Hedo3 - Desire Comparison

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Hedo3 - Desire Comparison

Postby louden77 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Below is a report I have posted on DennyP and Trip advisor. I know this is primarily a Desire site but as a frequent past visitor to Desire I think that potential guests should have comparitive information on which to make a decision..

Report follows:

Hedo III Trip Report

About Ourselves
Louise and I are a sixties couple who have extensive experience at Desire Cancun and other clothing optional properties. We spent our honeymoon at Hedo II thirty years ago and returned twice during the subsequent two years. Because of several poor experiences we opted not to return to Jamaica. Chief among these was a feeling of being unwelcome and a total indifference by the staff. More of this later.

Travel down.

We departed Ottawa Thursday, 14 August for a 7 day visit. We left at 7:00AM for Toronto then on to Mo Bay on Air Canada flights. We arrived in Mo-bay about 1:00PM local.

Unfortunately, several other aircraft arrived at about the same time. It took us 2:25 hours to clear immigration and customs. Worst arrival I have ever experienced. The hall was hot, the line endless and the procedures inefficient. One lady fainted in line, was injured and removed by ambulance. Fortunately our bags were waiting for us in a corner of the Customs hall. There was essentially no delay in Customs. Once through this torture we reported to the Superclubs desk and were told a bus was about to leave. A full minibus and one stop at Breezes and we were at Hedo about 1:35 hours later (traffic and a slow bus).

I believe “Superclubsâ€
louden77

Postby mfay » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Dennis,
Thanks for both your Hedo/Desire comparison reports. For us,
both your reports and what we have heard from others recently reinforces
our view that the things that led us to Drop hedo after 5 visits and spent
13 visits at Desire really haven't changed much at all.
If, as you say, the service was roughly the same between the two then that is definately a huge improvement from the past at Hedo. But the same old issues with general cleanliness and maintainence, the prude side/nude side issues, the single guy problem, etc apparently all remain.
Most everyone would have to agree that the activities and entertainment overall - even with the return of water sports at Desire around
July 12th- are much better at Hedo. But For us those things pale as deciding factors against Desire's strengths, and we have always found that a good group of people at Desire can always come up with their own "entertainment". The unmatched sensuous and intimate Desire atmosphere. The classy feel. Excellent food. Always great service. No singles. No prude side singles sneaking down for a peek and no learing wally's playing with themselves while they watch others in action.
Certainly Desire has issues from time to time. And people tend to hold Desire to a higher standard because they have been so good and so responsive to complaints in the past. But from our experience we know that
Desire does address the issues and they are constantly upgrading the facilities. Sometimes things just don't happen soon enough for some.
So for us- there is no debate- we wouldn't think of returning to Hedo instead of Desire. But to each his own. Obviously both have strengths and based on different ideas of what is most important both will continue to be successful attracting visitors.

Mike
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby louden77 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:25 pm

mwfay wrote:Dennis,
Thanks for both your Hedo/Desire comparison reports. For us,
both your reports and what we have heard from others recently reinforces
our view that the things that led us to Drop hedo after 5 visits and spent
13 visits at Desire really haven't changed much at all.
If, as you say, the service was roughly the same between the two then that is definately a huge improvement from the past at Hedo. But the same old issues with general cleanliness and maintainence, the prude side/nude side issues, the single guy problem, etc apparently all remain.
Most everyone would have to agree that the activities and entertainment overall - even with the return of water sports at Desire around
July 12th- are much better at Hedo. But For us those things pale as deciding factors against Desire's strengths, and we have always found that a good group of people at Desire can always come up with their own "entertainment". The unmatched sensuous and intimate Desire atmosphere. The classy feel. Excellent food. Always great service. No singles. No prude side singles sneaking down for a peek and no learing wally's playing with themselves while they watch others in action.
Certainly Desire has issues from time to time. And people tend to hold Desire to a higher standard because they have been so good and so responsive to complaints in the past. But from our experience we know that
Desire does address the issues and they are constantly upgrading the facilities. Sometimes things just don't happen soon enough for some.
So for us- there is no debate- we wouldn't think of returning to Hedo instead of Desire. But to each his own. Obviously both have strengths and based on different ideas of what is most important both will continue to be successful attracting visitors.

Mike
Hi Mike:

Thanks for your comments.

However, I must clarify a couple of points. Hedo's cleanliness is as good as Desire's. There is a problem with simple maintenance of the property. I think the presence of Security has greatly reduced the presence of "prudes" in the nude area. The number of single males and females was fairly close so there were not many instances of single guys "lurking" around. I would suggest that Desire has never addressed the issue of poor music selection and it took them over two years to bring back the water sports. Hedo's air conditioned disco and piano bar are big pluses. Also the "rack" rate for Hedo is somewhat lower than Desire.

What we really need is a new resort built around the Desire principle in Cancun but with the Hedo facilities. Maybe take over Excellence!

Dennnis
louden77

Postby Yankeefan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:13 pm

as was mentioned in previous posts, the Desire Disco is in absolute shambles. The stench, the seating, the lack of dance floor and of course the horrendous music are all intolerable and unacceptable. it needs to be torn down and redone but as we all know, 5 years later, it aint happening.

the nightlife at Desire needs to be revamped and quickly.

anyone disagree?

YF
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby mfay » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:13 pm

If Hedo'd overall cleanliness is now equal to Desire than they have indeed come a long way. I do agree with the music selection problem- at least over the past year and a half or so. Its such an easy thing to correct ! Once again we have assurrances that this time (in 2 weeks when we next arrive) that it will be better. We'll see !
The problem with the water sports was complicated. The hurricane damage to the reef closed the area to watersports for everyone for a while. Yes Desire was the last to get permission to resume, but that wasn't because they didn't ask and keep asking. Unfortunately the government officials involved in granting permission apparently didn't believe that those "crazy sex starved naked people" at Desire really cared about water sports anyway
and any way to keep them all contained and out of site to keep down complaints from the public was a good thing. Thats the same reason permission was never granted to rebuild the pier. But finally the letter writing/petition compaign convinced the government people that some Desire guests- and their money- would stay away unless water sports were allowed to resume did the trick.
Desire is still a relatively young resort and more changes and improvements are on the drawing boards. But regardless of what happens with those it still just comes down to your individual priorities. Both Hedo and Desire will continue to be popular doing what each does best. And if there wasn't a Desire- I'd still be going to Hedo thinking it was the greatest place in the world. But since there IS Desire......................

Mike
p.s.- for Yankeefan- Our last trip was last May and before that January. We've never noticed a smell problem in the disco and I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as seating. But we'll be sure and check that out in a couple weeks. We agree the dance floor is a little small, but we have spent many fantastic evenings there when it is full. We've always found it to be a fantastic erotic atmosphere. The more packed it is the better !
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Just came back from Desire!

Postby randyandmissy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:58 pm

We just came back from 5 nights at Desire. People as usual were wonderful!!

The disco was disgusting!!!!!The mold problem was out of control. We had several members of our group that could not step foot in the disco. The night the owners came, we{the customers} had to wait until almost midnight for the owners to finish their nice meal next to the pool before the disco opened. It was almost laughable to see all the workers with their incense trying to get the mold stench out of the disco. The music was horrible , that last night I counted twelve latin or spanish songs in a row. The disco needs to be trashed and updated! By the way, the new Secrets down the beach is beautiful!! Man if we could get that type resort to get Desire type atmosphere the placed would be packed!!!!
randyandmissy
Desire Fan

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 am

WOW!! I'm impressed. Just checked out the Secrets resort out in Cancun. Looks 1st class. Check out the Mexican Mariachi singers
at the bar and the dress of the guests. Picture #25. Adults only but NO C/O. Therefore, NO GO. No beach beds. No YNOT's. No Poor Russell, Big Mike, Newer Mike, The Great Swami, Big Daddy and Denver and the other crazies. No Ron & Nicole. Maybe someday there will be an alternative in Cancun but not right now.
Ron
Desire Devotee

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya