Loungers / Beds at Beach and Pool

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Loungers / Beds at Beach and Pool

Postby miranda » Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 am

Is it really that difficult to get a lounger and/or a bed at either the beach or the pool?

We are not early risers and we have never "reserved" a lounger at any of the resorts we've been to (we think it's a very rude practice and one we are not comfortable with).

We are also not into "bribing" staff members to hold a bed for us.

So, will we be out of luck if we show up around 10 - 11 in the morning?

Since this is an all-inclusive resort and we've paid our money just as everyone else has, this should also include a lounger.

Does the resort need more? Is this the problem? Or is it that the patrons are holding a beach lounger/bed as well as a pool lounger / bed?

Does the resort "enforce" the time limit of reserving a bed? (I think I read somewhere it's 2 hours if no one shows up in that time frame)
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby tout.prest » Sun May 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Miranda,

If the resort is full ,then truth be told, you will probably have a hard time getting a bed at 10 or 11 o'clock in the morning. There are alot more beds on the beach now than ever. In fact any more would look dumb, we think.
Part of the problem is the fact that some people do reserve both beds and loungers. We didnt ever witness the staff removing articles and freeing up a bed, although thats not to say it doesn't happen. Some people even leave for an 1 1/2 hours and then come by for 20 minutes and then leave again. Almost like they use the beds only as a backup plan in case they don't find anything better to do. :?

Last May, I would wake up at 7:00 am and grab a coffee and go for a walk on the beach while my wife slept in. I would get a beach bed while I walked by, but lots were already taken by that point even. (The resort was sold out that week however, and they have since added alot more beds)

FYI, there is a new system of 8 beds (I think its 8) that can be pre-held for you with the resort. Once you have paid your fee, it is yours to use at your discretion. I think the fee is 20$ per day or $100 for the week. We plan to use this system in June so we don't have to worry about it at all.

Steve,
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby oldseadog » Sun May 17, 2009 12:39 pm

While getting access to a beach bed can be a problem, we have always managed to get a beach lounger without any difficulty.
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby allovatan » Sun May 17, 2009 5:34 pm

In December (feels like ages ago) we had difficulty getting a beach bed at 8 AM. Some went unused for hours on end, well into the mid to late afternoon, but were reserved with books or towels. The previous May/June, entirely different story, same schedule, could get any bed we wanted with there being less beds to go around at the time. Guess it all depends on the occupancy rate and the preference of the guests at the time
allovatan
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA

Postby miranda » Sun May 17, 2009 6:49 pm

That really sucks big time!

So, how to we find out if the resort is full? I thought this resort was always full, especially now since the demise of Desire Cabo and there really aren't any other options for this kind of vacation.

If we avoid a take-over week we probably have better chances?

I think I'll email the resort and express my concerns.
miranda
Desire Legend

Chair Availability

Postby jimmyd » Mon May 18, 2009 8:36 am

Miranda, This is one of my pet peeves as well and has been a problem at nearly every resort I have ever gone to. Like some of the previous postings, I would normally wake up around 7am and then go out to the pool and reserve two chairs. There is a guy from the resort that works at the pool area. He will reserve your chairs and bring you towels and pillows. I didn't have to but I usually did give him $2 to $5 just being nice and he hustled his ass off every day, all day. Most of the chairs are taken by 10am if not sooner. I would put our magazines, books, sunscreen, etc. on our chairs and then we would go eat breakfast. We would then go hit the pool right after breakfast. I did see one morning where someone had put their magazine on the chairs but never showed up. Someone eventually picked it up and laid it to the side. One extra item is that I thought I would spend time on the beds but didn't like tourists (some with kids) walking within 10 feet of us on the beds. It is very awkward. I couldn't believe a parent would walk past the nude warning signs and expose kids to naked adults but they did. I preferred staying up at the pool area without worrying about any of that. Have fun and relax. You will have a great time. :wink:
jimmyd
Desire Fan

Re: Chair Availability

Postby tout.prest » Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 am

jimmyd wrote: It is very awkward. I couldn't believe a parent would walk past the nude warning signs and expose kids to naked adults but they did.

We agree that the tourists from other resorts walking by was common. There is a little voyeur in everyone :D , and that is fine. Nobody is ever very subtle when thay slooooowly walk by with their dark shades on. We witnessed one group of young women (in there 20's) that must have gone for a walk at least 6 times a day ! LOL, it was very funny to see them try to not Look. And really...who cares if they do ?

HOWEVER, we did find the parents taking their CHILDREN for the same walk was very disconcerting ! Creapy actually ! We witnessed one guy with his daughter (who was maybe 5 or 6) not even notice she had stopped to play in the ocean about 150 yards back. He was obviously "Distracted" :shock: by what he was seeing on the Desire beach. Totally inappropriate !!!. And nobody can can say they didnt know it was a nude beach, because there are signs at each end of the property that clearly state whats ahead.

These are the main reasons to adhere to the no PDA's or PDS's on the beach. It is not the right time or place. (Goodness knows, Desire does provide ample places when the mood stikes :wink: )

Steve,
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby miranda » Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the great info, folks. We'll see what happens when we get down there. We're not into lounger saving so we will just have to take our chances when the time comes.

We don't mind tipping but we're not into bribing and spending and extra $100.00 is out of the question, based on the principle of the thing.

I can certainly understand about the no PDA's and PDS's rules on the beach. The beaches are public. We are comfortable being nude on a designated nude beach even though there are textiles "walking" by.

They are well aware of where they are and what they will see. But to bring their kids and totally "ignore" them, while instead gawking - well, that's just bad parenting, IMHO.

What time does the jacuzzi open up and how many beds and loungers are there?

Again, thank you for all your great info and your quick responses.

Sorry about all the questions but we're pretty excited about our upcoming trip to Desire.

Oh, and is there snorkelling from the beach and how calm is the water - or does it vary?
miranda
Desire Legend

Families walking the beach!

Postby landedesire » Mon May 18, 2009 10:20 am

We were there in Sept/Oct. last year and did not witness ANY families walking by. There were a few couples/thresomes. I do remember a couple guys walking by quite frequently and we did comment that I don't remember two men taking a walk that frequently on a clothed beach, LOL!!! Is there a reason why the family groups have increased as of late. I really don't like the sound of it :) But, it is a free country and a public beach, right?
landedesire
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 12 Dec 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby 2batdesire » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 am

A new family hotel opened nearby in October 2008. We were there over NYE and there a tons of people walking by all the time - of all demographics. Families with little kids, bunches of young men craning their necks to get a good look (walking by back and forth), groups of girls, etc. - you get the idea. Just like you would see at any seaside in the US on a busy weekend.

The problem with the increased traffic (to me anyway) is that the beach at Desire is so narrow, that the passers-by are just feet away from the guests on the beach beds - and within seeing distance of the people at the pool and the grill area.
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby TwoDV8s » Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 am

The jacuzzi opens at 1pm. I think there are 5 beds and no more than 10 loungers on the jacuzzi deck.
TwoDV8s
Desire Lover

Postby tout.prest » Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Miranda,

Snorkeling right off the beach is doable but very boring cause there is nothing to see. The catamaran excursions will take you out to the reef about a kilometre from shore where the snorkeling is quite excellent we hear. My wife gets motion sick very easy though, so we cant risk a whole day excursion like that . The reef does also act as a breakwater for the beach, so it is usually quite calm close to shore, but that can obviously change with the wind. :D

Steve,
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby bozack » Mon May 18, 2009 4:30 pm

peeve of mine as well.
I can't imagine these gorwn ups that have to sneak down to leave their books or towels knowing they aren't gonna show up for hours or halkf the day.

I have seen people ask staff to remove things after an hour or two. Just like if you go take a nap in your room, take your stuff and open the bed up for someone that sleeps in and comes down later, it all washes out.

I have no problem removing people's crap if it has been empty for an hour or 2. Act like grown ups, we all paid to be there and relax.
bozack

Postby mudflap » Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 pm

I think Desires is also part of some excursion from some other resort because two boat loads of people did a drive by pretty close to the shore.
mudflap
Desire Convert

Postby Powderfinger » Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 am

LOL, yep, the snorkeling boats have to do their slow, along the buoy-line float-by every day......

At one point, we skimmed Silversands Trip Advisor reviews to see if there was any mention of "the nudie resort".....and a few mentioned how it was "the thing to do" among the guests, to walk the beach and check it out...........
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya