sim card for a quad band unlocked GSM phone

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

sim card for a quad band unlocked GSM phone

Postby wifenhusb101 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm

We would appreciate if someone can point us to the purchase of a sim card, like, are there shops in Mexico city transit area or cancun airport arrival area? We are in Transit in Mexico city for two hours and will be arriving in Cancun to stay in Desire for 4 nights. Mainly to keep in touch with family back home
wifenhusb101

Postby CokeMann » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes you can purchase a TelMex card almost anywhere in Mexico and at the Cancun Airport - unfortunately they only work from pay phones. (ie not from the Desire telephone system)

You would be far better to just rent a cell phone for 4 days

- contact http://www.cancunvalet.com/?p=p_3 $5.00 per day and $0.69 a minute
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Majic Jack

Postby tikihutguy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 pm

If you travel with laptop best alternative for while at Desire is get a MajicJack for $20 in the US. Hook up the Desire telephone and voila - free calls to the U.S.
:D
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby wifenhusb101 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Thx guys, We will travel with my laptop as its the best option for us.

However, just curious, if I have to buy the local sim card, then is it possible to do so after arrival at cancun before taking the resort transportation?
wifenhusb101

Postby CokeMann » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 pm

wifenhusb101 - just to get it correct - I guess I misunderstood your earlier post - I assumed that you wanted to purchase a sim based telephone card

Why would you want to purchase a local TelMex sim chip for your cell phone ??

If you have International Roaming enabled on your existing GSM phone before you leave home it should just work like normal - you will have do use international dialing codes to call home but you will not requuire a local TelMex sim chip
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby tikihutguy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Agreed, Coke, but the rates are a tad high. We use Verizon and I think the international rate was around $1.75 a minute. Whatever your carrier check rates before leaving and have them activate international calling. Verizon worked fine from Desire, but the laptop was cheaper. :)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Postby wifenhusb101 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Its just the rates. International roaming charges are high and I am just looking for a local cheaper alternative. We do buy the local simcard and a phone card usually when we travel in europe or asia and it worked out to be the cheapest to call long distance using the GSM unlocked phone. Alternative is to use the laptop in wi-fi enabled areas, which is not always convenient.
wifenhusb101

Postby CokeMann » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

The $0.69 per minute rate (+$5 /day rental) through CancunValet is probably the best you can do for a short stay - other than laptop / MagicJack
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby tikihutguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 pm

I posted the following in a new topic "Skype" by mistake. Meant to put it here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I just remembered: if you have your laptop you can download Skype and Skype any stateside people that also have it. Free program. My son's girlfriend was in Paris last summer and Skyped him in Florida. He walked his computer around the house and showed her every room! It's pretty real-time stuff and fun! You've probably seen some news programs with the Skyped reports. Worth a shot...
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya