Issues with water quality in hot tub

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Re: Issues with water quality in hot tub

Postby SJCrazy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:56 pm

I've never had any trouble, but I'll arrive in 8 days (a little less actually, not that I'm counting...). I'll test the pH too, just to put this to bed, one way or the other.
SJCrazy on Kasidie
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby gibor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm

SJCrazy wrote:I've never had any trouble, but I'll arrive in 8 days (a little less actually, not that I'm counting...). I'll test the pH too, just to put this to bed, one way or the other.

IMHO, it's a good idea :). The kit cost like $10-15.
Just note, that every day water can be different...we've been there 7 nights, 2-3 nights the water even smelt like rotten eggs, other days it seemed (at least visually OK)
gibor
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 02 Dec 2017

Postby TandD » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:29 am

Man, I'm not sure I would want to know.

So at 4:00 you head over to the hot tub and, before you get in, you test the water and it comes out "bad" (whatever that is). Now you've got a decision to make. Plus, do you tell everyone?

Hard to argue with having more information rather than less I guess but in this case, I think it's just another risk that I'm willing to take for the sake of pleasure.
TandD
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby gibor » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:26 pm

The decision will be simple :)
- if pH level would be normal, I will spend there long time
- if pH level would be a bit higher, I will spend there less time and gonna apply vaselin before and after
- if pH level would be too high, I wouldn't go in , but will go to manager of the resort with test results :)

Plus, do you tell everyone?
I will tell to people who asks.... btw, during our stay, it was vary popular topic of conversation :)

I think it's just another risk that I'm willing to take for the sake of pleasure.
First several days I was thinking the same and later it became really bad.
gibor
Desire Addict

Postby Explorer79 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Back in May there were a couple of days where it was "strong" (for lack of a better word). You could smell the chemicals. I didn't have any trouble but I did hear a couple of women complain about "irritation", one even mentioned a yeast infection (don't know if that's possible from this).

I'm not sure why this should be an issue - it seems like a pretty easy thing to stay on top of and do right, it's not like its some new thing, people have been treating pools and hot tubs forever.

Worse is if the staff isn't listening to complaints on this - it is a potential health matter, you think if they would take anything seriously it would be this.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby red88vette » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Just back yesterday Dec 15th from Pearl, did not have any nor see or hear of any concerns about the water. I did see the staff twice daily checking the water with the simple Ph sampler over the past week. 2 days we saw an outside vendor pulling big cups of water then taking it to his very elaborate looking test kit, so assume there was some concerns about ensuring the water was in good shape. The Jacuzzi very full every day, probably because the air temp was very cool.
2022-Aug, Oct, Dec,
Total-30
red88vette
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 15 Oct 2022

Postby gibor » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:31 pm

I was talking about RM, not Pearl... In 7 days we were there (every day in hot tub area) didn't see anyone checking the water
gibor
Desire Addict

Postby CanadianGirl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:46 pm

gibor wrote:
I work in the chemistry field and I could guarantee you your sample was not correct. A pH sample has to be checked almost immediately and will start to deteriorate after a few hours

I don't work in chemistry field and maybe you are right, but during our stay Dec 2- 9 , practically all guys had "red balls", some more, some less ... and a lot of girls had issues with skin.... I complained about it on our 2nd day to resort managers (some other guys did do), but they didn't do anything.
Have you ever seen that somebody from Desire staff is checking pH level in hot tub or swimming pool?! I didn't!
(in all Canadian gyms pH level shoudl be checked every 2 hours!).

I did notice they do a Chlorine Residual a couple times a day, it was actually written down beside the bar. I can't imagine they would do that and not pH, it would make no sense. It is really unfortunate they didn't address your complaint right away. It seems their customer service has been going downhill the past few years. I find even via e-mail they don't address a lot of concerns.
CanadianGirl
Desire Lover

Postby Play_Dough » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

I thought they drained the hot tub daily at RM. I have never seen anyone test water at hot tub or pool until our last trip. We sat at the loungers by the round palapa by the pool. The doors to the mechanical equipment for the pool are below there. We saw a guy go in there and do some samples of the water. The staff there are not intrusive so they may be doing it when we don't even notice.
Play_Dough
Desire Fan

Postby gibor » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:41 pm

I thought they drained the hot tub daily at RM
They used to do it before, but I heard , not any more.... One day I went there in the morning and nobody drained hot tub
gibor
Desire Addict

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya