Place to stop on way to DRM

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Place to stop on way to DRM

Postby funfun11 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I am looking for a place to stop where I can get wine and some diet sierra mist as well as a few other essentials. Is there a good place on the way to DRM to get that stuff? I am booking transportation through USA Transfers, using the forum link, but am wondering if we are gonna need to pay extra for stopping, which I am perfectly ok with.

TIA
funfun11

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Feb 2017

Re: Place to stop on way to DRM

Postby CokeMann » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:39 pm

For the best selection of Items, the Cancun Walmart is the usual recommendation by USATransers this requires a detour north of the airport to get to - yes, it's a bit extra($) but the Walmart run is out of the way if you are headed to either of the Desire properties from the airport.

The alternate is the Puerto Morelos Chedraui(supermarket) located right off the main highway about 3 min south of the turnoff for Desire RM - they have a reasonable(if limited selection).
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby honeybee » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm

You can shop the duty free store in Cancun after clearing immigration but before you clear customs. The diet sierra mist will be harder to find. You can stop at a gas station convenience store but walmart will have the best chance of being in stock. Just let your transport company know before you arrive and its easy & hassle free.
honeybee
Desire Convert

Postby funfun11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Thank you for the info. The last two times to DRM we were gonna stop to get stuff but my husband always gets Into a conversation with the driver and they both forget and before you know it we are pulling into the road to get back to DRM.
funfun11

Postby CokeMann » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:38 pm

funfun11 wrote:Thank you for the info. The last two times to DRM we were gonna stop to get stuff but my husband always gets Into a conversation with the driver and they both forget and before you know it we are pulling into the road to get back to DRM.

Us too - lol

That's why we often(once we have settled in) just get a taxi to and from the Puerto Morelos Chedraui(supermarket. located right off the main highway about 3 min south of the turnoff for Desire RM) generally just have the taxi diver wait for us while we run in and pick up some essentials
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby TopShelfLV » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:09 am

There is also a convenience store about half the way to RM on the right side of the highway that we always stop at to get sunblock and sparkling water. The driver's have been great and have no problem stopping on the way without issue if I ask. I always treat the driver to a drink or snack ;)
D & S
Kasidie & LL: TopshelfLV
Desire Riviera Maya - Sept. 21-26, 2023
TopShelfLV
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 Sep 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidy LL

Postby funfun11 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 am

Thank you for the info. We are gonna try to stop on the way in and hope for the best.
funfun11

Postby Yeipi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 pm

funfun11 wrote:Thank you for the info. We are gonna try to stop on the way in and hope for the best.

You will be fine. Just tell the guy from USA Transfers at the airport and they will take care of you.

We did that this past Sunday and the driver stopped at the Oxxo before taking the road to DRM.
Yeipi
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 02 Feb 2024

Postby FSM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Yeipi wrote:
funfun11 wrote:Thank you for the info. We are gonna try to stop on the way in and hope for the best.

You will be fine. Just tell the guy from USA Transfers at the airport and they will take care of you.

We did that this past Sunday and the driver stopped at the Oxxo before taking the road to DRM.

Awesome. I need to do this next time. That Walmart trip is annoyingly long.
FSM
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 24 Oct 2018

Postby bxmuelle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Do you happen to remember if the stop at the Oxxo, or another grocery store along the way, definitely had redbull? We would like to stock up on that before hitting the resort, since we've heard the resort seems to be a little 'proud' of their Redbull....
bxmuelle
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 Feb 2019

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya