Opinions needed

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Opinions needed

Postby Morning Man » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Two weeks ago, I approached the wife about what she wanted in the next vacation. Her answer was all inclusive and no kids, she didn't care beyond that. I wanted something different and sexy. All I could think of was us going to bed at 9PM after watching two old guys play the steel drum for an hour. Did a little research and long story short, came up with Desire Riviera Maya (and Pearl and Temptation). I've been surprised by the loyalty of everyone to all three and didn't see that in many other places. I just had to convince the wife. I hadn't finished my sales pitch before she was onboard and exited. Smaller, couples only, clothing optional, different, and definitely sexy- she's even open to "meeting" others.

Sadly, we have 2 commitments already this year that eat up most of our vacation time and budget and will have to wait for next year. (BTW, Is it selfish to wish a good friend's wedding would fall through so we could use that time to go to Desire in October? Would it make it worse if that good friend was the one that introduced us? Don't judge.) It looks like we will have time around Valentines day or April next year. What are everyone's thoughts? Valentines is obviously a "special" day, but I'm afraid mid February may be too cool to completely enjoy "lounging" around the pool. Do they usually schedule anything special that week?

What about mid April? Is it worth waiting another two months to go? Do either typically have a better crowd?

Lastly, for now, where is the cheapest place to book and when is the best time? Any suggestions?
Morning Man
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 08 May 2020

Re: Opinions needed

Postby mikeinnj » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 pm

I can try to answer some.

We have been in April, May, and November for all of our trips. This year adding another month. All 3 months were wonderful.

Crowds and takeovers vary week to week. We’ve seen “active weeks” and “calm weeks” at both resorts but we haven’t hit a takeover yet. Again, all were great.

Our normal booking method is Orbitz as the air and room combo works out the cheapest. However this year, United Vacations worked out cheaper. So a little time spend matching your schedule to various sites can pay off. We also usually book about 6 months out or at least start scanning prices, looking for coupons or specials and book when we feel we have a good deal.

If lucky enough to fly on points, book through this site and support it as room rates are pretty much just the same around.

Mike
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 14 May 2024

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 am

Morning Man wrote:(BTW, Is it selfish to wish a good friend's wedding would fall through so we could use that time to go to Desire in October? Would it make it worse if that good friend was the one that introduced us? Don't judge.)

Ha, just wait until you get back from your first trip, then the fun really starts :D After our first trip, on the night we got back what started out jokingly as "hey I see Desire has some rooms open in 6 weeks over Thanksgiving..." quickly morphed into " :shock: We Have To Go Back To The Island :shock:". We booked the next day.

To make all that work there were many rationalizations and logistical gymnastics including having to drive a total of 24 hours just to fly there (normally it's a 30 minute drive, 2 hour direct flight for us).

It was totally worth it.

I think you two will have an awesome experience, sounds similar to our path in that we started looking at all-inclusive, adults only, we had come across Desire and kinda were like "yeah, that would be cool one day, but maybe we should dip our toes in at some place like Breathless first". My wife went to the store and when she got back she said, "F*** it, let's go to Desire". Done.

The Desire experience started the moment we booked. It's the only vacation we have had that continues to deliver a great experience before, during and after, it's way more than just the trip itself.

Whenever you do book I highly recommend joining the groups for your week/month. It's a great way to get to know others before your trip or at least know some faces once you get there.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby desireaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 am

February or April?
Either time is great. Prices are the same for both months.
I would choose February.
1) You specified Valentines's Day, thus the resort will be sold out (book early) and that's always more fun than low occupancy.
2) It's definitely cold here at home in February and it's always more fun to call home when they have 10°F and snow. (April can go either way at home.)
We've been in January and it was plenty warm enough, so February should be similar. However, like here, highs and lows can vary 10° or so week to week, but not enough to where it could be "too cold" in Cancun.
Just a warning, a first trip to Desire causes a budget crisis in the months and years ahead, as you most certainly will return -- probably many times.

Carpe diem!
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby Morning Man » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Just booked for February. We already are talking about how hard it'll be to wait and if we can budget a 3 day weekend to "scout" the place out... anyone able to book last minute deals super cheap? "just get someone in the room" type thing?
Morning Man
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 08 May 2020

Postby mikeinnj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 am

I’ve never seen last minute specials but the time before can be a blast. Between the fashion shows as new outfits arrive, the interesting conversations that can go on, etc. It’s not as good as the trip but it can be fun.
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 14 May 2024

Postby raleightraveler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Been to DRM often in May, once in Nov and once in Feb (just before V Day). The weather varied a bit with each season, but plenty warm enough always to enjoy naked days on the beach, and barely there costumes in the evening. Valentines Day is historically very full (gee I wonder why). Super Bowl time is also reportedly a lot of fun. No time is a bad time.

Check out the boards here for when groups are going They can be a lot of fun as long as the temperament of the group matches yours. You can ask around this forum. In general, whenever you choose, you’ll have a blast.

BTW our first adventure to DRM nine years ago, started with a simple question from my then girlfriend (now my wife): “Would you ever consider going to a topless beach?” The answer from me after a lot of research was: “Yes, but would ever consider a place like Desire?” Her very quick answer was,”Hell yes!!!” with a huge smile. The rest is history....very excellent history
raleightraveler
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 06 May 2017

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya