telephone rates

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

telephone rates

Postby Bryan&Julie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am

Does anyone know how much it costs to call the US from your room. Are there connection fees?, what are the per minute charges?. We have US Cellular for our mobile service but they do not have any coverage options in Mexico. Would it be cheaper to rent a phone instead of using the hotel phone? We leave in 2 weeks, any info prior to depature would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bryan
Bryan&Julie

Postby CokeMann » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:30 am

If you need to keep in phone contact and your current cell phones won't operate in Mexico it is definitely much cheaper to rent a cell phone while there than paying the connect fees + long distance charges from your Desire room phone.

Here is a link to probably the cheapest and one of the most reliable cell phone rental places in Cancun
CancunValet http://www.cancunvalet.com/?p=p_3&sName=cell-phone-rental

They can also provide airport to Desire transfer services and if you go that route, their driver will provide you with the rental phone when they pick you up at the airport.
Please use the forum links to book directly with Desire RM, Desire Pearl or the Desire Cruises.
This will help keep the forums economically self sustaining and Ad free for all to use.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby campbel_sue » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 pm

yeah, you can rent a cell phone with us number, even... i know cause i friend of mine did a couple months ago, dont use the hotel phone, it will be more expensive, also, if people needs to get in touch with you, they have to wait for you to get the messages, you can try either rent a phone, or phonerentalusa.com, i belive thats the one my friend used... good luck!
campbel_sue

Postby Bryan&Julie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. We will look into the rental option. I emailed the hotel and they said it was 20 pesos (aprox. $1.50) per minute but they didn't answer my question about any connection fees besides the per minute charge. Probably $2.00-3.00 per call.
Bryan
Bryan&Julie

Postby Island Dreamer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Another option may be if you have a family member or friend (with Verizon) that would loan or trade phones with you for the trip and just pay them for any charges incurred. We had good service in August, made several calls to the states and our bill was reasonable and detailed, but didn't disclose location. Just a thought!
Island Dreamer
Desire Fan

Postby tikihutguy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Or buy a Majic Jack for $39 (a year) hook it up to a laptop and call back for free....
:D
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby swspice » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 pm

We are going in March and wonder how the wireless internet works at the resort. Can you use internet it in your room? If so will Skype work? How about Sprint cell service? Thanks in advance...
swspice
Desire Lover

Postby mfay » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 am

There is a thread here in the forum in the FAQS section about the wireless internet you should read. Basically, yes the wireless internet does work from most of the rooms. However, it can be VERY slow at times. I would have to think that would be a problem in using magic jack or skype. Renting a cell phone from Cancun Valet or using a Verizon phone with the international calling plan enabled for the week are going to be much better options.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby tout.prest » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am

Mike has a very valid point. We always use the net to communicate with our kids at home via e-mail, but the service is "spotty" at best. I would usually go grab a cappucino at the lobby bar in the morning (While my wife slept in) and take my netbook down with me. Sometimes there is a decent signal and sometimes not , but do not Count on it to work or you may be left hanging.

Even at its fastest speed, the wi-fi is like a 56K modem :roll:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya