Spyware on this website - Update

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Spyware on this website - Update

Postby concansters » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Message from Site Admin - Sept 24/09
I have requested to Forumer that this site be switched back to the older style "Ads by Google".
This has been approved and sometime over the next week this issue of pop ups and redirects should be history

I've been having problems for the last week or so with spyware from this website. Everytime I go to this forum, I can see several websites addresses "running" across the bottom of the window. My spyware alerts me at least a couple of times. Webmaster(s), could you please check this out? Thanks!
concansters
Desire Convert

Postby Powderfinger » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Same here, except my spyware isn't doing anything, and all adware/spyware/virus scans are coming up clean. Doesn't matter if its IE or Firefox, and its ONLY on this site....
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby mfay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I can't answer your question specifically- I'll leave that to Wayne. But if you are running Firefox (and if you aren't you should be) make sure you download/add
the free firefox add-on called" ad block plus 1.1.1", and use the easy list filter within that. Using that, I have no popups, running addresses, etc on this or any other website. It works like a charm. Sorry- there is nothing like that I know of for explorer.
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby CokeMann » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:35 pm

I have looked into it and it is not spyware

Forumer is a free service that is supported by advertising and the Forumer support group has tracked this down to some embedded Java script in some ads that have gotten through unfiltered by the ad company.

They are looking at what they can do from their side but really the best solution for Firefox users is what Mike suggested - the free add on called AdBlock Plus - I believe there may be an equivalent for IE but I abandoned IE many years ago as too dangerous.

Wayne(Coke)
Site Admin
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby concansters » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for checking into this. Unfortunately, I don't have Firefox -- have been too lazy to attempt a switch. I'll look to see if there is an option for IE. Glad to hear that this seems fairly harmless.
concansters
Desire Convert

Postby mfay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Concasters- it is very easy to download firefox- just go to the link here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html
During the download you will be asked if you want to import your explorer settings and bookmarks. Just check yes. that's all it takes to get started. and you still have explorer available- in fact you can have both open at the same time. that way you can work with and customize firefox as you have time.
Once you get started with it and use some of the add ons and customizing features you'll never go back ( except for those few applications that don't work on firefox.)
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby tout.prest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:26 pm

I've been using the new Google Chrome and have had no noticeable problems. Any ideas on that ?

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby CokeMann » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Probably much like FireFox, Chrome is fairly minimal and probably built to avoid the weakness of IE.

BTW - Chrome is not so innocent either - by using Chrome your complete browsing history is now sitting a Google database.....
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby Powderfinger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Good to hear about the switch, Coke, as even with Firefox, with the add-on Mike suggested, it still has grabbed my browser few times and basically locked it down with running addresses.....
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Burnt-enz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:32 pm

We aren't having much luck either, getting the same results as Powderfinger. It only seems to grab the browser in the registered sections. :(
We can't go until Januray and now we are locked out of our daily "fix." aaaggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

By the way. We loved the pictures of the Resort. Good idea posting them!
Burnt-enz
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Powder - make sure AdBlock Plus is subscribed to Easylist and you should not even see the ads let alone be bothered by redirects, you can also manually block them-see the help file for AdBlock for how to do this
CokeMann
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya