How to save money on Desire trip

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

How to save money on Desire trip

Postby mo couple » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:16 am

My wife and I just got back a couple weeks ago from our first trip to Desire. Can anyone say AAAAAAAAAAAAAwWESOME!!!! Anyway, as great as it was, we are, of course, wanting to go back as soon as we can. We were just wondering whether any of you knew any good way to save money when travelling to Desire. Here's some ways I'd been considering (none of which we used our first time we booked there). Some of these suggestions are from folks who'd already been to Desire:

1) Stay in Cancun at cheap hotel night before and show up at resort around 9am to get 'banded' and then simply hang out around pool or beach until room is ready. Same goes when you're leaving, I suppose, don't check out until as late as possible getting maximum Desire time in. LOL
2) Try one of the Sky Auction websites for airfare or resort itself. Anyone ever use this service.
3) Check for specials throughout year for best prices for air to Cancun ie...Funjet, Cheap Caribbean
4) Stay in Gardenview booking a year out with promo rates on site now $340/night
5) Use taxi instead of private transportation. We used TransOcean our first trip and were very happy with it.
6) Book as part of a group (we're new enough not to know whether this is the main attraction of going with a groupl
7) Book with Lifestyle travel agency (again, are there savings there?

We would appreciate any and all suggestions. We're wanting to get back as soon as we can. That first time was UNBELIEVABLY FUN!!!!!! Almost surreal - best 5 days I've had in too long a time.
mo couple

Postby happycuple » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 am

To do Desire the most economically . .

1) Go in a shoulder season. Airfares and the Resort are cheaper.

2) Book with a group. Going with a group will usually get you free transfers ($75 value) and if you go with a group in the shoulder season there is less chance of the Resort being empty. Also quite often groups will have prize give aways at the Resort that may include free nights for your next stay. The group we went with last October gave away 4 free nights as prizes during our stay.
happycuple
Desire Fan

Postby mo couple » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:48 am

What is considered a shoulder season? How do I know which group is best? most fun, etc. Any recommendations?
mo couple

Postby happycuple » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 pm

mo couple wrote:What is considered a shoulder season? How do I know which group is best? most fun, etc. Any recommendations?

Well for the Resort, as you mentioned if you book far enough in advance, shoulder season is anything other than late Dec through to early April. For the Airlines though I think shoulder season (to Cancun) would be May/June and Sept/Oct/Nov.

You don't have to go with a group to get free transfers. If you BOOK individually through one of the Travel Agents that most of the groups book with you should be able to get free transfers.

As far as groups go I would ask the organizers of the group a tonne of questions. How many members, average age, is it a wild party or more mellow, percentage of lifestylers vs. non-lifestylers . . . that kind of stuff. Shop around and find what you are looking for although I think most people tend to narrow down travel dates based on family/work so tend to be confined to a certain time period and thus limited to the groups going at that time. You may find that the "funnest" groups go in months that totally don't work with your schedule.

Lot's of groups have yahoo groups or other chat sites set up as well so you could join those to get a feel for the group. Also for those not traveling with a specific group, there are yahoo groups set up for every month of travel to Desire so that you can join and get to know people that will be there at the same time as you before you actually get there.

You can find a list of groups currently going here : http://desireresorts.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=322
happycuple
Desire Fan

Groups

Postby DesireWeek43 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello Mo Couple

It really does start with what time of the year you can get away for a vacation. If you are flexible, then I fully agree with Happycuple. That is, go during the off peak season as you will generally save money on the room rates as well as airfares. We have always said, save money on the rooms and use it to stay longer :D

As for the room class , the Garden View rooms give you the best value for your dollar we thinkg. The Ocean and Garden View are pretty much the same it is just the locatoin of them. It really just comes down to if you prefer to look out your window/door and see the water, or if you do not mind the 45 second walk to get to the beach. Keep in mind the resort is not that big with just over 100 rooms. We feel this is a pro as it allows the staff to get to know you, what type of drinks you like etc. The staff really do make the place we think.

As for groups, well needless to say being we run one, we think they are a great idea. First, as stated above, you stand a good chance of getting free shuttle. If you book with some online agents or other online travel sites such as Expedia , you may have to pay for the shuttle. Last, as Happycuple said during his trip in October, our group actually gave away 6 free nights at one of our group events. As well you may be able to save on some off property excursions that the group sets up for its members.

Regardless though of the prizes etc, groups are a great idea as they allow you to get to know the others that will be going the same time as you. It is always nice to know other couples before you get to the resort to chat with around the pool.

Hope the above information helps you for your next trip. :D
Have You Been 43'd Yet?
Apr/October
KIK ID: DRMApril17
DesireWeek43
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 0- 4-2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Apr. 2021

Postby txketch » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 am

We always do #1 now and it works great. We spend time at another resort for resting, shopping, tours, etc.. then head to Desire. We also have started getting a rental car, which is not much more for a week than what we would pay for shuttles, taxis & tips and then we are free to go anywhere without having to book bus tours.

Booking through groups is usually the same pricing as offered on the website at the time you book, but maybe that depends on the group (we can never book a year in advance!). This year we are going at a time that had no promo offered at all but we were able to save $450 by booking both hotels (1 nt in Cancun and 6 nts at Desire) and airfare through Expedia. They are not cheaper when booking separate, but if you book hotel and air together then you can usually save so it was like getting a night free promo.
txketch

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya