Swine flu ?

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Swine flu ?

Postby cacpl4realfun » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Any thoughts?
Should we cancel/postpone our reservations?
cacpl4realfun

Postby coco » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm

From what I read so far, Mexico City is the only problem area. Both the CDC and WHO (World Health Organization) is not recommending avoiding travel to these areas. It's alread here in the US, with confirmed cases in NY, CA, TX, OH, and one other state. I don't think you have to worry about canceling just yet.
coco
Desire Fan

Postby 2batdesire » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm

well, if we were going to fly ANYWHERE in the next few weeks, we would probably think a loooong time about making a trip. But, that's just us. With the nature of the resort and the guest activities, and the varying demographics of the guests at any one week, we would be rethinking our trip. (if were any time soon)

I just saw this too - airlinees are waving their flight change fees for Mexico (for a limited time) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30423135/

I was a teenager in the late 1960s when the Asian flu outbreak occurred - I was a casualty of that and missed almost a month of school and it was a pretty serious matter. That was the last big serious outbreak in the US. No telling what will happen in the next few days and the steps that will be put in place to control the disease.

THis is just not Swine Flu, but a mixture of bird, human and swine flu - I copied this directly from a MSNBC news item: The new virus is called a swine flu, though it contains genetic segments from humans and birds viruses as well as from pigs from North America, Europe and Asia. Health officials had seen combinations of bird, pig and human virus before — but never such an intercontinental mix, including more than one pig virus.

I'm sure everyone will be making their own decisions according to their outlook on things and their risk factors.
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby gunner » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 am

We're out!!! Why a person in their right mind would vacation in a "Pandora's box" is hard to understand. Drug wars. Swine flue. Corrupt police. Been there many times and see no real need to subject ourselves to possible danger at this time just to be naked. Maybe in 6 months but not now.
gunner
Desire Convert

Postby mfay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 am

We are set for May 9-18, and for us at least it's far to
early to even think about canceling. A lot can change
with this kind of thing in 10 days, but unless they actually ban travel to Mexico we'll be there.
We have a reported case of this flu 20 miles from here in Ohio. We could catch it here. We could skip our vacation, stay home and get run over by a bus. World is full of scary things.
We'll take some precautions- I imagine we'll be right in style if we wear surgical masks on the plane and in the airport, but we aren't about to wrap ourselves in a shell and try to hide out from the world's latest big danger. We just refuse to live that way !
We have sent a note to Mia at Desire asking what extra precautions they may be taking. We'll post any response here.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby Powderfinger » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:04 am

Approximately 36,000 die annually in the US from the flu (according to the CDC), and yet everyone continues on with their lives....hell, I turn up sick a few days after returning home from every vacation, no matter where we've gone, the common denominator being cooped up in that freakin' flying tin can...were we heading to Mexico in the near future, we would make no rash decisions, but rather wait until the last second and see how this thing appears to be playing out. Right now it seems like the media, having no Britney breakdowns, and finally realizing that none of us give a shit about Octomom, is enjoying hyping this up to national hysteria. Just remember SARS and West Nile........
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby tout.prest » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:25 am

We totally agree with Mike and powderfinger. Only 1 person in the USA has been hospitalized and every other case , according to the CDC themselves, has been MINOR. NObody has been hospitalized here in Canada and some of the people with it confirmed didn't even know they had it , and are totally fine now ! THIS IS JUST ONE MORE THING THAT THE F#$&%N! MEDIA IS BLOWING OUT OF PROPORTION !!! :evil: We live in Toronto and remember the truth about SARS. NOT NEARLY the issue it was made out to be !!

We are in no way worried about catching the swine flu. Our problem though is that we are supposed to arrive on this Thursday, but the Canadian gov is now "considering" a travel restriction to Mexico. GREAT !!! What happens if we go and our flight home gets cancelled ?? As much as we would love to stay at Desire for as long as we can, I dont think that would go over well with our 3 young kids....

I have sent an email to Mia as well, but expect that she is fielding MANY calls today. Our reservation is not insured for this type of thing. Does anyone have any ideas on Desires point of view regarding reservations affected by this crap ??

By the way, I cant find anything about this being a problem in Cancun itself and Mexico city is a Long way from Cancun ! 1298 Kms away! (Thats over 800 miles to our Yankee friends :wink: )

We better all stop leaving our houses in the morning and just curl up in the fetal position and wait for armageddon. Talk about a downer 72 hours from departure !!

Steve & Nancy
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby mfay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am

Tout.priest- hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

I just returned from a regular 6 month checkup at my local doctor. I told him about our upcoming trip to Mexico and asked for advice about the new flu. I thought you might be interested in what he said.
First of all he said that the whole thing is a little overblown. Even traveling to Mexico your chances of contracting the disease are extremely low. And even if you do, a reasonably healthy person doesn't have much to worry about. Of course he agreed that, other than close physical contact with an infected person, the best chance of contracting the bug is on the airplane. But he does not recommend wearing a mask. He said the best thing you can do is buy a bag of common ZINC lozenges. Suck on them on the plane and the airport. The zinc apparently destroys
the outer cell wall of the virus on contact as it enters thru your nose/mouth and prevents reproduction.
So he says suck on your lozenges, wash your hands often, keep from rubbing your eyes/nose/mouth in the plane & airport- and go have a good time !
I plan on following my doctor's advice !!!!
Mike
mfay

Postby LagniappeDC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Like the others..we are being cautiously optimistic and still plan on making the trek down on May 9th. We live in Washington, DC with three airports around us. I work with multiple people who travel to our office from around the world. Our kids schools our filled with international families. We could pretty much catch anything here without taking normal precautions.

Fact is, if we were staying at any of the vanilla resorts in Cancun we'd probably ditch. Desire is small, well protected, well away from the town, guests stay on the resort, etc. What will be key is that staff are taking all necessary hygene precautions (which are pretty much what they should be doing as food handlers). The fact is, resorts should be on high alert because one reported case can pretty much sink their business.

Thus far, Cancun and the surrounding region into Belize and Guatemala have not had any reports. Simple fact is that the situation will get "worse" before it gets better in that documenting infections will happen more methodically.

As for the media, if you really read the stories, many experts say that this could just as easily be a "mouse" rather than a "lion." The strain could mutate into a weaker form as easily as a stronger form. This could easily be "over" just as easily as it could be spreading. The mass mobilization to disperse crowds and gatherings in Mexico is a positive thing in terms of isolating this thing as quickly as possible.

There are no guarantees in life, and yes, traveling to Mexico right now certainly sways the odds. That being said, we'll be taking precautions on the flight down and during transport to the resort (and back) with masks and hand sanitizer.

My biggest fear is not going and the resulting fees I'll need to check myself into a mental institution as a result of these little kids who keep insisting they are my children.
LagniappeDC
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 04 Dec 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie, SLS, APG

Postby mfay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:25 pm

The word from Desire:

Dear Mike & Barbara

Although there has been an out break of Swine’ flu in Mexico City, there have been no reported cases in Cancun and all incoming flights from Mexico City to Cancun are being thoroughly screened to avoid any future problems. The hotel always keeps very high standards and strict regulations concerning hygiene.

Sincerely

MIA SKOGLUND
Gerente de Servicio Huespedes
Guest Service Manager
guestservice@desireresorts.com
tel: 52 998 872 8280 ext: 1231
fax: 52 998 872 8299

desireresorts.com

De: mike & barbara [mailto:faybarmik@yahoo.com]
Enviado el: Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:21 PM
Para: pr@desireresort.com
Asunto: The Flu

Hello Mia,

Many in our Ynots & Hot Tamales groups are beginning to be concerned about this new Flu outbreak in Mexico city

that seems to be spreading not only to other parts of Mexico but also in the USA.

They are asking if Desire is taking extra precautions with employee's and with food/water handling, and what medical assistance

is available at Desire. Anything you can share will be appreciated !
Mike
mfay

Postby LagniappeDC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Here is some additional perspective...

According to the BBC, across Mexico there are approximately 150 deaths which are suspected as being cased by this flu (though only 20 confirmed).

Similarly, approximately 2000 people have been hospitalized -- though HALF have been released to go home.

Mexico City has approximately 21,000,000 residents.

For sake of argument, even though the totals represent all of Mexico, the number of deaths is approximately .0007% of the total population of Mexico City.

The total number of hospitalizations, counting even those reported in the US and EU is around 2100. That's .01% of the population of Mexico City.

By contrast, the CDC lists these factoids:
Every year in the United States, on average:

* 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
* more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related complications; and
* about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes.

Clearly, this isn't your average flu which is why there is overly cautious actions being taken by the Mexican Gov't - and rightfully so. At the end of the day, however, the odds of contraction speak for themselves.

Also, this is a confirmed flu virus spread by human-to-human contact. Sounds scary, but the precautions are pretty basic according to the CDC

*Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
*Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
*Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
*Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Wearing a mask isn't even on their list, though prudent if you are in a crowded area.

Again, just perspective. Use your own judgment and follow your comfort level.
LagniappeDC
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 04 Dec 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie, SLS, APG

Postby Capt Dan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:42 am

Thanks for posting that Mike, see ya at the lobby bar in little over a week, ya hoooooo :lol: :lol: :lol:
Capt Dan

Postby mfay » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Dennyp sent this out earlier today:

I was just informed that Desire says that they plan to have a statement on any updates to their normal cancellation policy in regards to the swine flu situation on Wednesday. I will announce anything I hear whenever I hear it in the news box at the bottom of my home page at www.dennyp.com

So it looks like Desire will have something to say tomorrow........................
Mike
mfay

Postby tout.prest » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks Mike,

Nothing like waiting to the last minute for us. :? Our flight is at 8am thursday. Bags are packed and ready and we have every intent on going but we will see what their "official" stand is on it tomorrow I guess. Its gonna come right down to the wire for us. :(

Steve,
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby tout.prest » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Well, the decision has just been made for us !! AIR CANADA has just announced, on their website, that they have ceased all flights to Cancun thru June 2009, Effective immediately.
They will fly only return flights thru May 4th to get travellers home.

You cant say we didn't try. To say we are pissed would be a massive understatement but we are at least happy that we didnt get there and have to come home the next day. Thanks goodness for small favours i suppose.

Good luck to anyone who does get there. Have a drink for us.

Steve & Nancy
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya