Duty Free

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Duty Free

Postby theLUSTs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi
Does anyone know if when you land into Cancun whether you can get into the Duty Free before access the Customs officers?

Thanks
C&K
theLUSTs
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Feb 2018

Postby tout.prest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Nope. No access to them, as duty free is for people leaving the country only. You have to provide a valid boarding pass (proving you're leaving) and ID at the checkout .

Nice try though..... :D

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby allovatan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 am

One terminal does have duty free upon arrival, terminal 3 I believe

Check out http://www.asur.com.mx/asur/ingles/aeropuertos/cancun/map.asp
allovatan
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA

Postby mfay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 am

Yes- there is a duty free on arrival in Cancun in terminal 3.
Once you get thru immigration all you want to do is get your bags and get on your way to Desire, and the shop is easy to miss.
When you come thru immigration you go thru a little hallway to get to the baggage claim area. As you come into that huge room, directly to the left about halfway to the customs inspection area is where you'll find the store. We always stop in and pick up a couple things. Duty free on arrival is somewhat unusual- and the legality is questionable which is why you don't find the shop listed on the official Cancun airport website- but apparently there are a half dozen or so other places around the world where they do the same thing.
Just in the way of confirmation, here is a post from trip advisor from a Cancun area resident responding to a question about arrival duty free:

9. Re: can you buy champagne/alcohol at duty free upon arrival?
17 August 2010, 18:22
There is a duty free in Terminal 3 immediately after Immigration.on arrival. Prices are slightly more than major stores in Cancun such as Sam's, Costco, Walmart,but if you are going to a resort, spend the dollar or more at the airport duty free.
Our state of Quintana Roo is designated a duty free state, so prices of liquor, perfumes, etc are attractive. Quintana Roo also enjoy's an 11% value added tax (IVA) wheras the rest of Mexico is 16%. The IVA is almost always included in the marked prices including merchants and restaurants in the RM. Be sure to read the menus to see if IVA is included or ask so that you don't get double dipped
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby tout.prest » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 am

Well that changes everything now doesn't it ? I'm gonna have to start making sure I land at terminal 3 !

I love your comment on "questionable legality" Mike . Very PC of you ! LOL :lol:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby mfay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 am

I do try to have an open mind- just because it might not be legal in the USA or Canada doesn't mean it's not ok - or kind of ok- in Mexico does it ?
I think that now all international flights come in to Terminal 3 and the older Terminal 2 is just for domestic flights.
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya