How to get pool chairs in good location?

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

How to get pool chairs in good location?

Postby gibor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Last year we had troubles to get good beach chairs in pool area. How to get beach chairs in good location? Just to come very early in the morning or "bribe" Dani-boy (chairs manager)?!
gibor
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 02 Dec 2017

Re: How to get pool chairs in good location?

Postby texascouple_sdc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Well, we've known Danny for 5-6 years now, ever since our 1st visit. When we were first introduced to Danny during our first trip to Desire, he has remembered our names. Very impressive memory! So, each year when we return, he already knows who we are and which area of the pool that we enjoy laying in. The chairs that are typically regarded as the best chairs at the pool, as far as the sun is concerned, are the ones on the side of the pool that is closest to the ocean. Those chairs are reserved for the members. We've even tried heavily tipping Danny for one of those chairs this past year and as nice as Danny is to us, he politely said that he could not seat non members in that section. That rule might be different or not heavily enforced during months where the resort isn't at full capacity. For us, the resort was at full capacity so chairs were snatched up quickly. Every morning around 7 am, I got up and stumbled my way to the pool to greet Danny (or Danny's replacement if it was his day off). I kindly tipped Danny as we tend to tip the whole staff for doing such an awesome job and head back to my room. By 9:30 - 9:50 am, we were out of our room and at the pool.. relaxing. It is at this point that we usually see ALL of the chairs immediately closest to the pool area already spoken for / reserved. The next set of chairs / round beds are the ones behind the first row and those start filling up fast. Finally the last row, the beds furthest from the pool, are usually the last ones to get reserved but even then, those will get occupied by 11-ish am.
DRM - Jun '12, Jul '13, Jun '14, Jun '15, Jun '16, Jun '17, Jun '18, Jul/Aug '20
SDC: texascouple
C4P: texascouple
texascouple_sdc
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 24 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC and C4P

Postby gibor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 pm

We came sevaral times around 9-9:30am and Dani was telling that even the beds furthest from the pool are already occupied and was giving us this huge bed for 4 couples on the ocean side... Was thinking maybe I need to give him a good tip at the beginning of the vacation?
gibor
Desire Addict

Postby texascouple_sdc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 pm

gibor wrote:We came sevaral times around 9-9:30am and Dani was telling that even the beds furthest from the pool are already occupied and was giving us this huge bed for 4 couples on the ocean side... Was thinking maybe I need to give him a good tip at the beginning of the vacation?

Wow, that's even earlier than what we experienced! Sounds like an alarm needs to be set and an unfortunate volunteer needs to get up, head over to the pool and make a very early morning reservation. In our situation, Mr Texascouple was volun-told to be the one to arrange our morning chair reservations at the pool.. Hehe. But he doesn't seem to mind too much.. he has a ton of "fringe benefits" that he enjoys while we are there. :)~
DRM - Jun '12, Jul '13, Jun '14, Jun '15, Jun '16, Jun '17, Jun '18, Jul/Aug '20
SDC: texascouple
C4P: texascouple
texascouple_sdc
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 24 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC and C4P

Postby mr&mrssnow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Every morning at 7am walk down to the pool, meet up with Danny, pick your spot, lay down your towels, give him a $20 and head back to the room for much needed rest. Worked all week last November.
Desire Rm
Nov. 16
May. 18
May. 19
mr&mrssnow
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 09 May 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Swingingheaven

Postby gibor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:11 pm

give him a $20
Danny should be muti-millionaire with such tips :)
gibor
Desire Addict

Postby mr&mrssnow » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 pm

$140 is a small price to pay to have comfort around the pool all week. Premium service deserves premium tips.
Desire Rm
Nov. 16
May. 18
May. 19
mr&mrssnow
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 09 May 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Swingingheaven

Postby khplay8 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Danny is a good guy and as with all the staff your service doesn't depend on tipping him. It seems like the good beds were gone around 8:30-9am. Make sure you bring a book or a shirt or something because if you don't use it in some sort (even just putting a shirt on it) within a couple hours they will give it away.
SLS and KIK: KHPLAY8
khplay8
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 28 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby gibor » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 pm

What I didn't really get last visit... Do all chairs around pool required reservation? Or there are some chairs kinda "first come - first serve", for example if I see some empty chair a bit far from the pool, can just take it? Or Everytime I need to approach Dani?
gibor
Desire Addict

Postby eddieandjojo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:28 pm

As suggested, simply check in with Danny and he'll set you up. We've been going for 12 years and the process hasn't changed, we are pool peeps and as such Danny is our go-to guy every trip!
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby khplay8 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:52 pm

gibor wrote:What I didn't really get last visit... Do all chairs around pool required reservation? Or there are some chairs kinda "first come - first serve", for example if I see some empty chair a bit far from the pool, can just take it? Or Everytime I need to approach Dani?

All chairs are first come first serve but must be reserved thru the pool guy (Usually Danny at RM) He has a seat chart and reserves the seat/bed to your room for the day.
The seats/beds on the ocean side of the pool are reserved for members but also must be reserved everyday. I'm not sure but I think if you have butler they can reserve your beds for you.
SLS and KIK: KHPLAY8
khplay8
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 28 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby eddieandjojo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm

khplay8 wrote:The seats/beds on the ocean side of the pool are reserved for members but also must be reserved everyday. I'm not sure but I think if you have butler they can reserve your beds for you.

Yes they can, Danny will ask how many days you'll be there and if you'd like the same bed/lounger. You do need to check with him by 10 but as all have said, he's the man!
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby SimonandReese » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 am

Hi gibor! Having just been to Desire RM this past week, we had no problem obtaining a bed by going to the pool at around 7-730 and reserving one with 'Danny'. Yes, a tip is nice but 'paying' $20 a day for your bed or chairs is not necessary. Danny is just as nice with or without. Adding your wrap, book or a personal item does help if you are not going to be down for hours but we never had our bed taken from us on a day we went snorkeling or were at the gym, just our pillows our pillows went MIA.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip! :D
SimonandReese

We arrive on: 23 Sep 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sls

Postby lnjnnc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:44 pm

We've been going to Desire since 2004. I'm an early riser. I go down to the pool (sometimes swim laps) and usually place our "stuff" on 4 chairs (we typically travel with another couple), daily. I've done this for 15 trips or so......and I've never had our belongings moved by anyone.

We tip Danny sometime during the trip, but it's definitely once and not daily.

Your mileage may vary.
lnjnnc
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 27 Oct 2017

Postby northernlightscpl » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm

eddieandjojo wrote:
khplay8 wrote:The seats/beds on the ocean side of the pool are reserved for members but also must be reserved everyday. I'm not sure but I think if you have butler they can reserve your beds for you.

Yes they can, Danny will ask how many days you'll be there and if you'd like the same bed/lounger. You do need to check with him by 10 but as all have said, he's the guy

Yes your right on multiday reservations on the first day. We have been going for years and once he knows how long you are staying, those are your loungers or bed until your last day. :L
northernlightscpl
northernlightscpl
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 27 Jan 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya