Reservation Policy Updated

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Reservation Policy Updated

Postby tout.prest » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 am

Just as an FYI , I was looking at the Desire website this morning and noticed that the cancellation Policy seems to have changed since the swine flu fiasco.
Notably changed is any cancellation within 21 days of arrival is 100% forfeiture of $$ for the entire scheduled stay ! (Not the 2 days penalty like in the past)

Desire was fantastic at helping everyone with travel issues during the flu thing, so i dont know if this will be heavily enforced, but it is worth knowing as "the official policy"

From the Desire website:

• One night payment is required as initial deposit to guarantee your room reservations
• For bookings made within 29 days prior to the arrival, full payment is mandatory.
• Cancellation 61 days or more will incur in a $80.00 US processing fee
• Cancellations from 60 to 22 days prior of arrival date, 1 night will be charged as a penalty.
• All Bookings must be paid in Full 30 day’s prior Arrival date (Regular Booking and Promotions)
• CANCELLATIONS/NO SHOWS: A Penalty of total stay will be applicable for Bookings Cancelled within 21 days prior of arrival date and for No Shows
• REIMBURSEMENT will not be applicable for EARLY CHECK OUTS.

Had these policies been around & enforced in April/May, there would have been alot of people out alot of money. :( Another good argument for insurance !

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby mfay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 am

It is a good argument for insurance ! Although I have to wonder how many people with insurance for trips this past May- who did end up canceling because of the flu scare- were actually able to collect ? Only the most expensive travel insurance- that specifically had the
"cancel for any reason" provision- would likely have paid anything in this case because there was no official prohibition against travel to Mexico(at least from the US), flights were available, and Desire was accepting guests.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who may have collected anything from insurance after canceling their May trip.
Can't really blame Desire for changing the policy though to give themselves the option. They had to take one hell of a financial hit from the flu thing- and for the most part it was total media hype that should never have happened. We did not cancel our trip- and we went and had a great time. But more than half of the guests during the scare did cancel. The economy in that area was devastated (still trying to recover) and of course the media hasn't offered to reinburse anyone for their loss even though it was their faults.................
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby tout.prest » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 pm

True enough about the insurance. I dont think many would have covered the swine flu as a reason to cancel. I meant more in the general sense of having to cancel for other reasons. We didn't have insurance of any type in May, so I was very appreciative of how accomodating Desire was in helping us out. :D They went "above & beyond" in our eyes !

We have always "rolled the dice" instead of insurance, but I might reconsider that now. :? Business hasn't been the best this year and I really wouldn't want to take the financial hit.

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby mfay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:32 pm

We have never had insurance for our April/May trips- but we always do for September because of the hurricane threats. Suppose we may have to rethink that,
but as you said Desire has always been very easy to work with and it never seemed necessary.
You never know what the next great catastrophe might
be or when it might come (but I do know it will have to be a real whopper to get me to cancel Desire
on my own !)
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya