NEW Update - Pool back in operation

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

NEW Update - Pool back in operation

Postby dbcb1969 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:04 pm

********** Note from Desire Forums Site Admin ************

Info from Desire management for guests affected by the pool closure

Oct 10th - The resurfacing of the pool is now completed and it has been refilled and is now back in full operation

Guests staying at Desire during the pool closure period will receive one night's complimentary stay on your next reservation if you stayed with us for 5 nights. You will receive 2 nights complimentary stay for your next reservation if you stayed with us for more than 7 nights this trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on this address.

Sincerely,

MIA SKOGLUND
Gerente de Servicio Huespedes
Guest Service Manager
guestservice@desireresorts.com
tel: 52 998 872 8280 ext: 1231
fax: 52 998 872 8299
www.desireresorts.com

Desire is now(Sept 14th) announcing on their site the following
Dear Valued clients & partners;
We really sorry to let you know that we will be resurfacing the pool from the 5th thru 9th October 2009. All the normal pools activities will take place on our beautiful sand beach. Thank you so much for your comprehension to this situation and please contact us for our special promotion during this period.

Just got a note from Martin, the GM, that they are resurfacing the pool from the 10/1-10/4 and it will be closed :( It's our 1st trip to Desire and my new wife (it's our honeymoon) is NOT an ocean person. We were planning on anchoring by the pool for our whole time there, with trips to the hot tub of course! This is happening right in the middle of our vacation. They have offered a one night credit, but we are just totally bummed and not excited about being there with no pool for half the time. We could use some advice on how to change our reservations. To add to the fun, we checked on changing airfare - typical airline shit - doubles our cost....

We are definitely "glass half full" folks, but this is a tough one. Any helpful ideas?

Thanks!
Dave & Carly
dbcb1969

Postby tikihutguy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Yes! Head for the beach. My wife is not a beach person, but head from your queen room bed to your queen beach bed with food/drink service for the day and you won't go back to the pool (except for lunch/volleyball/etc). Wife is now a beach fan! :P
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby miranda » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:02 am

Great answer tikihutguy but ... 4 days to resurface a pool? Are we talking Mexican time or real time? :wink:
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby CokeMann » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:10 am

Miranda - when they tiled the hot tub a couple of years ago (it was previously only not too smooth concrete) they accomplished this in a flat 2 1/2 days start to finish.

Motivated and reasonably paid Mexicans are some of the hardest and most efficient workers you will find worldwide
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Mexican time is fast time.

Postby jpman42 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 am

You will find them to be heavely motivated and working to finish it as fast as they can. No one will work harder even if they take a seseta.
jpman42
Desire Convert

Postby schl15 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 am

I was at Desire Los Cabos the first month it opened (few years ago). There was a serious leak in the hot tub that soaked the fitness room right below. The management brought in large crews, they worked around the clock to take every individual tile off, fix the leak, and retile. Three days flat, it was unbelievable! On top of that they gave everyone who was there a voucher for each day the hot tub was out of operation. Not saying management will do that again, but I am pretty sure the workers will work extremely hard to get the job done in the stated timeframe.
schl15

Encouragement

Postby chrisandgeorgia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 pm

I am really trying to be positive about this pool closure thing. I know better than to worry about bad flights, bugs, or a pool closure for almost our entire trip, but I am discouraged.

I really liked the main pool as a place to lounge and relax; it also was central and off the beach (i.e. no outside guests walking by) and was a pretty social place on our last trip. However, not as "social" as the hot tub. I am having a hard time envisioning a focal point like the pool. Maybe there will be a herd of floats just offshore from the beach bar. Maybe they can move the beach bar into the ocean and it will be like a swim up bar. :D

Through this website and the yahoo groups, I count about 17 couples going the same time we are; qute a bit.

Is it true that the hot tub will be open earlier and/or all day during this time?

What is the "special" promotion that their website mentions for those that are there during this time?

Chris of chrisandgeorgia - 2 OCT to 10 OCT
chrisandgeorgia
Desire Convert

Also disappointed

Postby favsub » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Very disappointed. Had we known we would have picked different dates.
Our first trip and although we plan to rent a bed for the week we were looking forward to the pool and the socializing there.
Oct 4 thru Oct 10.
favsub
Desire Convert

Postby rdjustice6 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:19 pm

First timer questions... is the beach area big enough to accomodate a resort full of guests and will they be moving chairs out there for everyone? This definitely takes away some of the secluded ambiance we were hoping for. Not sure if I'm ready to hang out in my birthday suit on a busy beach! :oops:
rdjustice6
Desire Fan

pool closing

Postby jimmyd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I am sick to my stomach reading about this. Yes, the beach could handle everyone but some folks like us don't care to lay nude on the beach beds with families walking past you within 15 feet. This includes teens and small kids from a resort next door. On our last trip, we spoke with a couple from Canada who actually saw a co-worker walk down the beach while she was laying on a bed nude. She hid and was not seen but stayed at the pool the rest of the week. I have written Mia for a refund so I can stay somewhere else as this is false advertising to come out with this three weeks before we arrive. I would have come back next year when everything was up and running. I guess everyone will head up to the jacuzzi which is fine but very small. Nothing like cooling off in a hot tub! Thanks for listening to my ranting. It's just that I feel like I have been ripped off. :cry:
jimmyd
Desire Fan

Re: First timer questions

Postby dcnewbies703 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:03 am

Rdjustice6-- The beach is not very wide (depends on the tide and wave action) but is pretty long. The resort won't be at full occupancy, and the beach beds are right at the landward edge of the beach and afford a bit of privacy (see photos on the Desire website). There should be plenty of room for beach chairs for folks who don't get a bed, if any.

The beach isn't "busy." Desire is on a relatively undeveloped stretch of the Riviera Maya beach (for now--some larger resorts are in development). There are a couple of modest-size resorts to the north and not much for a ways to the south. People do occasionally walk by, but it's not like going to the beach at Elitch Gardens or something. Lots of people spend most of their time at the beach beds when the pool is open.

While having the pool under construction is a bummer, you'll still find Desire is a fantastic experience. You'll love it!
SDC: niceones2
dcnewbies703
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 29 Nov 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:03 am

And its fun to watch the expressions of the folks walking by. They often pretend to "not look" and try to look cool as they stroll past the Desire folks. Some really cool women often get on all 4s and give them a really good show...I've seen it and its hilarious.

As for the lack of pool, I guess they should have given at least a few months notice so folks could have decided for themselves. That sucks.
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Pool

Postby jimmyd » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 pm

I called my travel agent and was able to get a full refund due to the pool situation. I am booking another place in Cancun that won't be under construction. This way I won't lose out on my airline tickets and ground transportation dollars I've already paid for. I hate it as I was really looking forward to returning but didn't want to spend good money to not take advantage of the full experience. Maybe next year or whenever the swim up, new pool, addition get completed. I guess I'll have to wear my super hero costume for Halloween this year! :)
jimmyd
Desire Fan

MIA's e-mail not accepting e-mails

Postby favsub » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 pm

The e-mail account MIA posted in the New from Desires forum is not accepting new mail.

I have sent a message via the Desires website today and will wait until tomorrow for a response.
favsub
Desire Convert

Postby miranda » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I find it very interesting that the Resort itself did not post these "minor" renovations on this board since they do have access to all of us here and came on board with many positive posts.

And, when Mia posted that her computer crashed and she lost a lot of her emails / addresses and asked us to email her (I did) but didn't hear anything back from here (not that I requested a response but a "thanks, I got your email") would have been nice.

Anyway, I hope you who are pool people and are going to be without the main pool during your stay enjoy your trip - no matter what.

How can it be that bad? Try and think of the positives (a vacation with your special someone, you will come back with a smile on your face for months to come, the sun will be shining, you will meet some wonderful folks, you don't have to cook, clean or go to work for those days, etc., etc.).
miranda
Desire Legend

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya