Avoiding membership tour

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Avoiding membership tour

Postby TheGinger&TheGiant » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Is there a way to bypass the membership salespeople upon check-in? We have absolutely no interest in attending any sort of presentation, nor purchasing a membership. I've read some reviews that say you're handed off to the membership people for your room keys. We would like to avoid this if at all possible. Any tips on how to do so?
TheGinger&TheGiant
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 13 Oct 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS DDN

Re: Avoiding Timeshare Tour

Postby CokeMann » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Sure, easy - just say NO

No, you don't need. want a orientation tour, etc or however they try try to disguise it..
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Re: Avoiding membership tour

Postby Draguin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 am

When you check in, they will pass you off to offer a tour/orientation and will try to set up a meeting regarding the membership. Just make it clear that you're not interested and there's nothing they can do to get you interested and they will drop it. On our first trip, we simply said there was no feasible way our finances would allow us to purchase anything. They can't sell you something if you have no money.
Draguin
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 02 Feb 2023

Postby bmerryman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 am

I think the pressure is increasing somewhat. In 2016 we said "no, not interested" to 3 salespeople before they let us go. In 2017, they really pressured us to sit through it again. I told them there is no way we will buy a membership. The guy told us, "so what, I get credit if you just sit through it, and you get coupons, so why not"? We said no about 5 times and they kept coming up with better offers. Finally, I said look we have no money, we cannot buy anything. Then they offered financing the deal. Easy down payment on a credit card and easy monthly payments! Finally, we just said "look, keep your damn coupons, I just want out of here, and we got up and left.
Desire RM 01/03/16
Desire RM 04/12/17
Desire RM 06/05/18
Desire RM 11/09/19
bmerryman
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 09 Nov 2019

Postby Lkncouple » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 am

The last time we were there. We told them we sat through it before. We have zero interest in it. Thanks but no thanks, can we please have our keys. The sales person was really pissed and would not say another word to us. She became very cold and we just sat there for a few minutes then they finally gave us the keys and said nothing. Not, have a great stay, not have a nice day nothing. These people really need a lesson in sales, in that if they were nice, they need to understand the first rule of sales. All things equal, people buy from people they like, all things being unequal people buy from people they like. At the end of that 2 minutes, I hated the sales rep and would not buy a free beer from her.
Lkncouple
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 Jan 2018

Postby TheGinger&TheGiant » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 am

These are the kinds of situations we'd like to avoid. It doesn't ruin a vacation, but it definitely sets it off on a bad note. Could I make a note on my express check-in that we do not want to talk to the salespeople, please have our key when we check in? Will they do that?
TheGinger&TheGiant
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 13 Oct 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS DDN

Postby CokeMann » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 am

TheGinger&TheGiant wrote:Could I make a note on my express check-in that we do not want to talk to the salespeople, please have our key when we check in? Will they do that?

You could put it in the the notes/special requests area - couldn't hurt ;)
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Calicouple69 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:59 am

Just keep repeating "no, thank you" with a gentle smile :D it does seem they've gotten a tad more aggressive. On our first trip, we don't even remember being asked, but in hindsight, we were with a group and the lovely Char was right there outside the lobby door welcoming her guests. Since then, it's gotten a bit more tedious :?
LifestyleLounge, SLS: norcalicouple69
Calicouple69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: LifestyleLounge S

Postby Explorer79 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

We were wondering how long it would last if if we didn't shower for a week beforehand then got all touchy-feely during the presentation, all the while keep mentioning how we love this place, _especially_ the sales staff.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby TandD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 pm

I've always thought we looked "normal" but we must not be the type of people they are looking for because we've never been hassled about the membership stuff. They ask, we say "Nah, not interested. They say "Are you sure?" and we say "Yup". End of story.

This is giving me a complex. Maybe they don't really want us that badly.

Ironically, with our fifth visit coming up, we were actually thinking that maybe we *should* become members. They probably won't even ask us this time and we will have to negotiate *up* the price to get them to let us join.

Shit.
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby werfun » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 pm

We have always said no thank you to the time share pitch on our trips to Desire. On one trip we had one sale person that just wouldn't take no for an answer. We finally gave in just to get rid of him and sat down with two other couples for his pitch. On our first trip we went to a membership pitch so I had all the figures that went with the membership. When he asked me what I thought I told him that in my case that a membership was a waste of my money as I only had 4 weeks vacation and when all the expenses were taken into effect I could pay full cost for 2 weeks a year cheaper. He then started talking about the many benefits of membership and being able to use different resorts. I told him we didn't use those benefits and didn't stay at other resorts. After that he couldn't get rid of us fast enough so that we would not queer his sale pitch to the other two couples. Later we saw the couples at the pool and that he got mad at them because they would not sign up right away. One couple told me that they went back to their room and ran the numbers and also decided that the time share didn't work for them either. We are not against memberships as we are sure that they are great for some but for others its not such a good deal.
We are surprised that they attempt to give you a sales pitch before you even see your room or the rest of the resort. I'm sure that a membership pitch would be more effective after a couple of days at Desire when the Desire magic has taken effect on you. We know one couple that keep saying no to the sales pitch until their third day there then signed up after enjoying Desire for 3 days.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby nolacmk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:47 pm

I hate sales pitches, especially on vacation. I guess I will have to start my first Desire trip being firm and maybe even rude to commission-based, pushy salesperson. NOT the way I wanted to start my vacation. NOT a classy way to be introduced to the resort.

I can't believe that their offer of a tour of the resort when you arrive is just a farce to lure you into a f----- sales pitch. That's beyond the pale, IMHO.
nolacmk

We arrive on: 22 Jul 2017

Postby SouthCarolinaCpl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

We just tell them we have enough money to pay full price whenever we "desire" and do not care about discounts or benefits. Seems to work..
SouthCarolinaCpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Apr 2024

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya