Late July Report - Fourth Trip

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Late July Report - Fourth Trip

Postby ourfuntrip » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 pm

I wanted to share some thoughts about Desire Cancun after our recent trip, which was #4 in 4 years. There were several changes from past trips, which made things a little different – but mostly all good changes.

Rain
We have attended in the summer before and never had more than some passing rain. This time though, we had 1 ½ days of pouring rain and lots of rain showers. We also had a loss of power, which really sucked. We had just arrived back to our room after the Jacuzzi to shower and had no lights. A little difficult to get clothes on for dinner or comb your hair with no lights. We got some candles in the lobby to at least have light to find some clothes and just as we went to leave our room, the power came back on. I believe it was out for a few hours though because at one point in the Jacuzzi, the bubbles stopped and looking back, we figured that happened when the power went out. The EC’s worked hard to set up different entertainment for the rainy days, but for the day it rained all day, it did kind of suck. We had just arrived, so we didn’t know a lot of people and there just isn’t much to do in the rain but drink or sit and talk….which we did. It rained so hard in the Jacuzzi one afternoon I couldn’t even keep my eyes open. But no one left due to the rain…we powered through.

Pool Chairs
We had no pool chair problems. We usually were out at the pool by 9:30 latest. I don’t think there ever was a time we couldn’t get a chair at all. The biggest problem was shade if you wanted it. By the end of the week, I just couldn’t sit in the sun any more. The humidity is very high this time of year, and after a week of it, I just needed to be out of the sun. The passing rain showers were often a relief for this reason. Just remember not to leave anything valuable, like your cell phone out as you never know when rain might come! If you show up to the pool late morning, you may not get a chair, or you may not get the location you want, but there is a chance you will still get a chair. Again, one of the reasons we love Desire, they invest in the property and listen to the guests. They definitely added chair space.

There are new beds set up behind the lobby bar. I never saw any of them being used any time of day or night.

We did not sit on the beach at all, but it got crowded on hot days.

Jacuzzi
I forgot to put this on my comment card – turn down the heat!!! It was very warm which isn’t great on a hot day. Maybe they want to be sure to kill all the cooties.

Food
The food this trip was “ok” - but we recall it being better. We ate the buffet most nights for the ease and ability to pick and choose what you wanted based on how hungry you were or what you wanted to eat. Suki was great, but we didn’t care for Il Piciere. We had good soup there, but none of the 4 of us dining liked our entrée. Others we spoke to all loved that restaurant. The best option for lunch or dinner is to have the chef prepare something for you at the grill as the food is freshest there.

Service
Service is amazing at Desire. There are so many employees who have been there on previous trips that we remembered, and who are so friendly and nice. The service is so genuine as well. We told the management about our positive interactions, and they really are part of what makes Desire so amazing. Every night at the disco bar, our drinks were made before we ordered them as the staff remembered what we drank and just made them when they saw us.

Atmosphere
We noticed more people clothed at the pool this trip. It seemed that that changed later in the week, so I think it depends on the group that is there. We also felt that the vibe was more relaxed at the beginning of the week than it was at the end…again, due to the changing crowd. The pool and Jacuzzi in general became more boisterous and overall it felt like more of a “party atmosphere” at that time. It stood out to us as in years past, there has definitely been more of a party atmosphere during the whole week of our trips.

We met so many nice people of course. Really it is true that everyone there is so welcoming and friendly.

Themes
Lots of people participated in the theme nights, but mostly just the women. We love the new entertainment they are doing at night now, but there were a few nights where it sucked (sorry, my opinion). The fire dancers are cool, some other dance group that is amazing and the booty shaking contest and lingerie show were fun. I think the rain impacted the evening activities before the disco opened on at least 2 nights.

Disco/Playroom
The new disco! Very nice to see. The new bar is great. Only complaint was the raised dance floor got so crowded, it was hard to dance! Music was ok….The new playroom is nice but there are a few round beds and if they are full then you are out of luck. There are about 6-8? We tried the sex swing one night because we just had to check it out. Didn’t work so well for us but glad we did it.

Overall we had another great trip and will be back for sure again!
:D
ourfuntrip
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Oct 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie LL

Postby miranda » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. I was wondering about the location of those beach beds behind the lobby bar. Doesn't seem like an area where anyone would really use them at any time of the day or night as you mentioned.

Thanks again!
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby ourfuntrip » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:35 pm

It did seem like an odd location and they weren't used as we mentioned. During the day, it would be really hot there in the sun, and at night, they are away from the crowd and any entertainment happening in the lobby area. I think it was an attempt to add more beds around the resort but am not sure why they added them.
ourfuntrip
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Oct 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie LL

Postby mfay » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:14 am

Seems like a strange place in some ways to me too-and I can't see using them during the day this time of year.
BUT- I can see them being very popular in the evenings while the lobby entertainment is going on. There are times you want to be able to talk to people- and there were very few places in the lobby area where you could do that because it was so loud. These should be much quieter but still close enough...........
I can also see them being more popular in the winter months when the beach/pool areas are a little too chilly with the good old Christmas winds.
Mike
mfay

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

lobby beds

Postby ddled » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:50 pm

as to the speculation about the lobby beds-when we were there they were used a lot. We got them going so fast we got to giggling so much we had to stop-great fun and the location was nice if you wanted to be seen.
ddled

Postby miranda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 pm

They may be a nice place to enjoy an early morning "happy cappy" (or two) from the lobby bar while waiting for your partner to wake up.
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby yucafun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 pm

We arrived and left right after all the rains so our time was nice. We also noticed some clothing at the pool but everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves. We loved the food but then we were a little choosy on what we ordered and only noticed that the drinks were weak but then that is usually for the better.

We were confused about the disco and the play room, are the new ones together or did we miss out on the Sin room. We had great fun up at the Jacuzzi though.

One other observation, we noticed a banana outside doors sometimes, any thought to what this means?
yucafun

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya