Tipping USD vs MPESO

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Tipping USD vs MPESO

Postby buffster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

I have read numerous times in the various forum sections about tipping the staff, especially the room attendants and the Bar Personnel. Some Desire Travelers recommended bringing plenty of small bills (USD) for this purpose (tipping). My question is, which currency is best for any tipping? US Dollars or Mexican Pesos (I assume that is correct). Also, how often and when should you tip. I believe I read somewhere that the front desk is able to do a money exchange for guests. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This will be our first trip to an all inclusive resort.
buffster

Postby Powderfinger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:53 am

Just search "tipping", you'll find more threads than you'll have time to read.......
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby CokeMann » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 pm

If you live in the US then bring USD to tip - for anyone not living in the US, bring Pesos rather than having to convert currencies twice
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby oldseadog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:22 pm

The front desk can exchange but at a very poor rate.
Better to bring cash.
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby menage-a-minny » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 pm

We start collecting one and five dollar bills a few months before we leave for Desire. We tend to tip A LOT, $5 at dinner, and $1-2 for drinks and for service for breakfast and lunch (including a $1 tip each morning for Matilda who makes those great omelets), a couple of bucks each day for the cleaning lady. Really, we don't think they pay their staff much, and to keep the best help in Quintana Roo in Desire resort, we like to tip frequently, though admittedly it's chump change compared to what you'd spend in the State for equivalent service.
Minny and Paco Mal'ombre
menage-a-minny
Desire Convert

Postby miranda » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:22 pm

All the staff we talked to LOVED their jobs and LOVED working at Desire. Some haven't told family members where they work (and that's okay, we understand) but all we talked to are so happy to be working at Desire.

If the Resort didn't treat them well (in pay) then I don't think we would get the fantastic service we get from ALL the staff - and they do it all with a smile on their face!

We tip, too, and we know we would get great service even if we didn't.
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya