Can you social distance? RM trip August 11-16th, 2020

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Can you social distance? RM trip August 11-16th, 2020

Postby Eroticdesires » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Our trip to Desire Riviera Maya during the Covid Pandemic was probably not the safest vacation choice. Any other resort in my experience is far less social and interactive than a Desire Property. As a precaution before our trip, we did take a covid test to make sure we were negative and maintained the strict shelter in place directives in our area. We understood the risks for catching it ourselves, however, we wanted to minimize the chance to be spreaders.

At 30% capacity, practicing social distancing is not a problem at Desire RM. Our strategy for the week was to stay outdoors with social distancing whenever possible. Dining outdoors, using room service and avoiding busy dining times if we were eating indoors. We also planned to spend more time at night in the lobby bar area and jacuzzi lounge after dinner. We would probably visit the disco only briefly each night to cool off.

As for close interactions with others, we would probably have to decide the risks as we faced them. The most temptation we would likely encounter is limiting social interactions with others. In a typical non pandemic week, we probably meet at least 10 couples and probably have close physical contact with 3-4 couples :bj .

We did try wearing masks when interacting with the staff as an extra precaution for their safety. Unfortunately, after feeling the heat and humidity on the first day, we quickly gave that up after the first few hours, but continued to practice social distancing. As far as guests wearing masks, we don’t think we saw any guests wearing masks at the resort. Perhaps for briefs moments at arrival as we did during the check in process. By the time we had our first drink, we did not reach for our masks until we were leaving for the airport.

Please note that the spa lockers are currently not available to use for early check ins. They will allow you to change in the luggage room/bathrooms if your room is not ready when you arrive so make sure you have easy access to what you need to enjoy naked vacation upon arrival (sunblock/cover up). The steam room and dry sauna is also currently closed.

It’s always a challenge surviving the first day of naked all you can drink vacation, especially if your your body needs to acclimate to the humidity and heat. We were exhausted from our 14 hours of overnight travel so after a day of sun, we ended up napping from 6pm till almost midnight, skipping dinner, lobby show and Jacuzzi/Disco on our first night. We did manage to make it to the lobby bar for late night bacon pizza and tacos.

My typical day starts around 730am with an ice coffee with CC at the lobby bar, I would then go get a green juice to go for my wife at the buffet restaurant and also check in with Alejandro at the pool if I needed a pool bed for the day. Around 9am I would have my bloody mary/caesar (CC makes the best). They had stretch class every other day at the gazebo which my wife would attend at 10:30am. She was the only one at the class and received private sessions. We didn’t use the gym, as reservations were required. My wife did have two massages and chose to do it at the gazebo by the beach.

The buffet restaurant is open until noon for breakfast so we were able to eat there most mornings around 11:30am. There is a mexican breakfast station at the end closer to Sahlo that serves sopes and tostadas and I was able to order chorizo and eggs with tortillas from the omelette station. They can also make huevos rancheros or chilaquiles to order, we love Mexican breakfast!

We usually spend our daytime hours at the beach, but the brownish water was enough to turn us into pool people for the week. The beach bar is also closed so the entire beach was almost empty. We were told that since Mexican beaches are not officially open, they are unable to open the beach bar yet. There wasn’t a lot of seaweed as they work to keep it at bay, but the odor was enough to not want to linger at the beach. The sun was extremely strong so we asked (Alejandro) to place pool umbrellas at the edge of the pool to give us shade. There is ample shade in the swim up bar area, but it was often a bit too crowded there to allow for distancing. We would occasionally stop by the bar to grab a drink, but with Daniel and Afrika on duty, there were seldom thirsty moments at the pool.

August may be the hottest month of the year, we often felt the need to stay in AC or the pool during the day. We loved the ocean breezes on the dry side of the pool bar by the large open doors (windiest in the later afternoon). Other tips for staying cool include, getting a table at night with direct fan access in the lobby (near the square stages/fountains), catching a breeze at the gazebo or anywhere near the ocean at night. Enjoying the AC in the lobby or disco. My usual go to spot on the resort is the ocean facing railing on the dry side of the jacuzzi bar, but the breeze was fairly mediocre this trip, the breeze near the jacuzzi beds was a bit better. I have had some dehydration problems in recent RM trips so staying cool and hydrated is key to surviving the long days and nights of fun.

Suki opens at 6pm and Sahlo opens at 6:30pm (reservations are needed at Sahlo as are long pants and closed toe shoes for men). We had dinner at each restaurant during our stay when they opened. On the nights we dined indoors, we were the only guests in the entire restaurant for most of our meal as we arrived when restaurants opened. We were treated to amazing service and food throughout this trip. I have to note the meal at Suki was definitely the best we have ever eaten there. The scallop and octopus sashimi, and grilled salmon were standouts for us, but everything we ate was delicious (Thank you Chef Mayra and Mario (waiter) for an amazing dining experience).

We did order room service for dinner one night and ate on our balcony. The quesadillas and flank steak were still hot and delicious. We would recommend calling them to clear your dishes after you dine as the racoons will make a mess if you leave the food overnight on your balcony.

Around 930pm, we would go to the lobby and find a nice cool spot. The bands that played most nights were pretty good, although we have probably been a bit starved for live entertainment. The shows were good, but did not stand out as anything we didn’t see before. We did dance a bit at the lobby and around 11pm, we would take a peek into the disco. We usually stayed in the back wall near the bathrooms where the AC is the strongest. One night, we did venture onto the dance floor as we were there with only a few other couples. We also peeked into the playroom a few times which was always empty.

Going to the Jacuzzi lounge is still one of the highlights of our trip. We mostly stayed at the dry side of the bar and the beds. Most late afternoons/early evening we were the only couple using the beds and later around midnight, we always found beds available. Making love on the jacuzzi beds was amazing as always. We usually don’t linger on the beds too long after sex, but there was always empty beds available this trip. There wasn’t a jacuzzi attendant in the area, so please be courteous and clear your own towels after bed use!

Protip: on very hot nights, we would skinny dip in the pool at night to cool off. Security will typically leave you alone as long as you are quiet.

Overall, this was one of our most romantic trips to Desire, spending time at or favorite vacation resort as a couple was worth the risks. We also felt compelled to make sure our favorite staff was well and hopefully our stay and tips will help during this troubling time.
SDC: desirelovers
Kasidie: eroticdesires
Eroticdesires
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 20 Feb 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Re: Can you social distance? RM trip August 11-16th, 2020

Postby Justskin » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Excellent report! Thanks for taking the time, it is appreciated.
We're still booked for 9/15-21 and have been keeping an eye on the situation.

Wife was wondering if they played beach volleyball, she loves her Vball...
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Sep 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Eroticdesires » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:57 pm

Although beach volleyball is on the daily schedule for 11am and 3:30PM, the low occupancy made it difficult to find many players willing to play in the hot sun. Pool volleyball had lots of participation in the afternoon and was often very competitive.
Eroticdesires
Desire Devotee

Postby nickmggs » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:38 am

Great report, thanks. We're scheduled to go in Mid October for our first time. One question, how are the theme nights being done in this awkward social distancing time? We would really appreciate some ideas and feedback. Thanks

N & K
nickmggs

We arrive on: 09 May 2020

Postby Eroticdesires » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:58 pm

There wasn't a lot different about theme nights now vs. pre covid as far as I noticed. Most nights, the band or the DJ will provide music in the lobby bar area. The Playmakers in the theme costumes will engage with guests to chat or dance before the themed show performances (usually scheduled at 930pm if there is a performance).

About half of the guests was dressed to theme during our week in mid August. We weren't there for every theme night so they may still be holding some events in Disco that we didn't see.
Eroticdesires
Desire Devotee

Postby ksfireman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Sorry if I missed it, but did you test negative upon returning? Or no symptoms? Thanks, trying to decide on our November trip.
ksfireman
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 01 Nov 2020

Postby Eroticdesires » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:19 pm

We just completed our 2 week self quarantine and have a covid test scheduled this week.
Eroticdesires
Desire Devotee

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya