Time share pitch

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Time share pitch

Postby eddy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Someone tell me how to politely get out of the timeshare pitch. This will be our second trip and we would just like to get in and get goin.
eddy
Desire Lover

Postby CokeMann » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Simple - just say no thanks - and that means no thanks to the "orientation tour of Desire" - which is the sneaky way of delivery the pitch....

You have no obligation other than the usual official check in administrivia, and of course having a great time - it's your vacation, don't waste a minute of it on anything that you don't want to do
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby wifenhusb101 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 am

we had the same problem when we checked in. I ve written about it in my trip report
wifenhusb101

Postby eddieandjojo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:22 am

As Wayne mentions, just politely but firmly say no thanks and move on.

There is absolutely nothing you will need to do besides check in (tip - use Express Check-In on website a few days prior to arrival to save a little time at the front desk), get your wrist/ankle bands and have Arcos (AWESOME BELLMAN) drop your bags in your room. Then go have some Desire fun.....

There is absolutely no need to spend any time doing anything you don't want to do!

Eddie
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Empty_Nesters » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:16 am

We were there just a couple of weeks ago and not once did anyone mention a time share proposal to us.
Empty_Nesters
Desire Convert

Postby travelingcpl68 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 am

We have been twice and neither time was time share mentioned. Last time was in October. One couple we met spent most of a morning listening to the pitch though. Its not clear to us how they seem to mention it to some, but not others.
SLS and SDC: Travelingcpl68
travelingcpl68
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 21 Oct 2021

Postby miranda » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 am

I thought I had read at some point that they ask you if you want a special breakfast and / or tour of the resort? Is this how they "get" you?
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby tout.prest » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:45 pm

How they usually "get" you is by offering something for "free" ie - Couples massage or store credits, etc....

Just remember that NOTHING is for free, and if it sounds to good to be true then.........

Politely and firmly say No. Dont play any games about agreeing and not showing up. They will hound you then.

As with everything else at Desire ----- No Means No ! :lol:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby sensualcnds » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Empty -> Part of the reason you weren't approached is that you were there as part of the Week43 group.

In general, the Premier agents have been advised not to interact with those guests there as part of an organized group. We went one step further and asked that those people that were registered as part of Week43 (which Renata would have known since we provided her with a copy of our booklet), not be bothered.

If couples were interested, we referred them back, but it was up to the couple to initiate the contact, not the Premier agents.

... See J's necklaces had other benefits too ... LOL :lol:
sensualcnds
Desire Lover

Postby Empty_Nesters » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:40 am

sensualcnds wrote:Empty -> Part of the reason you weren't approached is that you were there as part of the Week43 group.
... See J's necklaces had other benefits too ... LOL :lol:

I figured that might be the case.
Empty_Nesters
Desire Convert

Postby swspice » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 am

Are the Timeshares really worth looking into if couples are frequent visitors? Just wondering if anyone has actually sat in the presentation, and for annual visitors if it is worth considering.
swspice
Desire Lover

Postby CokeMann » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:43 pm

swspice - the first thing you have to realize is that what is being offered is not a timeshare.

It is strictly payment for ownership of "points" in the Premier / RCI program. The point program is just like most other "points" programs (airlines, credit cards, etc) - you can exchange the points for accommodation, etc (if available) but you still have to pay on top of the points the resorts daily AI fees for each stay - not a good deal in my mind since you have no control over what the AI fees will be
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby sensualcnds » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Coke - The program no longer has a firm basis on points...it's really a cobbled together program with the focus being on the Original Resorts portion. The gigantic RCI point pots are no longer being offered...rather you purchase weeks at Desire (AI fee is still on top of this) and get a small (10k-40k) allocation of RCI points/year (depending on your program). The referral program gives you 5 days AI and bonus features included. Programs started at 9500 (pre-negotiations) and go up from there. I will post more later as I took copious notes during our presentation :wink:
sensualcnds
Desire Lover

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya