Questions about swimming in the Ocean?

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Questions about swimming in the Ocean?

Postby NebraskaCouple » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 pm

One thing that we look forward to is swimming in the ocean at Desire. Last year, at the Los Cabos Desire, ocean swimming would have been lethal because of the violent surf and there was no nudity allowed on the beach at all. One couple we met said that nude ocean swimming at Cancun's Desire was their main draw to Cancun. So, here are our naive questions:
1. Do you swim naked or wear swimwear in the ocean.
2. Are Jellyfish or other marine critters potential problems?
3. What about sharks?

We don't want to get stung or bitten by anything on any body parts, especially some parts that get even more attention at Desire than they do at home.
NebraskaCouple
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA

Postby tout.prest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Nebraska,

In order:

1)Naked all the way is the only way to go !!

2) There are small jellyfish in the water that can sting you if they touch you. They are almost impossible to see in the water but you will know if you touch one. A friend of ours got stung in June as we were standing in the water, about 30 feet from shore. Sad but true :( . Not a lethal sting or anything, but more like a serious bee sting. It wasnt enough to get him out of the water. You can see some dead jellyfish on the beach at times.

3) No sharks (or anything big ) at all during the day. There is a natural reef about a kilometre out from shore and nothing too big gets past it or would want to.
It is NOT advised to go nightime skinny dipping however, and security will quickly haul your naked butt out if they catch you in the water. It seems that is the time where some bigger creatures may come closer to shore in search of bigger fish/food. :shock:

The ocean is our main attraction to Cancun and you will love it ! Go and enjoy. :wink:
Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Ocean

Postby Darcy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi, My joy is to float naked on my noodle in the ocean. Ask the Pink Raft Club about jelly fish issues.....those guys and gals never leave the water :wink: I believe it is more a seasonal thing with the jelly fish, late spring more numerous. I never had an issue. We typical go to Desire late summer and enjoy just about perfect weather. We depart in one week for our 6th visit. Yes, the ocean is not static and stuff happens, but most days we are able to enjoy floating in the sea. We have also been to Desire Cabo and had a wonderful time, yet we did miss being able to enjoy the ocean water.
Darcy
Darcy
Desire Fan

Postby tout.prest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Never thought about the seasonal aspect of the jellyfish but that does make sense. Warmer waters and all....

We agree, nothing is better than floating in the ocean, with a drink in hand and talking to new friends while feeling the Mexican sun beat down on you.

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby miranda » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

We had no problem frolicking about in the ocean in Cabo. You just have to know where to go - we walked about 10 minutes to the west along the beach and it was fine. A few more minutes along and that's where the surfers are, but the waves weren't crashing into shore there.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby Island Dreamer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am

We just returned from our first trip to Desire and never once wore a suit in the ocean. With in one hour of getting on the beach we were naked and stayed that way the entire time we were on the beach. Most everyone we seen did the same. Did not see any jelly fish or anything.
Island Dreamer
Desire Fan

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

Have to agree, laying naked on the beach and being able to walk into that beautiful sea with a drink in one hand and my woman in the other is the reason I love with the place.

Now if I could float, that would be the best. Need a bigger noodle :lol: :wink: :D
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby crystalenjoyment » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Just got back from our first trip to Desire (trip report coming soon!) and swimming naked in the beautiful ocean was but one of the highlights of the trip. I did quite a bit of snorkeling right in front of the resort. Yes there are jellyfish. Most very small and hard to see. No sharks seen and not likely. About a quarter-mile or so out from the beach is a coral reef that extends almost from cozumel to cancun. Most sharks and other really large fish tend to stay out beyond the reef in deeper waters. That being said, we spent the first half of our vacation at a nearby vanilla resort about 3 kilometers south of Desire, Excellence Riviera Cancun, and I did get stung by a jellyfish in the water there on the foot. You can definitely feel it! BUt after a couple hours the tingly feeling went away. I did also see what I assumed was a single barracuda in the water near Excellence. I was a bit leery about getting stung on anything in the nether regions but had no trouble at Desire. Apparently there is some truth to the rumor that peeing on a Jellyfish sting does provide relief. (I hear.) Depending on where you get stung you may need a friend to help you with that. And your mileage may vary........ :wink:

Naked is the way to swim at desire. Though some snorkelers prefer to wear swim suits. Think about what part is sticking out to the sun most of the time you snorkel! Either wear trunks or use a lot of sunscreen! I met one gentleman who was out snorkeling about the same ammount of time I was and he had a diffucult time sitting that night at dinner!
crystalenjoyment

Postby chrisandgeorgia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:11 pm

My wife and I were there last October and the water was very brown. It was windy everyday and rained most afternoons. Freak of nature? Is the water really pretty blue most of the time?

Thanks,

Chris

See those of you on 2-10 Oct 2009 !!!!
chrisandgeorgia
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 pm

chrisandgeorgia - yes the normal color is a deep aquamarine (blue)

We have been going since Desire opened in 2003 and have occasionally seen "patches" of brownish water in the ocean. This is due to runoff after rain, from the protected mangrove area (you drove thru this area as you approached Desire)
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby miranda » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Yankeefan wrote: Need a bigger noodle :lol: :wink: :D

Is that what your wife says, too? :wink:
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 pm

yes Miranda...she does! that was the intent... :lol:
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby great scot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Naked and the only critters we saw were when we went snorkeling off a boat (in swimsuits). The water was amazing. Crystal blue and warm.
great scot
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 25 May 2016

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya