Exchange Rate

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Exchange Rate

Postby KWTTMT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:49 pm

What is the current US dollar to Peso exchange rate?

Does anyony know what the cab fare from the Cancun airport to Desire is?

Thanks,
KWTTMT

Postby mfay » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Today, the exchange rate is 12.96 peso's to the dollar officially- minus the fees of course. The "street" exchange rate has been 10 to 1 for several years, and I suspect that hasn't changed. In other words if you want to use US dollars to buy an item priced in a store at $100 pesos they will likely charge you $10 US. In the past the official exchange was usually more like 11 to 1 so most people never bothered to change dollars to pesos as it wasn't worth the trouble. But at todays official rate compared to the street rate it may be worth it.
Cab fare from the airport to Desire has now shot up to $65 (only $35 from Desire back to the airport). At that price you can do better with a private shuttle company- including the one Desire offers.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby CokeMann » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm

Mike - I thought I would just clarify your post (re: taxi rates)

The official posted taxi rate from Desire to the airport is 310 Pesos (about $30 USD)

The controlled rate (when I mean controlled, that is by the Cancun airport authority) from the airport to Desire is $65 USD. The taxi drivers still only get $30, the rest goes to the airport authority as a surcharge.
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby mfay » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Wayne- you are correct of course- I tipped the guy $5 on the way back last time and that stuck in my mind. But regardless- its still too damned much !
Looks like roundtrip transfers thru Desire are now $80 and I'd assume most of the others are the same.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby CokeMann » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Mike - for us personally ya, sure it is more expensive to do taxis both ways - but considering what a week a Desire costs the transport part cost wise is just pocket change - LOL

The thing we like about taxis is instant gratification - walk out of the airport jump right into a cab and in less then 20 min thru the doors to paradise.

We have tried the "arranged transportation" thing, it may be a couple of bucks cheaper overall, but having to wait for others to gather at the airport before they get on the road and a pre arranged pick up time at Desire is just not our style
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby tannaked » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 am

Have to agree with coke about the instant gratification. We tried arranged transportation in the past but hated being tied to their schedules especially when leaving the resort. Call a cab from the lobby when YOU are ready; it's there in less than 5 minutes for your return to the airport.
Couples T I 6 trips
C R C 7 trips
Hidden Beach 1 trip
Desire Riviera Maya 38 trips
still in love
tannaked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 28 Oct 2020

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya