A few questions

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

A few questions

Postby Doobydoll » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am

Hey! T minus 11 days until arrival. I do have a few questions.
1. How dressy are the restaurants?
2. Do I need to make reservations?
3. Beyond the clothing optional areas - pretty casual dress? No worries - I'm leaving my yoga pants at home. :D
4. Is there a gym on site? Being cautiously optimistic here. I may never seek it out.
5. Mexican customs? Pretty easy?
6. Is it normal to be this FREAKING excited?

Thank you for your help!
Doobydoll

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Mar 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Re: A few questions

Postby TandD » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am

I can't offer specific details on RM except that I'm pretty sure there is a gym as at Pearl.

As for Mexican Customs and Immigration - yes, it's easy, just potentially lengthy. On various trips we've waited in huge lines for over an hour and also walked off the plane and right up to an agent. So far no correlation to days/times that I can figure out. It's really down to how many planes land at the same time and dump passengers into the queue.

You need to fill out a C&I card either on the plane or now you can do it online (I'll see if I can find the link). There are two sections on the form where you enter your info twice. They (Immigrations) take one and give you the second and you need to hang onto that second part and give it back to them when you leave. Just keep it with your passport so you don't lose it.

When you get to Customs someone in your party presses a button and you randomly get either a red or a green light. Green and you just walk out. Red, you go over to an inspection table and they look through your luggage for who knows what. Nothing to worry about - they don't care about your sexy clothes or your bottle of lube and 1,000 condoms and double ended dildo (apparently).

Once you get out of C&I you have to run the gauntlet of time share hawkers in order to get outside to your (hopefully) pre-arranged transportation. The hawkers are very good at spotting newbies - people who look unsure of what to do or where to go. Don't be *that guy*. Stride purposefully past them all and get outside. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200! It's easy to get fooled. Even after doing this for several trips, I got snagged last trip by a guy who looked more "official" than the others and managed to get me to stop. He tried to convince me that the configuration of the airport had changed and I needed to modify my transportation details. I quickly realized what was happening and gave him the "You almost got me" look. We exchanged grins.

All that is not to scare you - just to help you prepare for it. Bottom line - once you get through Customs, don't stop until you get outside.

Yes, it's normal to be freaking out before your trip. Enjoy it!
TandD
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby desireaddict » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm

1) Long pants and shoes (not sandals), a sport coat is not necessary but would not be too over the top
2) Only for Sahlo -- the nicer of the restaurants -- and the Hibachi table in Suki -- reservations can only be made that morning for the evening
3) Very casual. Shorts, sandals, TShirts, sarong, robe, etc
4) Yes, but I've never seen it. (Vacation)
5) Accurate reply above
6) You bet! That feeling never goes away. That's why there are couples who have returned 6, 8, 10 & more times.

Life is Good!
DA
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby Justskin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm

There is a very nicely equipped gym. Treadmills can be in demand, so earlier may be mo betta for that specific equipment....

Classy dress for both men and women is always in style at DRM. @};-
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Sep 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby max4play » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 am

TandD wrote:You need to fill out a C&I card either on the plane or now you can do it online (I'll see if I can find the link). There are two sections on the form where you enter your info twice. They (Immigrations) take one and give you the second and you need to hang onto that second part and give it back to them when you leave. Just keep it with your passport so you don't lose it.

Here's the link to do the form online; https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

We haven't used it before but I believe the only advantage is that you don't have to bother filling it out on the plane - you will still have to fill out the customs form even if you use this one. I think you will still have to join the cue to clear customs with everyone else which is the longest part of your trip it seems as the cue can be huge although, with the new terminal open, the cues seem shorter lately.

You'll love it - we go two or three times a year it seems and enjoy each trip as much as the last. Have fun.
We might be addicted!
Over 25 visits in the last 8 years!
max4play
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 10 Feb 2024

Postby TandD » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:14 pm

max4play wrote:
TandD wrote:You need to fill out a C&I card either on the plane or now you can do it online (I'll see if I can find the link). There are two sections on the form where you enter your info twice. They (Immigrations) take one and give you the second and you need to hang onto that second part and give it back to them when you leave. Just keep it with your passport so you don't lose it.

Here's the link to do the form online; https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

We haven't used it before but I believe the only advantage is that you don't have to bother filling it out on the plane - you will still have to fill out the customs form even if you use this one. I think you will still have to join the cue to clear customs with everyone else which is the longest part of your trip it seems as the cue can be huge although, with the new terminal open, the cues seem shorter lately.

You'll love it - we go two or three times a year it seems and enjoy each trip as much as the last. Have fun.

Thanks for posting the link. Yes, the online immigration form doesn't remove the need to stand in any lines. It's just *slightly* more convenient to fill out the form online vs. hoping they have them on the plane to fill out before you land. Otherwise, you have to find a form in the terminal and fill it out there while everyone else is getting in line.

We always found the queue for Immigration to be the longest. This is the huge area with all the back and forth mazes to take you up to where they stamp your passport - and take the form. For Customs (the second check just before you get outside) it always seems to only have a few people in it and I don't think we've ever waited more than 2 minutes for that.
TandD
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya