returned from another great visit (more about that in an upcoming trip report), and here's what we can tell you about the disco and playroom.

First, as you probably can guess, this was a total surprise to everyone at the resort. No one was told upon check-in about the closing of the playroom and disco, but word spread like wildfire on Thursday night. Thursday night was a letdown, as there was no temporary disco or playroom. The lobby bar served as the "disco," but it was too bright and too mellow to really serve that purpose. Most guests we spoke with were both surprised and disappointed. It seemed really strange that management wouldn't do this kind of major renovation during one of the lower occupancy months, like September.

Friday night was much different. The staff worked up until the last minute on both the temporary disco and playroom. We have to give management credit for the disco solution, as it seemed to work pretty well in the space used for serving lunch (and there were a lot of guests who took advantage of it). The two drawbacks we saw are that it's not going to work if there is a blowing rainstorm, and that the space is a little too brightly lit. (The new dance floor is pretty cool, though). The latter can be fixed pretty easily. All in all, a good transformation of a challenging space.

The temporary playroom is just okay. It's basically a large tent (like those used for wedding receptions, with drop-down sides) in the jacuzzi bed area. They have placed some of the cushions from the disco/playroom on the floor, and dressed it up a little with some potted plants. When we checked it out, there were 6-8 couples inside. The jacuzzi beds are not enclosed by the tent--they are just outside the tent. (IMHO, one bed is uncomfortably close to the jacuzzi bar--it's actually now underneath the covered part of the bar, and is a little claustrophobic wedged in between the bar tables, the outer wall, the restrooms, and the cubbies used for towel storage.)

We heard three different responses to the question of how long the disco and playroom would be under renovation--two weeks, five weeks, and "we don't know." As of Saturday, there was fairly major construction going on in the disco, so it is definitely not just a cosmetic redecorating.

One other unrelated thing...as of Wednesday night, there is a new menu at Suki. It received mixed reviews at our table, but change is a good thing.
nawty2sum on Kasidie
desirecupl on SDC
nawty2sum
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 21 Jan 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby miranda » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the first hand info. Although we have all been asking for the reno's, it really would have been nice if the resort had given folks a "heads up" and maybe just closed the resort for a few weeks to get the reno's done.

Sounds like everyone is taking it all in stride, though.

The jacuzzi area sounds like it's a little "cramped" and I wonder why they don't just open up one of the larger suites and use it as a playroom for those who want it.
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby karlita » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree w/you nawty, we were just there too and it was quite a suprise. I'm glad we got to be there wednesday for the "last night" of the old disco :)

Thursday we were told the disco would be closed and would be in the lobby, but we assumed it was just for the "DJ night" theme. Then we heard about the indefinite closing for renovations, and the gossip spread like wildfire as you mentioned.

The disco in the lobby was really lame and not conducive to dancing, so the new tentazione disco was a welcome relief. They really did pull it together.

The dance floor is really cool, it is (plexiglass?) with the light-up squares (think, saturday night fever) ONly issue w/the new dance floor is some drinks got sloshed on the the dance floor because it became a slip and slide on one night! I saw more than a few dancers take a tumble on it. Luckily there is adequate dancing space around the raised dance floor.
Also as you mentioned, lots of different responses as to the duration of the renovations. I think "5 wks" was the general consensus.
karlita
Desire Convert

Postby tout.prest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Just out of my own curiosity....Did the new dance floor include the poles ?? :)

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby johnandheidi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Do we get a discount off of our week's stay? If I'd have known the disco was being worked on, I wouldn't have booked for the time I did (early march).
johnandheidi

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:40 pm

WOW...First they close the Jacuzzi without warning...now this. I'd be really pi$$ed if I had a trip planned or was there and they did something like this. You are still paying 100% of the price, but not getting 100% of the resort? I would demand a discount, free night next trip, discount next trip or something. To us, the Jacuzzi and the disco/dance poles/playroom are our favorite places. I just think it is pretty sneaky to not let guests know of their plans so they could change their stay to a time when the "whole" resort is functional. Glad we are going in June...hope there are no SURPRISES then.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby sharks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:37 pm

mplsnudecpl wrote:We are going with a large group in March 24-29. We had a great time in the disco last year. I dont understand why it will take five weeks to redo a room that is basically a bar a stage and a bunch of furniture. I agree with Cali... need a discount.
remember where you are mplsnudecouple...the workers do not have the latest state of the art equipment to work with down there. You should have seen them a few years ago trying to pump sand onto the beach...it was a sight to behold and damn hilarious...
sharks

Postby CokeMann » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:06 am

mplsnudecpl wrote:We are going with a large group in March 24-29. We had a great time in the disco last year. I dont understand why it will take five weeks to redo a room that is basically a bar a stage and a bunch of furniture. I agree with Cali... need a discount.

The first thing to say (based upon JORGE ESPEJEL, Guest Service Manager msg) is that the work will probably be finished long before you get there.

Secondly I think if this work is going to take 5 weeks then this is some serious renovation - not just slap on some paint and put in new furniture

Here are some things that have be complained about and talked about with management for many years and personally I hope they take the time to address them properly

The AC and air handling in the disco has always been hit or miss - too warm, too cold, too humid & sometime really musty smelling.

The Playroom has become just plain shabby and consistently smells like dirty sneakers after a triathlon.

The bar is not really set up or positioned correctly to handle the crowds that usually occur all at once in the disco

The central dance platform with the poles is way, way too slippery and we have seen too many ladies in their FMPs injure themselves on this platform

Lastly there was talk just after Desire reopened after Hurricane Wilma, about converting an area adjacent to the disco into an attached piano lounge - I personally think this was a great idea - maybe it will happen during these five weeks.

The bottom line is that unless Desire decides to provide us in advance with what is on their "to do" list we will just have to await the grand reopening

I'm pretty sure that we will all be happy with whatever changes they make during this 5 week period.
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Temporary disco and playroom

Postby beachmann » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

Anyone have photos of how they set up the temporary disco and playroom?
We are set to go right around the completion date so not sure what we will or will not have to endure.

Thanks
beachmann

Postby 2batdesire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Coke, I had forgotten all about the piano bar - wouldn't that be great if it were in the plans for the disco renovation!!!!!!!!
2batdesire
Desire Lover

disco

Postby outlaw 32 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm

So what is the completion date. They are saying 5 weeks but from what day. What day is it going to open.
outlaw 32
Desire Fan

Postby mfay » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:07 pm

I agree- the piano bar would be a nice option. But in the last conversation I had about the disco with some of the management folks it sounded like they were leaning toward just removing the wall between the storage room
(that was to be the piano bar) and the disco and expanding the bar -seating -and dance floor area.
If someone is about to head down- sneak in and take a look !
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby tannaked » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Diane and I were there when the disco was closed for renovation. In conversation with Martin Good (Desire GM) he mentioned that the renovation would be extensive: new everything including bar, dance floor, playroom and an outdoor deck but he was confident that the work would be finished within the 5 week timeframe.
It was shocking when it happened, Carlos the bartender arrived for his shift only to find the demolition already underway and the EC staff had no idea either.
The first night the disco was held in the lobby bar area, but the following night the new temporary disco was set up and it proved to be OK. Over the next few days they were constantly making improvements. The temporary playroom was also set up and improved upon each day until we left.
This temporary inconvenience will only allow for a wonderful new disco and playroom in the future.
Hopefully we can get updates from guests over the next few weeks as to the progress.

Ritch
Couples T I 6 trips
C R C 7 trips
Hidden Beach 1 trip
Desire Riviera Maya 38 trips
still in love
tannaked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 28 Oct 2020

Postby njdesirecpl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 am

Outlaw:

We will be at Desire on March 6 for the LL takeover. The LL reps were told that the disco and playroom renovation was timed for completioni just prior to our arrival.

Apparently, the LL group is the only takeover group that books the whole resort so Desire wanted them to be the first to experience the renovated areas.

I hope that they get it finished in time.

21 days and counting till our return to paradise.
njdesirecpl
Desire Devotee

Disco/playroom renovation

Postby nicenycpl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Probably too late to throw this out there as all of the plans are probaby done...but, one of the things that they might consider adding if they are expanding the play space... is a fetish room/area...for those that enjoy a little additional spice....I mean common, for starters.....theres not a single sex swing (no pun intended! :lol: ) in the whole resort! (we actualy considered bringing ours from home but figured they might get upset by the carribiner in the ceiling!) and if youve never tried one...they are trully amazing! or how about a Tantra Chair..(look it up on line - another great piece of furniture! :) )
nicenycpl on Kik
nicenycpl
Desire Addict

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya