Latest Covid situation at DRM....

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Latest Covid situation at DRM....

Postby Justskin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:47 pm

We're popping on DF's lately wanting to try and gain some perspective on what's going on with C-19 infections etc. Info continues to be very scarce.
Curious on updates.... how many are getting this virus while traveling to DRM or DP? How many are encountering others that suspect that may be coming down with this while at the resort? Please share what you can if you've been there. There seems to be a steady but small stream of folks still going.

We realize that things are understandably quieter on this forum, but we're surprised just how little is posted about this overall.
Help if you can and post for those of us who are wondering.

Thank you!
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 13 Sep 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Re: Latest Covid situation at DRM....

Postby Bileve22 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:48 pm

We were at DRM from 7/31-8/6. We only had dinner one time or spent any time with another couple the first night, just dinner and hanging out at the pool. After that, we practiced social distancing and spent our time at the beach on the beds only really interacting with staff who were wearing masks every single time. I started sneezing some a few days before we were supposed to leave, but I have bad allergies, so I didn't worry about it. My husband felt fine. I felt a little overheated in the airport, but went through the temp scan with no issues. By the next day, Friday, 8/7, I felt terrible. Chills, cough, nauseous, but again didn't really think it was anything big, because I usually have a sinus infection every August due to allergies in NC. I felt terrible for about 5 days still thinking it was a bad sinus infection until about the 5th day when I lost my sense of taste and smell. That let me know what I was dealing with. I didn't go get tested, self-quarantined for 21 days with my family, and monitored my oxygen. I feel better now, but I am fatigued very easily. My husband and children had all been sick with it before the lockdown and I thought I had gotten a mild version of it then. Apparently, it wasn't enough for my immune system to fight it off this time. No one else in my family got sick this time even though we were all together for 21 days and my husband was with me the entire time at DRM. I feel like the resort did what they were supposed to do to try to limit exposure and there isn't any way to tell how I was exposed. We didn't go to Theme nights, the disco, or the jacuzzi (except when no one else was there). I would say if you're worried about catching it, definitely don't go. It won't keep us from returning in the future and I'm glad we went for the sake of our mental health.
Bileve22

Postby eddieandjojo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Justskin wrote:We're popping on DF's lately wanting to try and gain some perspective on what's going on with C-19 infections etc. Info continues to be very scarce.
Curious on updates.... how many are getting this virus while traveling to DRM or DP? How many are encountering others that suspect that may be coming down with this while at the resort? Please share what you can if you've been there. There seems to be a steady but small stream of folks still going.

We realize that things are understandably quieter on this forum, but we're surprised just how little is posted about this overall.

Thank you!

Simply do a search and you'll read about several that have come back from both resorts and tested positive.
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby txcouple13 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am

Justskin wrote:We're popping on DF's lately wanting to try and gain some perspective on what's going on with C-19 infections etc. Info continues to be very scarce.

Thank you!

We were there July 31-August 6th, were supposed to stay until the 8th, and tested positive on August 7th. We had interaction with only 3 other couples, no "fun" time, just hanging out. We did room service daily for breakfast, lunch daily at restaurant, and room service for dinner all but two nights. We mostly hung out at the beach, no jacuzzi time at all, and only disco twice.

We all began communicating in the group and 34 tested positive, several spent time in the hospital. Crazy to see how easily and quickly it spread, especially with having limited contact with others. My husband and I are younger, healthy, and no underlying medical conditions and had a horrible time with COVID. I would say if worried at all do NOT go because I feel it is way under reported, mostly out of fear of people not being so nice. I knew people were going and had tested positive so we knew it was a risk, but feel now like it is almost a certainty. So yes odds are you will recover but don't underestimate the disruption to your lives, and the financial aspect, we couldn't see our children for 22 days.
RM- August 2013
RM- September 2015
RM- July 2016
RM- July 2017
RM- August 2018
RM- July 2019
RM- August 2020

Kasidie- txcouple13
txcouple13
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 31 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby Justskin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks guys, genuinely appreciate the insights!

Txcouple, we 'get it'....sometimes telling the truth about something even in the most benign and kind way seems negative, it's not 'nice' as you stated, and people often tune out negativity and negative people.
We value the straight scoop on everything and we'll continue to be glad with our recent decision on cancellation for next week.

We're going to deal with virus crap if we have to, but dealing with it 4000 miles from home in another country reads like a bad call on our part after reading the experiences and advice from others who tried it.
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

Postby lovedesire100 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm

My wife and I were at rm aug 25th till the 31st. We moved our trip twice due to the big C.... We were super excited for our trip and especially pumped because for the first time in 6 trips we had two couples coming with us! Well... after all the Covid posts on Facebook our friends cancelled their trip. We understood their concerns but were disappointed, especially because we planned to social distance and having friends there would make it much easier to keep away from the crowd. We decided to move forward with our vacation regardless with the understanding that it was very possible we would contract the virus but we’re going to stay safe as possible. We are 41 &39 years old and both very healthy. The staff is nothing less than stellar In every category possible! I don’t think there is anything more the resort could possible do to keep everyone safe. We even seen them spraying down the gift shop after hours with disinfectant . The first few days we were super careful. We used masks anytime we encountered other guests. One night The buffet was closed due to a members dinner and the only restaurant Open on the sushi restaurant. We walked in and thought it was to crowded for us to be comfortable and walked out.....well Manager follows us and apologizes and tells us to give him our order and he set up a table outside for us!!! We were blown away how accommodating they were for people that wanted to social distance. Lifestyle fun aside... this is why we keep coming back. The staff is incredible! If you’ve been there before you know that after a few days all the guests kinda know eachother that week and most knew that we social distancing (my wife was very nervous) and would explain to people that wanted to have a conversation lol so.... then came the foam party. After a few too many drinks we were in the pool flirting with a few hot couples and before we knew it we were hooking up on the pool beds!! Between the drinks and the sexiness around us we broke all our Covid rules! Damit!! Lol most of the other guests and a few of the staff (Africa) threw their hands up in the air and were like... what happened?? Lol it was a funny moment. After that we figured screw it and we might as well just have fun now! We had a blast the rest of our trip with no issues whatsoever.... we flew home with no issues and no symptoms. Second day back home wifey had a little fever. Oh boy here we go...we both got tested and we’re positive. Thankfully it’s been super mild! Like almost nothing, my wife had a light fever of 100.2 for a day and a half and I myself had a little pressure in my chest and a slight headache. I’ve been more uncomfortable with a head cold... but that’s us and it could have been worse. People we stayed in contact with all got the virus and everyone has been just as mild as we were. One couple that was just as nervous as we were that didn’t break down in their Covid protocol and kept there distance from everyone went home with the virus. For everyone reading this post... understand that if you go to the resort you will contract virus!! You are entering a small resort and where most (99%) of the guests are not using masks or distancing. This virus is extremely contagious and can stay in the air up to 3 hours and lasts on Surfaces like bathroom doors, handrails into the pool etc... it’s almost unavoidable if you decided to go. That being said... I’m happy we went and we had a blast! I don’t care how careful you think you are, if you go understand your going home with it. It’s the unfortunate world we’re living in and you have to make the choice for yourself. My wife and I don’t have children and we both are working from home so quarantining was not a problem. Hope this answers any questions.
lovedesire100
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 17 Nov 2018

Postby NaughtyKittenandB » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 am

My wife and I were at RM in June and at Pearl in August. We were fine both times. We ate in restaurants for every meal, attended the night time entertainment and the disco at both resorts. We didn't engage in any play time with others, but we were certainly next to others at the various bars during our stay.

To echo what I posted in other groups - the hotel and staff are doing absolutely everything they can.

Our attitude has been if we get it, we get it. You can't isolate a virus that is present in over 200 countries out of existence and we are not willing to simply stay home for 1-2 years.

We do know others visitors to Desire have had it, and we do know staff that has had it.

If you think the risks outweigh the rewards, by all means, do not go.

If you think that everything in life carries a risk, then make your own choice.

We chose to go and we've been fine both trips.
Bryan & Kelli
SZC, SLS: BandK6766
FetLife: NaughtyKitnandB
NaughtyKittenandB
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 16 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SZC and SLS

Postby Peachfuzz55 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am

We were there in August as well. We didn't hook up with any other couples but we certainly didn't 'social distance' either. Ate at the restaurants every meal and partook of the nightly activities every evening. The day after we got home we both were feeling a little down so we got tested. Guess what??? We had COVID!!
Several other couples that we connected with on social media also reported that same results. We are in good health and are fit but that stuff kicked our butts. After a week we went back to the ER and she had pneumonia in one lung and was severely dehydrated. After a round of fluids and some meds they sent us home. Luckily we managed to stay out of the hospital but that stuff is real. I will reiterate what everyone else is saying - The staff is amazing and doing everything they can. Just know if you go you should have a plan in place in case you become ill while you are there. You will get stopped at the airport in Mexico if you show a fever on their scanner. They have a doctor on staff and he will perform a wellness exam. If you show symptoms of COVID, you will transported to the hospital for testing. If you are positive, you have to quarantine for 14 days at your own expense and you cannot go back to your resort. I only know this because i Googled it and so if its on the internet you know its true. :lol: :lol:
Peachfuzz55

We arrive on: 15 Aug 2019

Postby lovedesire100 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 am

Glad you’re feeling better Peachfuzz55. Two weeks later I’m still sick. Not horrible but just feels like a head cold that doesn’t want to go away. Lost my taste and smell too. Thankfully wifey has made a full recovery. I would tell people that make the decision to go to not even bother to social distance. If you enter the resort and never had the virus you will most likely get sick so might as well enjoy yourself!
lovedesire100
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 17 Nov 2018

Postby Justskin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Bump...
Hope that all affected are doing better, and/or are staying well.

Curious on any updates with more recent travelers...
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

Postby klhslh » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:03 pm

We have been watching and waiting but just canceled 10/10 - 10/17 (which we had pushed from April 2020). Too many scary stories plus not the occupancy rate we would want. We'll wait til 100% up and running with full occupancy and full fun~!!! :D
KLHSLH
Awaiting our 2nd trip to Paradise..
klhslh

We arrive on: 26 Sep 2019

Postby cphillips » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:13 pm

klhslh wrote:We have been watching and waiting but just canceled 10/10 - 10/17 (which we had pushed from April 2020). Too many scary stories plus not the occupancy rate we would want. We'll wait til 100% up and running with full occupancy and full fun~!!! :D

My travel agent just had one of her colleagues return from being at RM. she said the week they were there it was 80% full, and she thought it stood a good chance to be 100% by the time we go.
I was already committed financially and wasn’t wavering when I asked.
cphillips
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 Oct 2020

Postby CokeMann » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:34 pm

cphillips wrote:My travel agent just had one of her colleagues return from being at RM. she said the week they were there it was 80% full, and she thought it stood a good chance to be 100% by the time we go.
I was already committed financially and wasn’t wavering when I asked.

FYI - sorry but that is BS from your TA - reality check below
- all resorts on the Mexican Riviera Maya, Cancun and Cozumel up until 10 days ago where limited, by law, to a maximum of 30% total occupancy.
- currently all resorts on the Mexican Riviera Maya, Cancun and Cozumel are limited, by law, to a maximum of 60% total occupancy.
- this may change and revert back to the 30% if the local Covid case count continues to increase
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby nokidclub » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 am

I believe the law states that occupancy is measured based on a percentage of total weekly available capacity, so there could be some specific days where the actual daily occupancy is higher than 60% while other days In the same week are lower.
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby Longislandlovers » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:36 am

I believe it is the average of the week, we were there late August. Definitely quiet during the week and seemed pretty full on the weekend. As far as the virus goes, I'd say the resort is a fraction of the problem. You have transportation back and forth to airports (home & Mexico) airport terminals, bathrooms (BTW, I personally feel they're the worst), luggage handlers, airplanes....etc. Like others have mentioned if you're worried or scared, don't go. We had fun, the resort is trying their best to make it safe. Definitely take some vitamin C & Zinc prior to going and while your there. We're planning on returning this November, we're not going to let this virus run our lives.
RM X 12
Pearl X 21
Trump 2024
Longislandlovers
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 04 Nov 2022

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya