Steve & Jo's Trip report 6/11-6/20

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Steve & Jo's Trip report 6/11-6/20

Postby wrn2fn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 am

Ok So i am now awake after getting in from Desire at 145am and just getting off the phone with the Betty Ford Alcohol clinic and i will be there starting next week lol man my liver hurts. I will try and give a brief,not, but informative detail of our trip for you all to drool over or to use as a guide for your upcoming trips

We arrived ahead of schedule on 6/11 and breezed thru customs and went to find our transport waiting for us so in less time then i took us to get thru customs at Newark Airport we were on our way to our HOME. As we arrived we were met by Luis and greeted with a big friendly smile welcoming us "home" and giving us great big hugs, as we were his family. Lobby check in went smooth too but just this year lacked a personal touch. It may have been because we told Miguel to spare us any time share pitch info or pass offs since it was our 8th trip there.

We met our friends and had our first drink within 2 hours of touching down in Mexico. We requested our usual building 2400 block and was put in room 2401. Now our friends that were there stayed in other room for their first night and said they redid 2401 while they were back there and it sure looked and smelled like it but also smelled of bug spray and the air was not working well. Well so what we cranked it up and went to pool the smell would be gone in a few hours and room colder WRONG smell was worse had ants still and air didnt work well at all. Ok we are from Jersey so we would deal w it, but Jo went to room to get something and key didnt work so i gave her mine still didnt work, Ok deal w it after dinner and all. Well after changing keys 3 times after dinner disco hot tub LOTS of ALCOHOL still not working At 230 they had to force door open and change lock cylinder. Well now my Jersey came out and i said change our room in the morning or else were gone. Well in the morning i walked up to desk and they could not bend over backwards enough for us. Totally apologized and said they would change our room for us to a new building, all we needed to do was back our luggage, which we never unpacked, and they would do the rest and find us w the keys. Well that is just what they did and when we got into our new room,1301, a bottle of Champagne greeted us w a note apologizing for the problems we had.

We did find the beach bed thing very annoying to have to get up and reserve a selected amount of chairs every morning but a note at the front desk which we did not see until check says you can reserve the chairs for your stay for a small fee, which i believe you get back at the end. Please dont quote me on that but i think you do but never asked since we were crying since we had to leave.

The staff was great as usual and could not do enough for you at any given time from dinner to breakfast and they way they recall your drinks when you walked up to the bar and had them waiting for you or pouring them when you got there is incredible, maybe i do have a drinking problem. As Bobby said with some persistance with a large group they will take reservations which we had to do several times since we always had at least 8 for dinner sometimes 14 for our meals. The food was GREAT at least in or opinion and after being there on our 8th day on never got tiring as in the past years. They definately improved that area alot. All different dinner theme nights and the food was truly great.

Oh and for repeaters Lazaros and Diana are back as pool entertainment What a great GREAT improvement after last years failure. They are all were great and have a tough job getting people involved and always doing a pool game or activity and ALOT of interacting with the guests.

The improvements at the Disco and play area is AWESOME and no smell lol What a great transformation it became from old to new The shows are incredible, the music still needs to be tweaked abit but it did get better I think they really need to invest in xm or satelite radio lol or download recent hits as well as oldies but not same songs alot of the time.

Now if you truly want a GREAT event book yourself or with your friends a private dinner on the beach gazebo, what a great night. My wife threw me a surprise retirement party with 6 of our friends that were there with us and the service could not have been better and the FOOD OMG what a delite I believe we all had surf and turf and for what she paid with FLOWING bottles of champagne and wine and mixed drinks and SHOTS for what she paid could never be beaten. Again Manuel and his staff did a great job and i thank her and them several times over the rest of my trip.

It seems that they are always working painting cleaning the property EVERY day non stop and it shows in the quality they give.

The rest his history the staple of people that should get and deserve accolades are the Entire staff there.

Other then the two little hiccups, room and beach beds on the first day and a half we once had a great trip.

I hope this LONG email was useful to you and if you need any more info hit me up on my email and i will be more then happy to provide any answers you need

Again Thank You to the entire Desire staff and to all the great old and new friends we made what a GREAT trip
wrn2fn

Postby mfay » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

They really do aim to please don't they ? Glad you had a great trip- and we wish we could have been there !

Just one little thing to clear up any misunderstanding before it starts. The sign you saw about paying to reserve a beach bed is correct. You CAN pay $20 per day or $100 per week to have a reserved bed and not have to get up early to get one. I believe they will allocate up to 15 beds this way. But- unless something has changed in the past 2 weeks-this applies only to BEACH beds. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO POOL LOUNGERS. There has been no pay to reserve system for pool loungers- again unless it is brand new.
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby 2batdesire » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Glad you had a great time. We are going in about 6 weeks and look forward to it.

Have they started building/rebuilding the dock yet?
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby Omahacouple » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 am

Nice to meet you guys! We had the same deal with room keys not working...glad to see it wasn't just us :wink:

Liz and Jerry
Omahacouple
Desire Devotee

Postby FloridaFun » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Great TR! Newbies here...we will be going to Desire for 1st time in 2011 and can't wait...!
FloridaFun
Desire Fan

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya