Desire Snorkel reef.

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Desire Snorkel reef.

Postby maybemor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Well after the stormy first 36 hours things clamed down and the harbor was closed to the sailboat supposedly but the snorkel operators were morring up all day long 4 at a time so the wife and I timed it just right and snorkeled out using vests and arrived just as the mega crowds were swimming back to their boats... It is about a 500 meter swim according the the US Ranger guy we met. It seemed much longer.. I understand it is not allowed but we never slowed down on our way and the wave were big enough to hide us some.. My only worry was that you cross the fishing boat Desire sightseeing traffic lane. I kept an keen eye out for traffic and currents.
The swim goes over mostly grass about 7' deep but there is a trench 50 meters off shore and some nice fish hang out there. to the North by the two wooden poles we saw a large Lion fish hanging near the dropoff. http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/2_1lio.htm.

Then over the grass and a few scattered coral heads.. then about 100 meters East of the South mooring buoy is the main coral formation roped off. it is about 20-30meters in size and comes within a few feet of the surface in about 5 meters of water. lots of fish and nice color . Not bad exercise. So I guess we never really left Desire all week.

PS I forgot to say we did see a 5' barracuda shadowing us midway out and smaller ones closer to shore so take off you shinny stuff and wear shorts andno worry.
maybemor
Desire Fan

Postby pelagiccouple » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:55 am

Fun....! Just the two of you? What time of day did you do it?
pelagiccouple
Desire Lover

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya