Sargassum Barrier Installed

This is the place for general questions / general discussion about Desire Riviera Maya

Sargassum Barrier Installed

Postby texascouple1208 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am

We just got back from RM and there have been some positive developments on the beach there. First they have installed a floating barrier about 30 yards off shore to help control the sargassum. According to CC it was installed about 2 weeks ago. They are also bringing in sand for the beach. For most of our trip, the beach/water was as pretty as we have seen it since we started visiting in April 2017. Particularly, the first couple of days the water was a pretty blue and crystal clear. The barrier is not 100% effective. Our last day, the sargassum came in heavy, but nothing like the empty stretch of beach north of the resort.

Apparently, it is a trial and if successful, they may install one at Pearl as well.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Re: Sargassum Barrier Installed

Postby TwoBeachLovers » Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm

That's great news!! Hope it is successful.

I found a web site that reviews satellite images and looks for large patches of the sargassum and tracks them. They are indicating not as much so far this season. If anyone wants to follow:

http://seas-forecast.com/
kik TwoBeachLoversTX
TwoBeachLovers
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 19 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby rdhdbarbie » Wed May 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Hopefully this won't have an impact on the sea turtles! We have actually seen nests on DRM's beach and the turtles even hatched during our stay too! (We missed the hatching unfortunately.)
rdhdbarbie
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 01 May 2023

Postby ContentTwo » Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Have they already started bringing in sand? Or is this something slated to be done in the future?

Both efforts needed to be done, but I’m most optimistic about the beach replenishment.
ContentTwo
Desire Lover

Postby NewToItAll » Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Thank you for update. I was coming here just to ask that exact question
RM - June 8 - 12, 2019
RM - Oct 9 - 14, 2019
Pearl - Oct 5 - 10, 2020

SLS - BANDL258
SDC - BANDL258
NewToItAll
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 08 Jun 2019

Postby marklu » Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 am

Here is an article from Mexico News Today, it is not good news regarding the seaweed:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sargas ... -349487641
marklu
Desire Devotee

We are from: Mexico
We arrive on: 15 Aug 2021

Postby desireaddict » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am

marklu wrote:Here is an article from Mexico News Today, it is not good news regarding the seaweed:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sargas ... -349487641

It would appear that politicians are ineffective the world over.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby texascouple1208 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:25 am

ContentTwo wrote:Have they already started bringing in sand? Or is this something slated to be done in the future?

Both efforts needed to be done, but I’m most optimistic about the beach replenishment.

It looked like they have already started. We saw workers bringing in bags of sand a couple of days and on our last day they were installing what appeared to be a pump and hose system to dredge sand from further out and return it to the beach. Not my area of expertise, but an educated guess. Also, I do not know if it is just a natural ebb, but the beach was already much deeper (wider?) than when we visited in November. In November, the water was basically up to the beach beds and last week, there was plenty of beach between the beach beds/loungers and the water.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby ContentTwo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am

texascouple1208 wrote:It looked like they have already started. We saw workers bringing in bags of sand a couple of days and on our last day they were installing what appeared to be a pump and hose system to dredge sand from further out and return it to the beach. Not my area of expertise, but an educated guess. Also, I do not know if it is just a natural ebb, but the beach was already much deeper (wider?) than when we visited in November. In November, the water was basically up to the beach beds and last week, there was plenty of beach between the beach beds/loungers and the water.

That is encouraging. I remember how narrow the beach was in November, and I was surprised that they hadn't taken any steps to replenish the beach. The north end of the beach was shockingly narrow. One of the reasons we stayed on the south end of the beach was the distance from the beds to the waterline. On the south end, we at least had a few beach chairs as a buffer between us and the gawkers and peddlers. Even that wasn't much, but at least it was something. There was none of that on the north end.

If they replenish the beach by bringing in sand in bags, I would be amazed. Hell, I would be impressed! I've seen it done with a dredge/pump and by truckloads. I'm not a construction guy but it seems like a very big job. I can't imagine how they could do it by bags, no matter how big the bags are. I hope some of the more recent guests can give updates about how they're going about it.

We're excited to check it out in October!
ContentTwo
Desire Lover

Postby JandH » Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 am

I've never seen the problem this bad. Looks like it's piled up about head high and ten feet deep at akumal.

https://www.locogringo.com/akumal-beach-webcam/
JandH
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 11 Nov 2019

Postby red88vette » Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

I always use earthcam.com. Plug in Puerto Morales and look for Casa Toucan. Its near town center. They have a live feed, its pretty clear. The sargassum does not look too bad. Seen it much worse.
2022-Aug, Oct, Dec,
Total-30
red88vette
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 15 Oct 2022

Postby NaughtyKittenandB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 am

We just returned from RM and the barrier was indeed doing its job. The beach and water were night and day different than they were on our last trip in January.
Bryan & Kelli
SZC, SLS: BandK6766
FetLife: NaughtyKitnandB
NaughtyKittenandB
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 16 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SZC and SLS

Postby motcple » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Looking for updates on this subject. Trying to plan a trip for October but don’t want a nasty smelly mess if it can be avoided.
motcple
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 02 Oct 2019

Postby parejacontenta » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:26 pm

We're going next week. Any news?
parejacontenta
Desire Convert

We are from: Venezuela
We arrive on: 01 Mar 2015

Postby Happycouple71 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:51 am

When we were there last week July21-25th beach and water were great! Very clean and clear. Very enjoyable to swim naked in!! :D
Happycouple71

We arrive on: 21 Jul 2019

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Riviera Maya