No long pants for the guys anymore?

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

No long pants for the guys anymore?

Postby missb0308 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:29 pm

We thought we read somewhere that the men are no longer required to wear long pants in the restaurants. We really hope this is the case, as it's so warm that poor Dave sits there miserable!

Can anyone verify?

TIA
missb0308
Desire Fan

Postby miranda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I don't know if it's enforced or not but we just returned and didn't see any men wearing shorts to the a la cartes. They do have air conditioning that works very well so there really isn't any need to be too warm in them.
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby tikitorch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 am

When we were there this fall they told us long pants are no longer a requirement. I had one pair and several nice pairs of shorts.
tikitorch
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:46 am

I think, to be safe, unless you see a change announced either on the Desire site or here in the News from Desire section that you should take a couple of pair of light long pants (such as Dockers, etc)
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby tout.prest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:02 pm

We were there last week and didn't see any men wearing shorts to Piacere or Suki. I think one guy wore them to the dinner buffet, but thats it.

I, for one, hope that the policy hasn't changed. I've said it before, but when the ladies put as much effort into the clothing as they do, cant the guys "suck it up" for an hour or 2 and look their best as well ? :roll:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby rentman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:02 pm

We too were there last week and thankfully all the guys were wearing long pants. I have to agree with the other posts that are in favor of the guys dressing up. The women put so much time and effort into looking fantastic, would it kill you to put on a pair of long pants. The one thing that seperates Desire from other "adult" resorts is it is a little more classy. Please keep it that way.
rentman
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Postby vabells » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:02 pm

we were there last week also,i agree with steve, i like to dress nice for my wife also. steve
vabells
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 18 Jun 2016

Postby missb0308 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Trust me, Dave loves to dress nice. He only owns two pair of jeans and 99% of the time when we are simply going out for dinner/drinks he wears dress pants.

The last time we were there was in late July, and he was melting! I'm sure January won't be as warm for him.

Thanks for all of the replies! We will be packing the pants for him.
missb0308
Desire Fan

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:56 pm

We have been to Desire 8 times......all times of the year...Wearing long pants isn't an issue...Hot is hot, whether in shorts or pants I suck it up. The air conditioning is fine in the restaurants except for a couple of nights where it wasn't working...oh well. I agree with the other posts keeping the dress code helps keep the resort more "upscale". If they start allowing shorts, then some people will then push the issue...next will be tank tops, etc.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby mfay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:56 pm

It seems to me that over our 16 Desire visits the enforcement of this policy has varied widely. Often it seemed to depend on who the restaurant captain was at the time or who the food/beverage manager was. But also there always seems to much less enforcement when there are large groups there. At times we have have seen longer "dress" shorts be ok'd, and often the below the knee tropic pants are ok but other times not.
I guess we don't really have a problem with that inconsistency. That is better than changing the rule altogether. As was mentioned above, we would hate to see Desire regress and lose that upscale feel and class that puts it a cut above Hedo. In fact I guess you could say we feel the same way about a lot of the issues that come up here in the forum. We aren't always happy with everything at Desire, prices and certain policies are not always what we would like, but whatever changes are made- whether we are talking about long pants or lower prices- we would not ever be in favor of reducing the service level or the more upscale feel of Desire.
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby asd1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Glad to see most people are in favour of keeping long pants. It is rather ridiculous to see a lady beautifully dressed and her man wearing his finest Harley or Nascar t-shirt with a pair of shorts. On the other hand, I have to ask why the ladies allow their men to dress like this?
asd1
Desire Convert

Postby miranda » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:48 am

I'm all for long pants for men, especially since most of the women do dress up - but not all dress up with "class" and, as mfay posted, this resort has an upscale feel and class - but from what some of female clients were wearing, it was anything but.

I don't mean to judge anyone, I have no problem with nudity (there's a time and a place) and I'm all for wearing what you feel comfortable and sexy in but ... Gosh, I wish I had had my camera just to show you what I'm remember what I saw. :oops:

And this was at dinner at the a la cartes.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby LabandNan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:13 pm

We just got back from Desire on Sunday and you are correct, long pants are no longer required in any of the restaurants. However we only witnessed a couple of men wearing shorts in Il Piacere but there were several in Suki. We did not attend the other restaurant (were there 7 nights and spent 4 in Il Piacere, 2 in Suki and 1 via room service) so I cannot speak to how popular shorts were there.
LabandNan

Please lets keep the dress code.....

Postby crystalenjoyment » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

One thing that was so nice about desire was that we were able to eat at restaurants where the women tried to look their best and the guys for the most part did as well. One of our pet peeves is going to a nice (vanilla)restaurant and seeing guys wearing their baseball caps inside. You expect that at from the Wal-Mart type of crowd you get at McDonalds or Old Country Buffet. But more and more the standard of civility keeps eroding. Guys take note, its still impolite to wear you hat inside a building or restaurant! I dont care how big a Dale Ernhardt fan you are. :wink:

There is a very fine line between classy and trashy. If desire loosens thier dress codes for the restaurants some folks will surely pole vault over that line. A big part of the Desire experience is the very sexy but also classy atmosphere.

There is no one I know that will melt if they have to wear long pants to dinner.
crystalenjoyment

Postby CokeMann » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 pm

LabandNan - depending on the week and the group that is there at the time some of the general rules get "bent"

Just to clarify the "official Desire policy" is still that gentlemen are required to wear long pants in the specialty restaurants

So unless you see a change announced either on the Desire site or here in the News from Desire section that you should take a couple of pair of light long pants (such as Dockers, etc)
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya