Is Jan/Feb too cold to visit?

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Is Jan/Feb too cold to visit?

Postby DesireFansFromNYC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:03 pm

My husband and I visited DRM for the first time in Sept 2017. We of course loved it and are starting to think about our 2018 trip already!! I would like to go Jan/Feb when it is freezing back at home. He is worried the ocean might be too cold to swim and that we should wait until Spring. Thoughts anyone???
DesireFansFromNYC

We are from: USA

Re: Is Jan/Feb too cold to visit?

Postby Racecity12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Although we never took a dip in the ocean, we found the weather to be perfect in late February and are headed back to DP again in Feb 2018.
Last time we sent there was an ice & snow storm when we left here in NC and that made it even more fun.
Racecity12
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 23 Feb 2018

Postby $parkie7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 pm

We went this year over Super Bowl weekend, the first weekend in February. It was HOT. The water was perfect. We enjoyed that weekend so much that we have already booked for February 2018 to watch the Super Bowl on the giant screen again. It was a blast!

XOXOXOX
SDC: WOW
$parkie7
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 31 Jan 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby bmerryman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 am

My wife's birthday is January 3 so we went for her birthday. The ocean was too cold for me (major shrinkage) but she played in it a lot. Of course the pool and hot tub were perfect. And the best thing about January is there are no bugs and no extreme heat. We have been in January and April and I prefer April for the warmer ocean but there were bugs. I think the seaweed is worse in April also. We saw very little seaweed in January.
Desire RM 01/03/16
Desire RM 04/12/17
Desire RM 06/05/18
Desire RM 11/09/19
bmerryman
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 Nov 2019

Postby canadiantakeover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

DesireFansFromNYC wrote:My husband and I visited DRM for the first time in Sept 2017. We of course loved it and are starting to think about our 2018 trip already!! I would like to go Jan/Feb when it is freezing back at home. He is worried the ocean might be too cold to swim and that we should wait until Spring. Thoughts anyone???

We're generally January people. Swinger's month was a lot of fun, and it's generally been sunny and warm.

The worst part of the trip is heading home, from 30C to -30C. Ocean shrinkage is nothing compared to nipples that can etch glass!
RM - Jan 2015, Jan 2016, Jan 2017, Aug 2017
Next up: RM - Jan 2018!

The rumours about us are true, eh!
canadiantakeover
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 09 Jan 2016

Postby TandD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:03 am

canadiantakeover wrote:..nipples that can etch glass!

Go on...
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby two4funinpa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am

We go in January or February every year. Our new tradition is Valentine's Day at RM.

It really is our favorite time of the year in Mexico... The weather during the day is low 80's, and the Ocean is fine to swim in. The nights are comfortable...perfect in fact. Low 70's. Once in all our trips we ever had to put on a sweat shirt, and that was for a super early (pre-dawn) walk on the beach. Plus...it's not hurricane season, and January and February have the least amount of rain fall.

And the seaweed problem on the beach people love to talk about...way less of an issue in the Winter.

Plus, we love to escape our Northeast Winters...
SLS - two4funinpanow
KIK - two4funinpa
two4funinpa
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 20 Dec 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby northernlightscpl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 pm

two4funinpa wrote:We go in January or February every year. Our new tradition is Valentine's Day at RM.

It really is our favorite time of the year in Mexico... The weather during the day is low 80's, and the Ocean is fine to swim in. The nights are comfortable...perfect in fact. Low 70's. Once in all our trips we ever had to put on a sweat shirt, and that was for a super early (pre-dawn) walk on the beach. Plus...it's not hurricane season, and January and February have the least amount of rain fall.

And the seaweed problem on the beach people love to talk about...way less of an issue in the Winter.

Plus, we love to escape our Northeast Winters...

Ditto, every year end of Jan/first of Feb to super bowl, some evenings can be cool after a hot day and 'bare'able, but fully agree with above...... Anyways a hot time in the jacuzzi after midnight........ we have gone other times of the year, but ISM, no bugs and stable weather is a plus *(also all of the repeat annual friends is the ising on the cake)
northernlightscpl
northernlightscpl
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 27 Jan 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Twohere4some » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 am

We have been in mid October (some heavy rain), early May (beautiful), late June (very hot) and mid December (near perfect). That said, all have been wonderful trips. Looking forward to our mid January visit. What ever the weather, it has to be better then the Mid-West in winter!!!!
Twohere4some
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 01 Sep 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SZC

Postby violetdream » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Short answer...NO. It is our favorite time of year to visit.
Danny
violetdream
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 0- 0-2015

Postby DesireFansFromNYC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you for all your replies! We just booked RM for this Feb. Can't wait to get back down there!
DesireFansFromNYC

Postby Kix@56 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am

We stayed in Akumal in March 2016 and the warmest temp of the whole week was 74, one day the high was 70, and the lows were in the 50's. Being from MN we wore the hoodies we had along outside at night and were glad we had them. That's unusual weather down there but it just proves that you never know.
Kix@56

We arrive on: 09 Jun 2018

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya