DRM Expansion

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

DRM Expansion

Postby SJCrazy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:18 am

Desire Resort wrote:Seductive news!

At Desire Resorts, your every desire is our command, and we are always finding new ways to take our conceptual experience to pleasurable new heights. So, brace your sensual selves because we are overly excited to share with you some spectacular news: from January 15 through December 22, 2023, Desire Riviera Maya Resort will undergo a steamy expansion, adding new features Beyond Seduction!

This expansion will include the addition of more world-class rooms and suites, a spectacular new lobby, a new Mélange, which will now be a covered open-air venue, a new gorgeous spa, and a new state-of-the-art gym. Plus, there will be a breezy new venue where couples can satisfy their favorite cravings and a delicious new haute Mexican cuisine restaurant.

Additionally, we will be adding a sensual new pool, which will not only be larger but will include a more extensive space for lounging. And for those seeking a relaxing oasis, our current pool will become a Quiet Pool. To top it all off, couples will be able to mix and mingle in one all-new seductive area featuring a disco, a playroom, and a jacuzzi.

Be sure that, during construction works, our concept will remain the same, having minimal impact on our guest experience. As construction dates approach, we will be releasing more information about the exciting details of this project. Until then, stay tuned; we’ll be sending out more details real soon.

Thank you for being part of our family; our resorts would not be a global success if it weren’t for you. Get ready for what is coming. Meanwhile, experience the excitement of our two new sister properties in Miches, Dominican Republic, opening on October 1, 2022:
SJCrazy on Kasidie
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Re: DRM Expansion

Postby SJCrazy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:21 am

Oh man. I can see this being super amazing or pretty lame. Anybody got anything juicy?

Having a quiet pool and a "sensual pool" hopefully means some wilder options at the new "fun" pool.
SJCrazy on Kasidie
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

Will be at:  

Postby Geedubyuh » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:09 am

We've been going to RM for almost 20 years and been hearing that this expansion was going to happen "soon" that whole time, so we'll see.
KIK, LL, SLS, Kasadie (Geedubyuh)
Geedubyuh
Desire Lover

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 29 Oct 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: LL SLS Kasadie

Postby Powderfinger » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:28 pm

Geedubyuh wrote:We've been going to RM for almost 20 years and been hearing that this expansion was going to happen "soon" that whole time, so we'll see.

The difference this time is it's actually coming from Original itself, and not part of the Premier spiel. And, an actual date for construction.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby SJCrazy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:38 pm

Yeah, the DR expansion was "imminent" for like 10 years before it was official. I think Original has owned the empty lot north of DRM for a while now though, I assume that'll be the main operation. New pool, spa/gym, lobby probably in the new space, followed by rebuilds of those areas on the old grounds? Depending on the number of phases everything happens in I guess. They don't mention anything about changes to the disco or rooftop jacuzzi, kind of sounds like those might be the only things not really changing. Yet.
SJCrazy on Kasidie
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

Will be at:  

Postby Lkncouple » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:57 pm

SJCrazy wrote:Yeah, the DR expansion was "imminent" for like 10 years before it was official. I think Original has owned the empty lot north of DRM for a while now though, I assume that'll be the main operation. New pool, spa/gym, lobby probably in the new space, followed by rebuilds of those areas on the old grounds? Depending on the number of phases everything happens in I guess. They don't mention anything about changes to the disco or rooftop jacuzzi, kind of sounds like those might be the only things not really changing. Yet.

My guess is they won't change the garden view rooms. On the facebook page people are saying that all the new rooms around the pool will be for Members only, but I would guess that is what the sales people are saying.
Lkncouple
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 Jan 2018

Postby Powderfinger » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 pm

SJCrazy wrote: They don't mention anything about changes to the disco or rooftop jacuzzi, kind of sounds like those might be the only things not really changing. Yet.

Yeah they do....

SJCrazy wrote:
Desire Resort wrote: To top it all off, couples will be able to mix and mingle in one all-new seductive area featuring a disco, a playroom, and a jacuzzi.
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023

Postby SJCrazy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:17 pm

My bad! That'll mean that when all is said and done, if they're really doing what they say, all of the facilities will have been redone. I have to wonder what this'll mean for the price tag; we're not Temptations people, but we hear that a lot of their "young/fun" crowd got priced out after the rebuild there. I hope they keep some of the tiny cheap rooms for those of us that don't care about the room!

In the last 5 years or so it's been almost impossible to justify the Desire prices, we've just been going the extra distance to Hedo...
SJCrazy on Kasidie
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

Will be at:  

Postby BashfulDesires » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:58 pm

Our trip last March we were told ~50 rooms will be added. Assumption would be more high end rooms are added due to the increase in members.

The Garden View rooms can't get any smaller but are in need of a major overhaul/remodel, they are tired - hopefully once the new side opens they can commence a room remodel.

That's a lot of walking to get from the "new side" to the current restaurants + quiet pool. With the shrinking beach, quiet pool makes a lot of sense!

We have to think a lunch buffet area will be built next to the new Main Pool, perhaps double duty as the Mexican restaurant at night. Quiet pool, will it maintain a lunch buffet?
And glad they are expanding to a Mexican restaurant, by far, the best food we have at Desire every trip is the Mexican food on the buffet.

Will be interesting, if the lobby, lobby bar, outdoor club area, spa & gym all get demolished for a new set-up - do they add rooms in those existing areas or just remodel/rebuild larger (2nd story) in the existing footprint? The new side isn't that big - seems like ~50 rooms (if true) plus hot tub, lobby, gym/spa, restaurant, pool, disco, lobby bar, covered outdoor lounge would be a tight fit!

Temptation people definitely feel priced out but we have no idea what the occupancy rate there is and haven't spent time there since the rebuild happened. We always ask folks who travel over from Temptation how it was and just get mediocre reviews.

Economy is strong, or was strong, and people were flush with cash to go on vacation. Will be interesting with a recession looming how Original Group reacts.
BashfulDesires
Desire Lover

Postby Cheers2US » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 pm

Hope they put the jacuzzi, disco and play rooms on ground level!

A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024

Postby Headstone » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:14 am

I like the part about the covered open air Melange Bar. If they make it similar to Pearl it would be great.
TTR May 28-June 4 2022
DRM June 4-June 11 2022

DRM Oct22-29 2022
TTR Oct29-Nvv 4 2022
Headstone
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Jun 2022

Postby 2New2MN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:28 pm

I’m not sure I understand what they plan on doing with Melange Bar. Isn’t it already “open aire”? We like this much better then the setup at Pearl. Hope they keep it as is.
Kasadie - 2New2MN
Lifestyle Lounge - 2new2mn
KIK - 2new2mn
2New2MN
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 19 Aug 2022

Postby Headstone » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm

I just like the covered area for when it's raining. Right now at DRM when the rain starts people scatter and there is only so much space at the bar
TTR May 28-June 4 2022
DRM June 4-June 11 2022

DRM Oct22-29 2022
TTR Oct29-Nvv 4 2022
Headstone
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Jun 2022

Postby 2New2MN » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:28 am

Good point. We’ve been fortunate that in our seven trips, so far we’ve had about one or two days of rain. Although when it’s raining, it is a good time to get close to those around you to make new friends.
Kasadie - 2New2MN
Lifestyle Lounge - 2new2mn
KIK - 2new2mn
2New2MN
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 19 Aug 2022

Postby MachineWorks » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:55 pm

I hope the expansion/renovation is great for the resorts, but we did skip out on 2022 due to price and had a great time at the Excellence resort instead.

That being said, we were determined not to miss again and have a trip booked for April of next year. I wonder how minimal the"minimal impact" will actually be on the guest experience.
MachineWorks
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 10 Aug 2020

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya