Tipping

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Postby Sandman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi

We are going to be at Desire for our first trip in exactly 28 days.

I wanted to bump this post to see if there is any new input on the subject

Thanks
George / Sandy
Sandman
Desire Convert

Postby eddieandjojo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Hit the ATM at the airport in Cancun....with the exchange rates being sooooo favorable right now, using Pesos is the way to go for tipping and/or buying anything in town.

E&J
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby tout.prest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 am

With regard to tipping - I would like to add that we have never experienced any of the staff standing with their hand out waiting for a tip at Desire.
We have been to other CO all-inclusives where they specifically state that the staff will lose their job if they accept a tip and yet the staff blantantly stood with their hand out. If we didn't tip the service slid downhill. It made for an interesting trip when you are nekid, no wallet in sight, and looking for a drink... :roll:
I think this is something else that makes Desire so special. It is truely all-inclusive, you get outstanding service, no one has their hand out looking for tips, the staff goes above and beyond....the staff at Desire is so good that you really will want to tip them but you won't feel obligated.
We noticed a difference when the regular staff has the day off and the support staff comes in...the service was 'normal' and everything was fine but it made us really appreciate when the regular staff came back and the service was better than 'normal' again...
Nancy
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby JCnBadboy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Tip well, and generously. Dont tip for bad service. Be kind, these people work extremely hard for us to have a good time. If someone has given you exceptional service tip them well. Tip the maids, tip the tattoo guy... tip Sylvia.... and Aaron and CC and Memo and Arco and Juan-Carlos and Edgar...and Carlos... Tip them all , they will remember you and they will be happy to give you even better service when you return. A little goes alot there....and we are living proof. They work hard for our good time, a good time that you cant get in Canada, or the US.
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Tipping

Postby jimmyd » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 am

Even though it is all inclusive, we always make a point to tip for good service. I can tell you these folks really appreciate what to you and me is no big deal. I gave the guy $5 to take my bags to the room. I always gave the guy at the pool $2 or $3 every morning to setup our chairs, cushions, umbrella, etc. I didn't see many others do that but it seemed right as this guy was really working his arse off. About 90% of the time, I tipped the waiter at the pool $1 per round of drinks. At dinner, I would leave $2 to $5. At the disco, I usually gave $1 per round. The bar at the disco can get crowded but after tipping several times, they would see me and come wait on me before others in the area. They got to where I didn't even have to tell them what I was drinking. (shot of tequila and a beer) One other thing, is i usually gave the lady that made the omelets a $1 tip. She was always surprised and very grateful. She was an unsong hero working over a hot griddle listening to people bitch all day about how they wanted their eggs just right.
jimmyd
Desire Fan

Postby C-Squared » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm

JCnBadboy wrote:Tip well, and generously. Dont tip for bad service. Be kind, these people work extremely hard for us to have a good time. If someone has given you exceptional service tip them well. Tip the maids, tip the tattoo guy... tip Sylvia.... and Aaron and CC and Memo and Arco and Juan-Carlos and Edgar...and Carlos... Tip them all , they will remember you and they will be happy to give you even better service when you return. A little goes alot there....and we are living proof. They work hard for our good time, a good time that you cant get in Canada, or the US.

It's hard to believe, but absolutely true. They really do remember you the next year. And after a while, it becomes more like they're friends whose home you're visiting, rather than just staff. I'd like to think that, in a way, we're friends with Silvia and Arcos and Memo and Dany and so on.

The cost of tips is really small compared to the quality of the service you get.
C-Squared
Desire Convert

Postby 2batdesire » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Have to agree with you - the first thing we see when we get off the limo is Arcos, arms open wide, with a "welcome home". Once we get to the pool area, Silvia is there and Leo and the rest. Of course we aren't really home, but they do seem genuinely happy to see us each time...................
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby JCnBadboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:53 pm

You said it. They HAVE become like friends. Some even family I dare say. They are wonderful, they DO remember you. They ARE genuinely happy to see us. Cant wait to get back.
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya