A Few Unanswered Newby Questions (Sorry Long)

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

A Few Unanswered Newby Questions (Sorry Long)

Postby OhioCouple11 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:27 am

**First off I’d like to apologize for the length of this, I may have gotten carried away** Hopefully it helps other interested first timers.

I need to thank all the members of this board. After my wife requested a “real vacation” now that we’re vax’d and we both agreed we needed something fun/different/bucket list to look forward to after 14 months of monotony, we booked our first trip yesterday and then I found this little corner of the web. I spent most of today shirking responsibilities and reading forum posts. So again thanks for all the knowledge and building our excitement. I’m like Charlie Bucket and this trip confirmation is my golden ticket...(significantly less involvement with an elderly relative in this particular situation)

We do have a few questions I was looking for clarification on, or just couldn’t find the answer for. For context, we are a mid 30’s married couple of 10 years, together for 15. No Kids. We are not LS but have nothing against being around it and looking forward to our first CO vacation. We have a passion suite booked for 6 nights starting 9/20.

1) My wife and I both enjoy podcasts and books on tape. We completely understand and appreciate the no photography rule but wondering if that means no phones. Is it ok to have your cell phone at the beach or pool to use with headphones while relaxing?

2) Our room supposedly comes with free round trip transfers. We gave them our air info but never received any word of it with the booking. Do they send that closer to the date or should we call and confirm with them? Is the ride pretty decent?

3) What’s the bug situation like in September? Deet and cock skin don’t mix, but Zika dick would be a real bummer.

4) Do y’all go to a tanning bed first? I think the only thing worse than Zika Dick would be a sunburnt scrotum ... I’m thinking some pregame fake sun might get my man skin prepared. Since this is our first CO establishment, my little dude has about 2-3 total hours of UV exposure in his 36.5 years on this earth. Do you put sun screen on below the belt? How does that work when play time starts? Maybe I’m over thinking this but SPF can’t be good for the hoo-ha...

5) What’s the security situation like around the pool/hot tub? With no pockets, I imagine we’ll have a bag of some sort with tip money, phone, a room key, whatever... I’m not talking about leaving my family heirlooms laying out, but generally speaking is it ok to leave pocket contents on the chair/bed while drinking and pretending not to have sex floating around the pool (not that we would ever break the rules like that)?

6) We’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to stay at some really nice places where the butler service was pretty incredible to the point we felt bad how hard they worked. That said, what should we expect here? I didn’t see much in the way of what they do other than bring your bags to the room. What other services are they capable of?

I can’t think of anything else at the moment, but again thanks for any and all info you can share. I have some OCD when it comes to planning travel, and knowing what to expect/ask for/etc makes it way easier. Can’t wait to get there and just unplug and turn off the brain for 6 days.
OhioCouple11
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 20 Sep 2021

Re: A Few Unanswered Newby Questions (Sorry Long)

Postby LuckySevens » Sat May 22, 2021 7:39 am

OhioCouple11 wrote:**First off I’d like to apologize for the length of this, I may have gotten carried away** Hopefully it helps other interested first timers.

I need to thank all the members of this board. After my wife requested a “real vacation” now that we’re vax’d and we both agreed we needed something fun/different/bucket list to look forward to after 14 months of monotony, we booked our first trip yesterday and then I found this little corner of the web. I spent most of today shirking responsibilities and reading forum posts. So again thanks for all the knowledge and building our excitement. I’m like Charlie Bucket and this trip confirmation is my golden ticket...(significantly less involvement with an elderly relative in this particular situation)

We do have a few questions I was looking for clarification on, or just couldn’t find the answer for. For context, we are a mid 30’s married couple of 10 years, together for 15. No Kids. We are not LS but have nothing against being around it and looking forward to our first CO vacation. We have a passion suite booked for 6 nights starting 9/20.

1) My wife and I both enjoy podcasts and books on tape. We completely understand and appreciate the no photography rule but wondering if that means no phones. Is it ok to have your cell phone at the beach or pool to use with headphones while relaxing?

2) Our room supposedly comes with free round trip transfers. We gave them our air info but never received any word of it with the booking. Do they send that closer to the date or should we call and confirm with them? Is the ride pretty decent?

3) What’s the bug situation like in September? Deet and cock skin don’t mix, but Zika dick would be a real bummer.

4) Do y’all go to a tanning bed first? I think the only thing worse than Zika Dick would be a sunburnt scrotum ... I’m thinking some pregame fake sun might get my man skin prepared. Since this is our first CO establishment, my little dude has about 2-3 total hours of UV exposure in his 36.5 years on this earth. Do you put sun screen on below the belt? How does that work when play time starts? Maybe I’m over thinking this but SPF can’t be good for the hoo-ha...

5) What’s the security situation like around the pool/hot tub? With no pockets, I imagine we’ll have a bag of some sort with tip money, phone, a room key, whatever... I’m not talking about leaving my family heirlooms laying out, but generally speaking is it ok to leave pocket contents on the chair/bed while drinking and pretending not to have sex floating around the pool (not that we would ever break the rules like that)?

6) We’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to stay at some really nice places where the butler service was pretty incredible to the point we felt bad how hard they worked. That said, what should we expect here? I didn’t see much in the way of what they do other than bring your bags to the room. What other services are they capable of?

I can’t think of anything else at the moment, but again thanks for any and all info you can share. I have some OCD when it comes to planning travel, and knowing what to expect/ask for/etc makes it way easier. Can’t wait to get there and just unplug and turn off the brain for 6 days.

First off, welcome! Secondly, condolences.... all the other places you have on your travel “to do” list are permanently one slot lower now. Every time it’s time to book a vacation from now on, your first thought is going to be “Desire!” I’ll try to keep all of this brief, but that’s not my strong suit:

1) phones *technically* can be used, and they can provide you a neon sticker to place over the camera. All of that being said, people (including us) are generally pretty damn squeamish to see a phone out. Lots of people could risk a lot (teachers, executives, etc.) if there was evidence of their “leisure activities.” Finally, we find that it’s part of the amazing freedom of this place to be disconnected. Phones are left in the room, and checked extremely sparingly... and it’s wonderful.

2) You need to initiate transfers separately, even if they are comped. An email or phone call should do the trick.

3) The resort and municipality do a really good job at mosquito control. If you’re one of those people who just attracts mosquitos from miles around like MsLobos, there are some natural options that don’t smell like dad’s ole’ camping trip the way deet does.

4) A lot of people put down a base tan first, yes... some folks look downright cooked to a golden brown :lol: As for me, I use the spray-on sunscreen for all my body, but do rub in some of the cream kind on the twig n’ berries first for double protection. Never had an issue. THAT SAID - if a lovely lady is kind enough to want to sample those goods, it would be kind to be rid of that by then.

5) You nailed it... everyone has a go bag with sundries. I’ve never heard of one story of things going missing. People tend to know people at Desire, as opposed to just seeing random strangers, so if someone came around snooping it would get noticed.

6) On paper, the services are pretty standard. There’s not some amazing extra stuff... but this is the best service I’ve ever seen anywhere. It’s the manner and quality of the service, but above that it’s the personalities and the genuine engagement that is truly remarkable. They know your name, your drink at the pool, your drink at the hot tub, your drink at the club, your drink at the hot tub AFTER the club. They are truly invested, and that makes all the difference.

Hope that helps! Newbies always overthink literally everything. Once you go you’ll realize this is the place on earth where you have to think/worry the LEAST. Start now and save! Hahahah ;)
Pearl: 11/20, 3/21, 3/22, 3/23, 6/23, 3/24
RM: 6/21
LuckySevens
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Jun 2023

Postby texascouple1208 » Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 am

I think MountLobos covered your questions well.

I will say, we carry our phones with us at Desire most of the time - maybe not to the hot tub. As long as you don't look like you are using it to take pictures of someone other than yourselves, and assuming you are cognizant of what's in your background, it should not be a problem. The stickers they issue can be an extra signal to others that you aren't taking pictures. We do try to unplug at Desire, but have to stay in touch with home due to kids.

We do travel with bug spray of some type usually, but we've only really needed it at night on one trip.

Regarding security - security seems mostly focused on keeping people who don't belong out of the resort, and they do a good job of it. They also patrol the beach pretty thoroughly. Sometimes my wife gets up before me and goes to the beach and I've noticed when I show up to join her that security is unobtrusively keeping an eye on her to make sure she isn't bothered, although the beach is usually pretty quiet anyway. We've never had or heard of any issues with things being taken from around the pool or hot tub.

Enjoy your trip.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby Cheers2US » Sat May 22, 2021 2:30 pm

Greetings from another Ohio couple!

I have seen guests using phones, tablets, even laptops. Some people bring speakers. As long as you don't look like you are taking photos of other guests, you should be OK. I did once see one guest who had just arrived to the pool area. She was overwhelmed by all the visual stimulation, whipped her phone out and started taking photos around the pool. Security came with 2 minutes and confronted her.

As far as transfers between the airport and the resort, I'd say call or email the resort to set that up. We've only used either USA Transfers or Canada Transfer for transportation, and both services are excellent (about $55USD RT for 2 people)

You might need to pack insect repellent. For the most part, I'd say the mosquitos are not a big issue. However, there were 1 or 2 nights (over maybe 7 or 8 visits total) where mosquitos for extra bitey. Most of our visits have been mosquito-free.

Tanning bed? I don't know why you'd need that, but you can if you want. We've seen people come in from pasty to sunkissed to sunburnt so whatever makes you comfortable.

As far as the security of your belongings at the pool: It's generally safe. I don't think I've ever heard of another guest being robbed. However, with that said, it would be foolish, as a general precaution, to not keep an eye on your stuff when you leave it alone. I sometimes bring a carabiner and attach my bag to the chair if possible.
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby OhioCouple11 » Sat May 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Thank you for all taking the time to reply. I know we’re over thinking most of this but I think its just a combination of wanting to make sure we are prepared and just a bit of nervous excitement.

Re: phones - We completely get the reason phones can be troublesome. We certainly appreciate the diligence given and the mutual respect of the other guests in this regard as we’d feel the same about others pointing phones indiscriminately around. Sounds like being aware, keeping it tucked away inside a bag, and a sticker for good measure if we absolutely feel we must have it is the way to go.

Re: Security - This makes me feel so much better and I know my wife will appreciate this as well. I tend to get antsy when I lay around doing nothing for too long. My wife on the other hand would be perfectly content to sit on a day bed all day with a good book as long as she has a steady stream of refreshments and ample sun screen. This also makes hopping in and out of the pool much less of a thing. We’ll add some type of strap to our list so we can anchor our bag to our chairs.

I think the thing we’re most excited by is meeting new people and the general friendliness of the vibe. Before reading the board, we were worried that we’d be labeled as the “prudes” if we didn’t jump right in, but it sounds like no matter what you decide to do after the night is over, as long as you’re open to having good conversations, meeting new people, and generally partying hard, we’ll fit right in.

Thanks again for those that took the time to help out an excited newby! We will definitely try to pay it forward after our visit!
OhioCouple11
Desire Fan

Postby Rossy » Sat May 22, 2021 9:53 pm

You sound like me the first time we went. I was worried about everything and my wife, she was ready to tell the USAtransfers driver to take us back to the Airport before we even walked in. Every time has been great but man, nothing beats that first time for us. It was the absolute greatest trip we had ever taken

Everything the previous people said is spot on.

I know you didn't ask about this but you sound a lot like me....So if I were to give advice (other than what the people already said) to someone going for the first time it would be to take part in the theme nights and have a great time doing it. We did not take part our first trip and it was the only regret. We have done it each of the last 3 trips we took. We are arriving tomorrow at RM and we will take part in all the theme nights this week as well.

Have fun my friend.
Relax, have a drink, and meet some amazing naked people.
Rossy
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 22 Nov 2019

Postby nokidclub » Sat May 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Congrats on taking the leap to visit Desire! We have been to Desire 8 times and agree with everything that has been said thus far. One addition - the only time we had any issues with mosquitos was when we decided to have a late night romp in one of the beach beds. Be advised that there are “sand flies” that come out at night and can give bites similar to mosquitos.

Every trip after that, we stayed away from the beach at night (especially when naked) and never had a problem again. YMMV, but that was our experience/discovery.

Cheers!
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby texascouple1208 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 am

Follow up tip - don't keep your phone next to your room key. It has a tendency to demagnetize/deprogram the key and you end up walking into the lobby (usually naked) to get a new one.

Totally agree with the advice to go big on the theme nights.
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

Postby OhioCouple11 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:35 am

We are excited about theme nights. That’s not generally our thing but we are committed to embracing the “uncomfortable” this trip. I’m just excited about online shopping and picking out outfits with my wife.

I’m thinking about buying a few pairs of linen pants for the nicer nights and just rocking some linen and loafers and keep the suits at home. I told my wife my goal is no socks or underwear the whole trip. She just rolls her eyes.

So can anyone tell me more about these yellow bracelets? I feel like they should say “fresh meat” on them. Hahah. Seriously though I’m kind of liking the idea. Our goal is just to have fun and meet some new people we can hopefully create some friendships with. We’re always looking for fun people to travel with.
OhioCouple11
Desire Fan

Postby texascouple1208 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:12 am

When we made our first trip they were using white bands for first time visitors (and for guests who had been before, but were not members), so we didn't really stand out.

We like the idea of yellow bands and have joked with the front desk staff that we would like to have some on return trips, even though it was not our first visit. We always make a point of saying hello to anyone with a yellow band and just make sure they are enjoying their trip.

Linen pants work well. You won't see anyone in a coat. Chinos and a polo shirt or a Cuban style guyabera shirt are my usual dinner outfits. I almost never wear underwear at Desire, but socks are occasionally necessary. Being naked most of the day and then putting on underwear just seems a little much. My wife wears panties as part of her outfit - or as her outfit.

Also - do the photo shoot. I promise it is worth it.
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

Postby OhioCouple11 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Haha photo shoot sounds fun, but that might pushing it for my wife. She’s got a rockin body and it would be great fun, but it might take a trip or two to get her to agree to memorializing things in pictures (with an outside photographer). Baby steps. She agreed to go for 6 days. Next step is to embrace the nakedness.

The reality is I talk a big game but it’s my first time too. I’m sure we’ll both be nervous when the time comes and it’s time to drop our bottoms and let our freak flag fly.
OhioCouple11
Desire Fan

Postby Cheers2US » Mon May 24, 2021 1:29 pm

I think for most people, the first day of the first trip is nerve-wracking: from weeks before the trip, to day of, to the airport, on the plane, to the transportation and upon check-in. That said, almost everyone (probably everyone) loses that nervousness, that hesitation, that sense of doom after a few minutes in and around the resort.

On our very first day ever, we were a bundle of nerves up until check-in. Our room wasn't ready so we decided to have lunch at the buffet, which is right by the pool. There were naked people right outside the buffet. While in many contexts, that might seem weird, there it was totally normal and once we got over the "omg do you see that??" minute, it all felt normal and comfortable.

The other guests are nice, non-judgmental. Staff is wonderful. The resort is gorgeous, clean and very welcoming. If you do not feel comfortable in the first few moments of your visit, I'd question your sanity. (OK maybe that's a bit harsh, but I mean I can't imagine anyone, who already booked a trip, not feeling comfortable, satisfied and uninhibited at Desire)

If you haven't done so already, check out reviews on TripAdvisor
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby OhioCouple11 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm

Will do Cheers2US, thanks. I’m thinking the booze will hit our lips, we’ll take a deep breath and the rest will be a blast.

Funny story: My wife has fair skin (as an example, it was the first 85 degree day here and she got burnt just sitting at brunch for 2 hours on the patio this past weekend. She is committed to getting a deep base tan before we go so she can enjoy it all but was talking about “coverups” in case she gets burnt. We laughed thinking “how do you cover up a sun burn and not look like a prude?”
OhioCouple11
Desire Fan

Postby 13sX » Wed May 26, 2021 6:58 pm

It is a wise that you guys are thinking about protecting yourself and showing respect for the sun in Mexico. It is important that you use a great sunscreen and reapply it often, wear a hat etc... but there is shade at RM. The swim up bar in the pool has some cover, the lounge chairs have umbrellas, and the cabana beds offer protection too. It is a good idea to get up in the morning and go straight to the pool and reserve a spot that works for you. Just bring some t-shirts or something else to help the pool staff mark your chair.
13sxGW on KIK
13sX
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 09 Nov 2023

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya