COVID test for Canadians returning home

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

COVID test for Canadians returning home

Postby nanook » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm

As Canadians we are now allowed to return to Canada with out isolating if we have both vaccine shots. We have booked our trip to RM mid Nov 21. However we still have to get a covid test 3 days before boarding our flight home but the test must be a molecular test (PCR). But what I read online was that Desires is only doing (antigen) test which are not approve for Canadians returning to board our flight home. Does anyone know if the Hotel is also doing molecular testing as well? :CAN
nanook
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Nov 2021

Re: COVID test for Canadians returning home

Postby lifex2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi,

We're heading to the Pearl the same time and wondering the same thing!

Please share if you get the info.

Happy Travels :CAN

J & D
lifex2

We arrive on: 12 Oct 2021

Postby randtcanucks2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:06 am

End of sept to pearl for us.

Flying out of US so need land borders open to get to airport, and stupid tests compliant to get back home. Looking forward to a getting back to Pearl but the logistics of it all is a pain

Cheers :CAN
randtcanucks2
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 24 Sep 2020

Postby keepitclassy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 am

will be visiting both RM & Pearl in December, fully vaccinated so I believe just the test at the resort before boarding the flight home is all that is required. I think that is pretty reasonable considering the payoff!!! :D :L
keepitclassy
Desire Convert

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl

Postby texascouple1208 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

nanook wrote:As Canadians we are now allowed to return to Canada with out isolating if we have both vaccine shots. We have booked our trip to RM mid Nov 21. However we still have to get a covid test 3 days before boarding our flight home but the test must be a molecular test (PCR). But what I read online was that Desires is only doing (antigen) test which are not approve for Canadians returning to board our flight home. Does anyone know if the Hotel is also doing molecular testing as well? :CAN

We just got back last night (and we had a great trip, but really missed having Canadians partying with us). To the best of our observation, the resort was only doing antigen testing, but we didn't think to look or ask about alternatives. There was some odd things that I didn't get a chance to follow up on, like one guest mentioning they had to pay for their covid tests. Someone just mentioned it in passing and I didn't get an opportunity to get clarification. We weren't charged anything for our antigen tests. Just speculating, that maybe the PCR test is available for an extra fee? The other thought I had was that the other guests were only staying a couple of nights and there was a minimum for free tests. FWIW, I only recall meeting US and Mexican residents this trip.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby nanook » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 pm

keepitclassy wrote:will be visiting both RM & Pearl in December, fully vaccinated so I believe just the test at the resort before boarding the flight home is all that is required. I think that is pretty reasonable considering the payoff!!! :D :L

If you are canadian and flying back home on a canadain airline you need to have the molecular/pcr test not the antigen test that the hotel is offering.
nanook
Desire Lover

Postby FraserMacDaddy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:33 pm

randtcanucks2 wrote:End of sept to pearl for us.

Flying out of US so need land borders open to get to airport, and stupid tests compliant to get back home. Looking forward to a getting back to Pearl but the logistics of it all is a pain

Cheers :CAN

It gets worse - if you're flying out of the US, not only do you need the land border to open, but you're going to need a PCR test 'administered IN THE USA.' In other words, the Mexican test won't be accepted.
FraserMacDaddy
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 23 Sep 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby FraserMacDaddy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:38 pm

keepitclassy wrote:will be visiting both RM & Pearl in December, fully vaccinated so I believe just the test at the resort before boarding the flight home is all that is required. I think that is pretty reasonable considering the payoff!!! :D :L

Sadly, this is incorrect. You will require a PCR test to re-enter Canada, and it has to be administered within 72 hours of departure. The government explicitly says antigent tests (that Desire offers) are unacceptable.

From: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
Getting tested to enter Canada
Pre-entry test requirements
All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result. You don't require a test to fly within Canada.

There are no exemptions to pre-entry testing for fully vaccinated travellers.

If you're driving to land border crossing, you must take a test in the United States within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

If you have a connecting flight:
the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
you may need to schedule the test in your transit city
All travellers must:

provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test
keep proof of your test results for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada
FraserMacDaddy
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 23 Sep 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby nanook » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Still waiting to hear back from DRM if they are going to assist us Canadians with our required testing as they did with the Antigen test. :CAN
nanook
Desire Lover

Postby chrisgorrod » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi we just got back.
Yes, the resort will get you a PCR test - it costs $168 for both of you.
You do it 72 hrs before you leave . :CAN
KIK: candjfuncouple Kasidie: Keepitfun
chrisgorrod
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 29 Jul 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: kasidie

Postby nanook » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm

I am assuming you got your results before you boarded your flight home, was it just in time or did they come after a day or two.
nanook
Desire Lover

Postby chrisgorrod » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:26 am

hi we got results next day easy process they print a copy for you to hope this helps . :CAN
KIK: candjfuncouple Kasidie: Keepitfun
chrisgorrod
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 29 Jul 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: kasidie

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya