Desire Passion Suites....and tipping

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Desire Passion Suites....and tipping

Postby JamesKelli » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:49 am

Our first visit is in September. We reserved a passion suite.

WE are both excited but not sure what to expect. Curious about how much cash to bring for 8 nights for tipping. Who all do we tip and what’s customary? Any help is appreciated. Also any help for first timers is also appreciated.
JamesKelli
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 20 Sep 2018

Re: Desire Passion Suites....and tipping

Postby TandD » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

Are you asking about tipping specifically in regards to renting a Passion Suite? I'm not really clear why you mentioned that but regardless...

Search the forum for "tipping" and be prepared to be overwhelmed by differing opinions.

Some feel tipping is not required at an AI resort but I think the majority do tip. The tougher question is to whom and how much.

FWIW, here's what we do (roughly)

$5/day for housekeeping
$10/day for the pool guys to get a lounger
$2/breakfast
$5 for a "bar session" which equates to a couple of drinks. Move to a new bar, another five - roughly
$5/dinner
A couple of bucks for the guys who bring your bags to the room.

We don't tip the entertainment staff. I'm kind of conflicted on that because I think they do a great job. It just feels different to me and it would feel awkward handing them money - I don't know why.

That's my input - please deposit 2 cents.
TandD
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby werfun » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

As a general rule we tip daily and the following is our guidelines.
$5.00 for maid
$5.00 for breakfast
$20.00 for the bar
$5.00 for lunch
$10.00 dinner
$5.00 disco
$5.00 bell person ( bags to room)
On our last trip we even tipped the desk check in person $5.00 as I was told by several people that it can make a difference in the room you get. I can't be sure of that.
On the day we check out we go to see the et staff and tip them what we think is a fair amount for what they did why we were there, there is no set amount for this.
As you can see we are not shy about tipping.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby JamesKelli » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm

What about butler?
JamesKelli
Desire Convert

Postby desireaddict » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 am

After numerous trips, we just began tipping the entertainment crew on the past couple of trips because most of them do an incredible job, and it is extremely difficult to try and get us lazy beach bums motivated and off our @$$ to get involved in the activities, and judging by the turnover, I don’t think they are paid all that well. I think the service that they provide to us guests is every bit as important to the experience we enjoy as is that of the bartenders, waiters, and housekeepers. We have seen many great entertainment staff members come and go through the years. I would like to see them compensated well enough that they never want to leave to work anywhere else just because they need to make more money.

JMHO
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby werfun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 pm

We don't stay in a room that has a butler as we would rather go to Desire for two trips as for the rate of a room that comes with a butler. On our first trip to Desire in 2018 we stayed in a Passion Suite as it was our first vacation in 10 years. We were hardly in the room except to sleep so now on we book in lower price rooms and go more often.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby JamesKelli » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Well hes coming off a deployment so we thought we would splurge a little. Especially since its our first time...
JamesKelli
Desire Convert

Postby rohshambo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:00 pm

The minimum wage in Mexico is just over $5 A DAY! The average wage is under $2.50 an hour. These people depend on tips to rise out of poverty ( much like waiters in the US ). We are fortunate enough to be able to afford to go to a place like Desire where one day costs what these people make in a month. Be generous to everybody.
Never tip less than 20% unless the service is rude. This is a rule we use as we travel all over Southern Mexico. We've been on the road here since the 5th of June and you'd be surprised what a good tip will get you. If you respect the people they are more likely to open up to you and enhance your visit.
In an all inclusive the staff is not much better off. They regard these jobs as an opportunity to finally make some money. Don't disappoint them and they will become your friends.
Think what $5 will get you at home and then think what a difference it could make in somebody's life in Mexico. We arrive at Desire on our 9th day traveling across the Yucatan this year. The people here are wonderful. The entertainment staff probably has one of the hardest jobs at the resort. Day after day they work to make your stay fun. They have to try and involve everybody regardless of their disposition. It's no wonder they have turnover. Some of our best friends down here used to be the entertainment staff at ABR. It's really easy to get burned out trying to make everybody happy every day.
Sorry for long winded diatribe but it needs to be put in perspective. We are in their country. They are trying to make our vacations outstanding. Tip them appropriately. Poor people don't stay at Desire.
If you can help someone and their family by being generous, please do so. See you there later this week. I'll be the old guy with a white beard and a beautiful wife. Thanks
Neal and Pam
Pam & Neal
kik: 2sunlovers
SLS: 2desiresunlovers
rohshambo
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 12 Oct 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby pickingarb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 am

Be sure to thank him for his service! The daily tip rates a few have mentioned seem pretty typical. There's usually 2 butlers for the room, split shifts. We usually tip each one $200. We've also given them various gifts like speakers or sun glasses.
pickingarb
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 28 Jun 2017

Postby TandD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:33 pm

pickingarb wrote:Be sure to thank him for his service! The daily tip rates a few have mentioned seem pretty typical. There's usually 2 butlers for the room, split shifts. We usually tip each one $200. We've also given them various gifts like speakers or sun glasses.

Gulp.

"Honey, umm, yeah, turns out the rooms with butlers aren't available anymore so we won't be able to get one."

"No, I have no idea why. Strange huh?"
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby wetintally » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 am

Here is my $.02 on this subject. Everyone has different financial situations. We have friends that have to save for two years to be able to take this trip. The people do not expect tip and are irremediably appreciative of what ever you give them. In addition to cash we bring candy, coloring books, toys for children bath soaps and shampoos. Also be sure to leave you sun tan lotion to the entertainment staff. They are out in the sun all day long and go through a lot of it.
wetintally
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 11 Jun 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya