2010 Rates BIG Increase

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

2010 Rates BIG Increase

Postby Darcy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 am

We just got a email notice from Desire about the upcoming "specials". HOLY S... the off season rates for June went up from $344 to $430 per night Garden View room!!! We were going to book earlier, but figured we would just wait for their off season "specials" to be announced. Now we are questioning if we will go to Desire. This is really sad. :cry:
Darcy
Desire Fan

Postby mfay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 am

Darcy- are you sure about that ? That $430 is the standard rate- just as it was for the same period in 2009.
But I believe the "specials" are still in effect for June. As of a week ago , there were specials available for almost the whole year of 2010 for garden view rooms with various booking deadlines stretching out for several months. Just as a quick confirmation I just checked one travel agencie's site and got a quote for 7 nights starting 6-19-10- and the price was $344 per night .
I see that Desire is no longer showing the special on their website and the e-mail may not have shown them, but that may be just because they are in the process of remaking the site. If I were you I would request a quote from a couple different sources and I think you'll find that same $344 rate.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby mfay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 am

p.s. Darcy- I just noticed on a recent e-mail from a TA that the early booking deadline for the May-July time period special rates ended yesterday- 1-11-2010 !!
If I were you I would get on the phone today to one of the travel agents who does a lot of business with Desire. I have seen it happen before- they will almost certainly be able to get you the special today even though it is past the official deadline. As I said the site I checked this morning is still even quoting the special rate for the period.

Good lesson here for everyone. The early booking deadlines to get the special garden view rates do vary greatly. For some time periods you can book as late as 90 days before the trip and still get the special. For other periods, like this one, you have to book 6-7 months in advance. The TA's all have lists of when these deadlines are.
Mike
mfay

Booking Deadline

Postby Darcy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 am

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply and you are so right. I just missed the booking deadline. I usually book far in advance and did not even think about the off-season summer rate being pulled. I am following your advise and awaiting a reply. Hopefully it will work out OK. Thank you again 8) Darcy
Darcy
Desire Fan

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 am

It truely is sad the way the rates have sky rocketed. When we first started going to Desire we paid $235/nt for an ocean front Jacuzzi suite...for NEW YEARS!. Now the rates for that same room have more than tripled. The sad thing is that Desire has a monopoly on this Unique type of resort ( couples only, clothing optional, lifestyle friendly) and they continue to raise the prices.
We are really rethinking about taking our semi annual trips. The thing that bugs us is that they are having the same issues now as they did when we were paying much less (pool heater not working, no hot water, no electricity in rooms, Air cond. not working, etc...) Plus, they are charging for extras now...reserve a beach bed, $5 for room service, etc. When will it end....who knows. It is a special place for us and we have had many special times, but at what cost now????
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby mfay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 am

Hope it works out for you Darcy !
Mike
mfay

Postby miranda » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Those rates just changed over night! I had just checked them last night before I went to bed. Is there something we don't know about? Maybe a "glitch" in the system? I just don't get it. :cry:
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby mfay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:01 pm

There really has been NO rate change. The rack rates are exactly the same as they were in 2009 for all of 2010. As I mentioned above, there are specials on garden view rooms for most of the year- "if" you book early(deadlines vary). Just like in 2009. In 2009 there were also some free night promos- buy 4 get 1 free and etc- for certain periods after the swine flu scare. Those free night deals have not (yet) been offered for 2010 but who knows.
We did notice too that Desire's website is not currently showing the early booking specials and deadline dates like it did before- possibly because they are working on/changing the site right now. But the travel agents say the early booking specials are still in effect and they have the dealine schedules.
Mike
mfay

Postby oldseadog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

There ARE some promos for 2010.
We go next week on the "every third night free" promo.
I suspect that there will be plenty of these in coming months.
Also few months ago I approached the resort for a private discount and was offered one, though it wasn't as good as the 3 for 2, so maybe it's worth just asking.
( And no, I don't understand why I was offered a smaller discount than the one the resort web site was offering at the same time.)
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby mfay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Oldseadog- right you are- I'd forgotten about the January 3rd night promo (probably because we feel sooooo bad about not being able to take advantage of it!)
Unless the economy picks up more than expected, I'd guess you are right that these free night deals might resurface later on- expecially for the traditionally slow august/September time period. That is why we will probably keep an eye on the deadline for the early booking discount and wait to book our September trip as long as we can..............
Mike
mfay

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya