“Cigar” peddlers

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

“Cigar” peddlers

Postby Maureenb76 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:46 am

Just returned from a fabulous week at RM. Because we’re not members we were assigned a beach bed most days. (We were fine with the beach, it’s quieter yet still close to everything). We were frustrated by the constant interruptions from the “cigar” sellers who really were trying to sell us drugs. We would politely say no every time but they kept coming back. Why does the resort allow this? Towards the end of our trip we were getting frustrated and I told one of them no because I “wouldn’t do well in a Mexican prison” :lol:
Maureenb76

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Re: “Cigar” peddlers

Postby gaviao » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:08 pm

Sadly, the state of Quintana Roo is under the domination of organized crime cartels. Until five years ago, these groups operated in a more discreet way with the concealed permission of the government, but without affecting the public.
Today, they act with impunity in the light of day and their business is no longer just drug sales, but extortion, trafficking, and other crimes.
These cigar sellers do not act independently, they are part of mafias that sometimes even have people infiltrated in hotels, although I doubt that in one as small as Desire.
That is the unfortunate state of insecurity in Mexico. As a Mexican, it hurts a lot.
gaviao
Desire Legend

We are from: Mexico
We arrive on: 29 Jan 2021

Postby Cheers2US » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:36 am

We have seen a military presence a few times during our trips to Temptation. I wonder if these were related to drugs? I never saw them at Desire. It was a little scary as they had guns drawn and fingers at the trigger.

ImageImage
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby bj02 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:19 am

We were there a few weeks ago, and were annoyed that one came right up to the beach bed, while we were having some intimate time. In the past they have kept their distance, and while we rather them not be there at all, at least they were down by the water.
Desire RM: 6/5-11/24
Bliss Cruise 11/10-17/24

txfuncouple6802 on SLS and SDC
bj02
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 05 Jun 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS SDC

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya