Alcohol

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Alcohol

Postby Lastmango » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Heading back to RM after a few year absence and wanted to double check if there have been continued possibly tainted alcohol issues? I saw the Mysterious Issues” thread and there do not appear to be any updates?
Lastmango
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 21 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Re: Alcohol

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Nothing that I've seen. We went twice last fall and there were no issues with us or anyone we met. We also brought our own Tequila for room shots and actually ended up drinking mostly that, so... our alcohol wasn't tainted lol, but we did drink from the bar too.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby txcouple13 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:35 am

Lastmango wrote:Heading back to RM after a few year absence and wanted to double check if there have been continued possibly tainted alcohol issues? I saw the Mysterious Issues” thread and there do not appear to be any updates?

We were one of the ones that noticed something from our trip in 2015/2016 but our last two trips we have not noticed anything!
RM- August 2013
RM- September 2015
RM- July 2016
RM- July 2017
RM- August 2018
RM- July 2019
RM- August 2020

Kasidie- txcouple13
txcouple13
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 31 Jul 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby Calicouple69 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 pm

We will echo previous replies, we haven't had any issues.

On another note, we feel pretty certain that most of the "house" or "well" alcohol is fairly watered down. Funny though, we've agreed that it's not such a bad thing for us. To explain, we like many start drinking in the morning when we get in the pool, then throughout the day then into the disco and hot tub, we'll usually have a drink in our hand or close by. Never once have we gotten "drunk", maybe buzzed, but never drunk. A few trips ago we started doing an exchange with a guest from Venezuela. He brings a bottle of his favorite rum, we bring a bottle of wine from our region. So, one mid afternoon in the pool we open the fine rum they gave us, we both sipped a shot to savor it, then made a couple of rum and cokes with it. Halfway through our drinks we looked at each other and said, "oh crap, the pool is spinning, how are these people standing up!" LOL.

We had to quit drinking for the rest of the afternoon. Just for science purposes, we tried it again two days later. Yep, same result........... So we've decided we kinda like Desire's weak drinks :lol:
LifestyleLounge, SLS: norcalicouple69
Calicouple69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: LifestyleLounge S

Postby Explorer79 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Calicouple69 wrote:We will echo previous replies, we haven't had any issues.

On another note, we feel pretty certain that most of the "house" or "well" alcohol is fairly watered down. Funny though, we've agreed that it's not such a bad thing for us. To explain, we like many start drinking in the morning when we get in the pool, then throughout the day then into the disco and hot tub, we'll usually have a drink in our hand or close by. Never once have we gotten "drunk", maybe buzzed, but never drunk. A few trips ago we started doing an exchange with a guest from Venezuela. He brings a bottle of his favorite rum, we bring a bottle of wine from our region. So, one mid afternoon in the pool we open the fine rum they gave us, we both sipped a shot to savor it, then made a couple of rum and cokes with it. Halfway through our drinks we looked at each other and said, "oh crap, the pool is spinning, how are these people standing up!" LOL.

We had to quit drinking for the rest of the afternoon. Just for science purposes, we tried it again two days later. Yep, same result........... So we've decided we kinda like Desire's weak drinks :lol:

Similar experiences for us and we too put on our lab coats and turned to a more scientific method :D

Over a number of trips we had noticed that the shots at Desire don't feel the same as the shots at home - even though we bought the same Don Julio Silver. To set some controls for the experiments we only did shots, no sipping drinks etc..

We've had shots where we watched them open a new bottle, we have no reason to suggest something more nefarious but for sure there is a difference. Our theory, at least in our case is that because we order our shots chilled and that process certainly melts at least some of the ice, thus the shots are watered down as compared to at home (where we just keep the bottle chilled in the freezer, so never any watering down). So at home we are drinking more alcohol in a smaller time window, I'm thinking this is what is responsible for the happy buzz that seems to be far more elusive at Desire.

Last two trips we took our own tequila as a test (Don Julio Silver, same as the resort) and kept it chilled in the room fridge/freezer. Then we'd just have our shots before leaving the room, thus taking Desire liquor totally out of the equation. The result - the room tequila works just like at home which is different than how the Desire tequila works. We did this enough times (room shots vs bar shots) with the same results that we can decide to rule out other factors - simply too many instances with exact results for it just to be coincidental.

Perhaps the effect is different at home vs Desire because of our drinking approach. Generally we have 2-4 shots right out of the gate. With that usually there really isn't much more drinking needed, just a good amount of social lubrication but definitely not getting DRUNK (which would be sure to happen if I just drank all day and that's the last thing I want). When doing Desire shots I think we end up drinking more shots because we don't get to the desired state, so in the end we end up drinking about the same amount but spread out over a longer period of time. The difference here is the rate of alcohol consumed over a given period of time. This seems like it has to potential to lose out on the happy buzz portion of the program and go straight to the alcohol groggy sleepy portion of the program and this is exactly how it has played out for us with resort tequila, basically missing out on the fun buzz and all of the sudden realizing that I don't need any more to drink but I missed the fun part too.

To me something like this is way more plausible than "they are watering down their liquor intentionally, perhaps even at the distributor level". Impossible? no, but if someone is to "blame" for this I started by first looking in the mirror. We changed our approach and got the result we were after. Now, admittedly we are drinking medicinally, but in the end, I don't really care about the mechanics, I just want the intended effect, don't really care what it takes to get there. Resort tequila, room tequila, makes no difference to me. I don't go to Desire FOR the drinks but the result of the drinks certainly assist in the socialization aspects.

As for actually getting DRUNK at Desire, I've never gotten wasted, but a couple of times I have gotten drunker than I would've planned on, like one particular night where I'm pretty sure I had my 4th shot of tequila 4-5 times lol.

There was another night where we went to the hot tub around midnight and stayed until about 1, it was pretty dead. But we weren't ready for the night to end so we went to the lobby bar and figured, well, the night ends here so we might as well remove the constraints and proceeded to start feeling no pain. About 2:30 we were drunk, so of course we said, hey let's walk back up to the hot tub and have another drink there. Of course that's the night were some _late_ night debauchery had started up, and of course this is the night where we get all lit up lol, we were in the hot tub and being invited in but fortunately we were still aware enough to know we had no business getting in the middle of all that because of how drunk we were but not drunk enough to dive in anyway.... drunken' logic...
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby Calicouple69 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Lol explorer, we've had THOSE nights too!

One that lives in infamy was similar. Dinner with a couple we knew and liked (drinks before and during), lobby bar show (more drinks), disco (more drinks), dead hot tub (more drinks), back down to the lobby bar (more drinks). By this time it's been a long quiet evening with not a lot going on sooooooo, we continue to drink knowing we can sleep in in the morning. At around 2:30 or so the couple we had dinner with invited us back to their room. :shock: Huh?! Wait! We weren't "expecting" any action so we were pretty lit. We kindly declined knowing that it wouldn't be nearly as fun being this drunk and tired. We did however offer this caveat, "let's do this tomorrow night, with a plan to get the party started MUCH earlier".
The NEXT night was EPIC ;)
LifestyleLounge, SLS: norcalicouple69
Calicouple69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 19 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: LifestyleLounge S

Postby bxmuelle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Say, with respect to alcohol, do they stock the room fridges at all? I know some of the all inclusive we have been to did this. Or can you get alcohol and drinks to put into your room fridge?
bxmuelle
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 Feb 2019

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya