What to Tell Family (kids) and Friends

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

What to Tell Family (kids) and Friends

Postby nwright2181 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 pm

As I am sure some of you have read on my other posts...hubby and I are thinking of joining the party next Christmas.

Question is...we need to let some family and friends know where we are in the event of an emergency, but don't want to encounter any "questions" from them.

How do you get passed something like this without this :oops: . haha
nwright2181
Desire Fan

Postby springer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 pm

We tell family and friends that we are staying at one of resorts in Playa Del Carmen, pick one of the resorts, and then do a little research on the resort so we can answer some general questions.

You can email the resort and they will send you a "family friendly" phone number for you to give to your family in case of an emergency. What we usually do, however, is give our family our cell phone numbers and ask them to call one of our phones, if there is an emergency.

BTW, we purchase the ATT Mexico phone plan when we go to Mexico and then cancel it when we get back. It will lower your phone charges in case you need to use your phone. The monthly fee is cheap. Make sure you have your phone set to make international calls before you leave.

The wi-fi at the resort works pretty well. I've sent and responded to emails on the beach, so you can stay in touch with your family that way as well.
springer
Desire Convert

Postby nwright2181 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks! We were thinking of telling them that we are staying at the resort that they know we have been to before, and then just leaving Desire's phone number in case of emergency. And if they catch on that it's a different name we would just say they changed names right before we got there and that we didn't know. LOL

In the past my cell hasn't worked there. But we always buy a card on call on the pay phones.

And, of course we always check in and keep in touch by email, facebook, etc...

Just wanted to avoid "lying" to the kids...but also don't think they need to know the WHOLE truth. :wink:
nwright2181
Desire Fan

Postby CokeMann » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:28 pm

btw - nwright2181
The private vanilla/fam friendly phone number for Desire is answered as " Original Resorts, may I help you ?"

Original Resorts, the same group that owns Desire, also has two resorts located in Playa del Carmen that may be an easy cover for you.

ALDEA THAI http://www.aldeathairesort.com/

MISTIK RESIDENCE CLUB http://www.mistikresidenceclub.com/
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby nwright2181 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you...thank you!

Guess I am not the only one in this position! LOL

I appreciate the help!
nwright2181
Desire Fan

Postby miranda » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 pm

We tell some folks (who are in the know) that we are going to a clothing optional resort.

We tell others we are going to "some timeshare in Cancun- the name escapes me at the moment".

As CokeMann says, leave the number of the resort it's "safe".
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby oldseadog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:52 am

We have a woldwide mobile phone. We turn it on once a day for 10 mintes, and if the family need to contact us they send a text asking us to call.
We tell everyone that in the present holiday market, most hotels have vacancies; we say that we just hire a car and book in where we find ourselves.
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby nwright2181 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks for the tips. I really do appreciate it.

Want to have the best experience possible, and I think having all this info at my fingertips sure does help me feel more comfortable about the whole thing! :D
nwright2181
Desire Fan

Postby mrmuscle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 pm

We contact our phone service provider and have them extend our roam to include Mexico. We could phone out but the girls prefer to text. The text was free. The service cost us about $30.00 and we had a direct link when we wanted it.
mrmuscle
Desire Devotee

Postby olderII » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:00 am

Your cell phone is the best option. Make up a name of a resort by combiningg several resorts names, example Azul Dreams, Grand Casa Del Rio, it's very easy. Make sure you upgrade your cell phone with the overseas package.
olderII
Desire Devotee

Postby tikitorch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 pm

We call home from our cell phone on the drive to the hotel. We suggest with the language barrier it is much easer to email or call our cell. With the ATT international plan on your cell the rates from home are like a local call. You pay a minimal rate on your cell on that end, this is another good reason to suggest family stay in touch with your cell #. We also leave the vanilla number for emergencies.
tikitorch
Desire Convert

Postby springer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

From Desire's web site, about obtaining the "family friendly" phone number:

IS THERE A FAMILY FRIENDLY NUMBER THAT I CAN GIVE TO MY RELATIVES SO THAT THEY CONTACT ME DURING MY VACATION?
Yes, please send the following information to: guestservice@desireresorts.com and we will contact you with more information and the number that can be used.
•Full Names
•Arrival and departure date to Desire
•Hotel Confirmation Number

Note from Site Admin
It is also important to note that do this no more than 2 weeks before your scheduled arrival date - if you ask earlier than 2 weeks they won't provide the info
springer
Desire Convert

Postby springer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for the additional note.
springer
Desire Convert

Postby nwright2181 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Thank you alll...posting another question...but not here...LMAO
nwright2181
Desire Fan

Postby oldseadog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 am

OldreII,
We tried that once, (not in Mexico, though), but the computer-savvy offspring used the internet to find out that there was no such place and we had a lot of smart talking to do when we got home!
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya