Pre Check-In

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Pre Check-In

Postby rd4sun » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14 am

Thought I remember seeing on here in the past a topic about the ability to "pre check-in" prior to arriving at Desire Cancun. Have been to Desire Cabo 3 times and they did not offer this service. Does anyone know if this feature still exists in Cancun and how it works?
rd4sun
Desire Convert

Postby CandyLou » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:46 am

On Desires web sight, they have a express check in on the front right side
CandyLou
Desire Convert

Postby rd4sun » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks...missed that entirely.
rd4sun
Desire Convert

Postby newbie22 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am

I was wondering if anyone knows if requesting express check in will lesson the possibility of getting the time share pitch? Perhaps in the "special requirements" box I could state: "Please, no timeshare pitch."
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby tout.prest » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Newbie, I highly doubt the express checkin will have any impact on a sales pitch. Its not like the express actually prevents you from sitting down at the front desk, it merely speeds up the process.

Everyone seems to worry about the sales pitch, but just make it clear that they are wasting THEIR time even trying with you. I have never had an issue shutting them down before they even get going, and then its over.

Just be clear and firm that you have NO interest in hearing about it or participating in it. Dont give them any hope or they may keep contacting you throughout your stay, and thats not fun.

After the quick checkin you will pass thru the glass doors to paradise ...... :shock: .

Its all good ! Enjoy the anticipation.

15 more days for us and then only 143 more till May. (I LOVE having 2 countdowns going at the same time! :wink: )

Steve :D
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby CokeMann » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

newbie22, I would also add two points
- it is not pitched as a timeshare - it is the the Premier membership program (ie really more like a gym membership - lol)
- avoid (just say no) to the offer of a private orientation tour of Desire(and any free things offered, ie free massage, etc) - this is just another way of the Premier people doing their pitch to you.

Desire does not provide orientation tours for their guests - it's a small resort and if you have any questions about anything just ask one of the Desire staff - they are always helpful
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby newbie22 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks....no worries. I have no problems with communicating my position on something. I just didn't want a situation where I have to be overly blunt with someone, which would be likely to happen if they didn't get the "nice version" of we are ready to start our vacation and we don't want the tour.

I am sure the staff get that, and when they see I am adamant that it will not be an issue. I understand everyone has a job to do and do not begrudge a representative for trying to fulfill their obligations.

Damn, I am ready for this vacation already! 38 more days!!
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby miranda » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm

There is a "field" on the Express Check In form that asks how many visits you have had.

I wonder if this has any bearing on anything at all?

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby vabells » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:24 pm

we were there in feb,did express check-in,they did not even ask about sales pitch,going in 2 weeks,hope express check-in works again.we got the 1st choice of rooms also
vabells
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 18 Jun 2016

Postby juicyeve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 pm

When we went, we just nodded and said "uh-huh" noncommittally when they pitched the "free breakfast and brief presentation" to us...then just didn't go. Nobody ever said peep about it.
juicyeve

Postby Piqued » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:52 pm

@ juicyeve, we had the same strategy as you did. But then we received a phone call on the morning we had made our "appointment." We almost didn't answer the phone, but figured it might be our family back home.

We told the person on the phone that we had made other arrangements that morning and wouldn't be able to meet with them. But we were told that the person we were scheduled to meet had traveled an hour to be there that morning, and that someone had already paid $100 for our "gift" out of pocket. They basically guilted us (okay, me) into going to the sales pitch.

On the plus side, the rep they sent to meet us was a lovely person (both inside and out.) On the minus side, we had NO interest in their program, and it was a giant waste of time for them and (more importantly) us.

In the end, it was the only negative experience of our entire stay.
Piqued
Desire Fan

Postby mfay » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 am

Sorry to say the express check-in, and the field where you state how many previous Desire trips you've had,
have nothing to do with whether or not you get the "pitch". Most of the people at the Desire desk know us well, and I think because of that we had not been even approached by the salespeople for several trips. But, this past September, there was a new fellow at the desk who handled our check-in (we had done the express ahead of time.) After this new guy had us checked in- but before handing us keys- he says "while I finish up you need to come over here and see (forget her name but of course a very attractive young lady) for your orientation. I laughed at the guy and said told that with our history at Desire we could give her an orientation- and that we were not interested.
So as someone said above, just do not accept any free massage offers, invites to orientations or breakfasts, and don't be afraid to announce right off the bat that you are simply not interested in any membership programs and that you do not want to be bothered with any presentations of any kind.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby miranda » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:18 pm

When we arrived and were being checked in, the front desk staff asked us if we had ever been to Desire Cancun.

When we said that we hadn't but had been to Desire Cabo we were told that we would be directed to "Senorita" who would give us a tour.

We looked at each other and then we just asked if this was a time share information session and were told, "yes".

We said no thank you and were shown to our room. They didn't bother us all week about it.

And you are correct, mfay. Filling in the field as to the number of stays we have had (on-line express check-in form) means nothing.

We got all our requests honoured, though. :)
miranda
Desire Legend

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya