Sylvia has left

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Re: Sylvia has left

Postby north52 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 am

Trying to picture Gustavo but I can't. Anyone have a pic? Who else besides he and Sylvia have recently left (long term employees that is)?
Kasidie: North54
Kik: 8449db
north52
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 22 Oct 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby Explorer79 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Not sure if I'm right but if Gustavo is who I think he is then he will be sorely missed, went above and beyond even by Desire standards.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby SexxxyInMe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm so sorry that Sylvia is gone. She will certainly be missed as she was a gem! We absolutely love seeing Candito (sp?) at breakfast and lunch each day. During our last trip, we felt like he was on pins and needles, so to speak, everyday that we saw him. Certainly not his playful self. Also, the newly added "security guard" as we referred to her, at lunchtime, who appraised what each person was wearing and turned many ladies away, also detracted from out trip. I felt like I was going through security at the airport, only airport security was more pleasant, when we entered. We would love lunch to be more carefree......and our well-loved long-term Desire employees to remain. We look forward to seeing them each year.
SexxxyInMe
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 17 Feb 2020

Postby Vixen and Him » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 am

SexxxyInMe wrote:I'm so sorry that Sylvia is gone. She will certainly be missed as she was a gem! We absolutely love seeing Candito (sp?) at breakfast and lunch each day. During our last trip, we felt like he was on pins and needles, so to speak, everyday that we saw him. Certainly not his playful self. Also, the newly added "security guard" as we referred to her, at lunchtime, who appraised what each person was wearing and turned many ladies away, also detracted from out trip. I felt like I was going through security at the airport, only airport security was more pleasant, when we entered. We would love lunch to be more carefree......and our well-loved long-term Desire employees to remain. We look forward to seeing them each year.

Agreed. Everyone seems nervous. I'm not sure why they are trying to screw up a good thing. It works. We all like it. We all keep coming back. Why fix what isn't broken??
Vixen and Him
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2024

Postby werfun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm

We haven't been to DRM for some time but it sounds like the old management has been replaced and the new management wants their people in place not staff from the old management. Some time the new management believes that thing must change just for the sake of change. Guess they don't believe in the saying of it its not broken don't try to fix it. Some boss's don't believe that their employees and build up a loyalty with the resorts guest. As for Sylvia leaving it sounds like she trying out her dream and we wish her the very best.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby eddieandjojo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:39 pm

So, back to the original post, Silvia has left....implying that she possibly left on her own accord to pursue her dream of opening a restaurant. We'll find out in July when we talk with Arcos, until then I won't jump to conclusions that management is trying to get rid of anyone. The current GM has been in place for a few years now and he came from the Cabo property so I doubt he had the chance to bring his own team. Anyway, we have a sincere appreciation for the long term employees like CC, Africa, Danny, Carlos, Arcos, Edmundo and many more that I'm sure I've forgotten.
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby CokeMann » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 pm

eddieandjojo wrote:So, back to the original post, Silvia has left....implying that she possibly left on her own accord to pursue her dream of opening a restaurant.

I'll just jump in here having known Arcos and Silvia since they began at Desire RM. In all honesty I have to believe that it was a tough decision for her to leave and know she was a very valued member of the Desire team.

Arcos and Silvia have a daughter just about school age and having both of them required to pull long shifts and commute twice a day from Cancun where they live to Desire can be very bad for any type of real family life.

So unless anyone hears otherwise please stop the negative speculation that there is some type of employee purge going on and wish Silvia well on her future path :D
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby shore128 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 am

As the original poster on this, I can reiterate that Coke is correct as the factors he cited are consistent with what Arcos told me. Sylvia and Arcos are both excited about this opportunity. This was Sylvia's decision. We may disagree with certain management decisions but they were certainly well aware of how well-liked and valuable Sylvia was to Desire RM. I'm sure just about everyone who stays poolside lists her as one of their favorite employees when filling out the Desire resort surveys. And to state the obvious, her job was certainly a very demanding one - walking around non-stop for hours serving drinks around the pool in the heat wasn't easy and she's not a 20-something anymore. We just wish her the very best and hope that she is successful and happy in her new venture.
shore128
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 21 Apr 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Cpl813 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:05 pm

We were there over St Patty's day also - we definitely missed seeing Silvia at the pool.
KIk - funcouple813
SDC & Kasidie - funcouple813
sls - orgyzone27407
Cpl813
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 31 Jan 2020

Postby Luv4life » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Agreed with Coke. Everyone we spoke to about Sylvia leaving said she was contemplating retiring for a long time and now was her opportunity. There has been some change in middle management, and according to one long time and very beloved employee, some of the remaining staff don't necessarily agree with some of the changes being put into place, and those folks will either adjust or leave (voluntarily or otherwise). It's like any other business that has to grow and change with the times. We just returned after not being there for about 18 months and noticed some new policies...ie, the aforementioned "restaurant guard", who also turned me off to no end! That was the one change that I sincerely did not appreciate. She turned me away at bfast bc I was wearing a tshirt and bikini bottoms (full coverage). I had to go back to the room to get a pair of shorts. Dumb! She also seems to be there in order to prevent some of the regular guests from grabbing their favorite waiters. More than once, I was making my way towards one side to be seated in a fave's section, and she forced us to the other side. There was something about her that really irritated me! But...I suppose there are going to be some guests who will like the more formal bfast and lunch atmosphere. To each his own!
Luv4life
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 14 Dec 2014

Postby latinos28 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:41 am

ok coke Sylvia might be the exemption but let's be honest the new management has done tons of let goes from the staff we all have learn to love.
SDC: mexcpl1
Kasadie:mexcpl1
Kik: beachtrvl
latinos28
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 23 Oct 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby desireaddict » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am

Sylvia might be the exemption but let's be honest the new management has done tons of let goes from the staff we all have learn to love.

If that is the case then I fear Desire is headed in the wrong direction. We look forward to seeing waiters Leo, Candy, Daniel (and I cant remember the restaurant mgr's name -- a bit unusual) and catching up on things with them. Sylvia always knew our drink orders without us asking. Kuko, Kayla, Alex, Sopie were all spectacular entertainment staff members that we looked forward to seeing again. (We'll be making a first trip to Pearl ONLY because Kayla is there now.)

I think management is underestimating the "vibe" that returning guests get when they see familiar faces who recognize them too. It's "special". I can find a waiter or butler that I don't know and that doesn't know me from "Adam" at any new resort. While I don't know of any other resort with the atmosphere of Desire, if one is going simply for the LS element, that seems to be opening up dramatically all over the US.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby texascouple1208 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:11 am

desireaddict wrote:
if one is going simply for the LS element, that seems to be opening up dramatically all over the US.

I've seen a couple similar comments made recently and am wondering what we are missing. I can only think of a handful in the US and they are all pretty small potatoes compared to either Desire resort. Curious to know what we have overlooked.

Thanks,
J&M
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby candtdesire07 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Seriously disappointed that we will no longer be seeing Sylvia or Gustavo. There are just some employees we have really grown to love like family over the past 10 years.
We thought it was bad when Diana left but this news hurts. If CC and Afrika ever leave, we will riot!
Dear Desire management.... stop screwing with our little slice of paradise. Gracias.
candtdesire07
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 26 Jun 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby texascouple_sdc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Sylvia was our go-to girl. Super hard worker!!! We totally love her and we are happy to see that she has made a decision to put her family first vs. her job. Sylvia, if you ever read this, we will sorely miss you. We know you're family comes first!

Besos de "tus amores" - Abril y Miguel "El chico sombrero"
DRM - Jun '12, Jul '13, Jun '14, Jun '15, Jun '16, Jun '17, Jun '18, Jul/Aug '20
SDC: texascouple
C4P: texascouple
texascouple_sdc
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 24 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC and C4P

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya