Fitness Facilities

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Fitness Facilities

Postby Lizdez42 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 am

Good Day;
Ontario, Canada couple heading to Desire for the first time in a couple of weeks (we are Hedo veterans).
We have not been able to locate any detailed information on the facilities / equipment that are available in the "fully equipped gym". For those of you who have used the fitness facility at Desire, can you advise us as to the type of equipment that is available (i.e., treadmills, ellyptical trainers, free weights, etc.)?
Thanks very much!
Lizdez42

quick answer

Postby great scot » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:08 am

It's not actually a bad fitness facility for a resort. They have an ellyptical trainer, and a couple treadmills. I lift weights and I was pleased to find a decent assortment of machines and free weights. I did manage to get a couple decent workouts (!!) in between beachbed naps and hot tub vists. They also do massages in the same building if you are seeking a different type of workout. Hope this helps.
great scot
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 25 May 2016

Postby tout.prest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Agree with great Scot. Its actually a pretty decent gym, for a resort. Fairly basic, but that should be all most people want when they are on vacation right ? :roll: There are TV's in there as well, but the station selection is terrible so bring your I-Pod if you like to work out to media.
The gym is extremely underutilized (Read: Empty 97% of the time), but is equipped with nice large steam rooms as well. If you want to use them though, you should ask the front desk to power them up in advance as they are not left running when the gym is empty.

Steve :wink:
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby Lizdez42 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Thank you for the info - we now have a better idea what to expect at the facility - much appreciated!
Lizdez42

Postby tannaked » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 am

FYI - We just returned yesterday and were told that the gym is about to undergo a complete renovation. They have set up a large marquis tent on the tennis court and are transferring the gym equipment to it as a temporary gym. Hopefully the work will take only a week or so.

The plan is to redo the concrete floor itself, then a new gym floor over top of it. They have 2 new ellipticals and are expecting new treadmills. Some additional new equipment and free weights are also coming as well as more televisions. If the finished product is anything like the disco/playroom it should be excellent when completed.

The sauna is also out of service at this time as they have had a water leak in the floor that is being repaired. Erick told me that all new wood for the sauna is on it's way from South America for the benches and walls/ceiling.

Ritch
Couples T I 6 trips
C R C 7 trips
Hidden Beach 1 trip
Desire Riviera Maya 38 trips
still in love
tannaked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 28 Oct 2020

Postby tropez » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:05 am

Nice, a new gym by the time we get there!
tropez
Desire Fan

Postby tout.prest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 am

Wow ! Its so great to see that Desire has upgraded so many aspect of the resort within the last year ! First the pool, then the jacuzzi, then the Disco and playroom, and now the spa/gym. Really makes me feel like they are listening to the guests and trying to exceed expectations. Good for them.
Guess this means that the gym will be down during our upcoming visit though ( Working out outside in the Mexican heat doesn't sound that appealing to me ) . Oh well, I guess I just won't be able to workout for a week............damn ! :roll:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby Powderfinger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 am

Good news, gym renovation will make Christine one very happy woman! The one complaint last trip was that they were down to one working treadmill, and no matter what the night before is like she HAS to run....gotta love all the upgrading going on around the place......
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby tannaked » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Steve and Eric,

You have hit the nail right on the head. Management has been listening and are responding with this upgrading program. We may not like the unnanounced fashion in which they have been proceeding, but the results are so far very impressive.

Ritch
Couples T I 6 trips
C R C 7 trips
Hidden Beach 1 trip
Desire Riviera Maya 38 trips
still in love
tannaked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 28 Oct 2020

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya