Snorkeling

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Snorkeling

Postby Bones » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am

I'm sure its been discussed, but I figured it quicker to just ask...
1) Has anyone snorkeled right there at the resort? If so, is it decent?
2)Can you do it naked?
3) can you rent gear at resort or is it bring your own?

We don't intend on leaving the resort to go on a excursion, but wouldn't mind playing around in the water while there.

Any input appreciated.
C4P: bonesnwifey
Bones
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 12 Oct 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: C4P

Re: Snorkeling

Postby Explorer79 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm sure its been discussed, but I figured it quicker to just ask...
1) Has anyone snorkeled right there at the resort? If so, is it decent?
2)Can you do it naked?
3) can you rent gear at resort or is it bring your own?

We don't intend on leaving the resort to go on a excursion, but wouldn't mind playing around in the water while there.

I've snorkeled in the resort, while naked in the hot tub, I brought my own gear (it's always with me) :mrgreen:

As for what you are really asking - I think there's a place where you can set up excursions (off site), not sure if they have any rental gear but I've never seen any sign of it. I would think you could bring your own and snorkel naked right off the beach with no problem. Not sure how much you would see, but that would be a good way to do it for a while easily without having to go off site.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby texascouple1208 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I may be mistaken, but I recall reading on this forum that the resort has snorkeling gear that you can borrow. May not even have to rent it. We contemplated snorkeling right in front of the resort in advance of our trip, but ended up finding other things to occupy us...
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby khplay8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

Yes the resort does have cheap crappy snorkel gear to use free.
I always bring my own gear as using a mask that doesn't fit correctly isn't any fun.
Yes you can snorkel nude but I wouldn't. Depending on the time of the year you go Sea Lice are are big problem. They are tiny jelly fish that swim in packs of 10's of thousands. You can swim thru a school and not even notice them they are very hard to see. My wife and I have both been bitten and they give you a nasty red infection that stings pretty bad. I now bring a thin wet suit.
I almost always snorkel on the beach there but the water isn't super clear there and there is not a lot of stuff to see right there. There are some great reefs and other spots to snorkel and the boat some of the boats will pick you up at Desire. But I totally understand not wanting to leave the resort for an excursion.
SLS and KIK: KHPLAY8
khplay8
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 28 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby Bones » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:53 am

right on, thanks for the input. I was kinda thinkin the same after I wrote it, bring own as it does suck to not have something that fits well. I'm glad you mentioned the bites (yikes) as I have never snorkeled anything but our MO rivers. Hitting the reefs would be cool, maybe on future visits.
C4P: bonesnwifey
Bones
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 12 Oct 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: C4P

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya