Liquor Stores

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Liquor Stores

Postby anksewv » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Does anyone know if you can get the van driver to stop at a liquor store on the way in to Desire. We usually grab a couple of bottles of Patron at the Charlotte airport before we leave and take them with us, since they don't really serve a good tequila at the resort. But this time we have alot of friends going with us and we'd like to know if we can stop at WalMart or a liquor store on the way in so we could get, Patron, Crown Royal and a few cases of Corona?? Thanks
We are anksewv on SLS and AFF. Hope to hear from you
anksewv
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 19 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS AFF

Postby CokeMann » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 pm

If it is a shared van then the answer would be no

If it is a private (you only in the van) transfer then yes it's possible - it will cost you extra (you will have to negotiate that with the transfer company) since WalMart and liquor stores that might have what you asked for are all in Cancun City & HZ which is the opposite direction from Desire when exiting from the aiport
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby anksewv » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 pm

but those items are available to buy in Cancun. We'd hate to get down there and find out they don't have Patron or Crown
anksewv
Desire Fan

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Like Cokeman said, there are no liquor stores or wal mart "on the way" to the resort....as you leave the airport and get to the main highwya, left takes you to Cancun ... right takes you to desire. We usually bring alcohol with us in our checked baggage (bubble wrapped & packed in the center of our clothes). The extra time (1/2 hour at least) and cost (extra $15-$20 cab) to buy your alcohol there sure doesn't seem worth it. If you have a private taxi you would be able yo do it....not a shuttle or private transportation since they are on a strict time schedule.

Terry
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby anksewv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Would anyone know what the cost is for a cab from desire into cancun and back?
anksewv
Desire Fan

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 pm

I want to say it is about $30 each way.....taxis are not cheap in cancun. If you plan togo, see if you find another couple who wants to go also.....split the cost.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby CokeMann » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 pm

If you are looking at the most cost effective way to do this here is my recommendation<br> (assuming that you do not already have your transfers booked and paid for)

Book your airport to Desire transfer with USA Transfers
http://www.entertainment-plus.net/tour_tpt_pm.cfm?aff=ancu2
(we have used them multiple times, very reliable and also inexpensive.)

Book a private van (which will hold up to 10) $50 one way to Desire, then when you book this van add a stop at the Superama Walmart plaza. The plaza also has a Sam's and La Europea Liquor store, which has the best prices in town.

It is $30 per hour to add the stop and must be booked in advance so that they can schedule the time.

FYI - A taxi from Desire to the WalMart, La Europea Liquor store plaza(which has probably the best selection and pricing on liquors) will be about $40 each way
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby anksewv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Thank you, I'll pass this along to our group and see what they would like to do. Sounds like it would be cheaper just to buy it here and pack it in our suitcase, unless the exchange rate would let you get the liquor at half the price it is here in the states???
anksewv
Desire Fan

Postby vacacioneseneldesire » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

but those items are available to buy in Cancun. We'd hate to get down there and find out they don't have Patron or Crown

Just and advice, I seriously doubt you will find "Patron", i think that brand is export only. I have never seen it in mexico, heard a lot of it from people from the states... Crown... mmm... not even heard of it.

However i will recomend Don Julio as the finest mexican tequila, make sure it's "añejo" not white. Also "cazadores" or "tradicional" are very good tequilas... always the añejo (aged) presentation. I don't remember wich of these are avaliable at Desire, maybe they are... in that case give them a try.

M&M
Mexican Couple
vacacioneseneldesire

Postby anksewv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks m$m, we do like the don julio, its very good, just has a little more bite than the Patron gold. Crown Royal is a canadian wiskey, very popular here in the states.
anksewv
Desire Fan

Postby CokeMann » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

FYI Desire has:

Tequila:
- El Milagro
- Don Julio Blanco
- Don Julio Reposado

Whiskey:
- Canadian Club

And I also agree, you probably won't find Crown Royal unless you bring it yourself
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby kurtandKir » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I too have suffered for Desire not having Crown Royal; my standard drink. I think this time I will bring a bottle...

For Patron, that stuff is made for the US market. You won't see anyone drinking that in Mexico. For the price of one bottle of that stuff, you can buy a lot of good stuff in Mexico. The bartenders at Desire will tell you their favorite tequila if you ask.
kurtandKir
Desire Convert

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya