Report by Desire Noobs 8/28-9/1

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Postby Lee & Kerri » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow. Last year, we stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun (our 1st time to MX) a few miles south of Desire, and I remember being on their beach, looking north towards Desire thinking that it sucked to have clothes on. I was so envious of all of you who were there! (':cry:')

Desire had been on my radar of resorts to visit for the past few years. We've been to Hedo II once, this past May, and Breezes Runaway Bay three times (prior to the makeover when they still had their small nude beach area,) which also allowed us to visit Hedo III each time. As much as I thought we were returning to Jamaica for the love of the beaches, people and culture, it was maybe more for familiarity and comfort from past experiences. My wife and I are in our mid-late 30's and I would categorize us as sensual naturalists/exhibitionists who had only experienced FF play on a few occasions.

Thanks to this website and posting by members I booked our one-way ride with USA Transfers prior to arrival. We ignored the folk on the way to the pickup area (although, they got us last year) and they had us on our way about 5-10 minutes after checking in with them. We asked to stop at the 7-11 outside the airport which they accommodated so that we could pick up some goodies. On our way back, Arcos got us a taxi within 5 minutes. Left about 90 minutes before our departure time and it was a fast 23 minute trip back to the airport. $40 USD plus gratuities for each.

Check-in was a easy and we paid for an OV upgrade to building 16. Think I'll do the express check-in next time to save time from the chit-chat. Thank you again members for telling me about the soft-sell, and I politely declined the invitation to their breakfast and their $100 gift certificate (which I think I remember someone writing that it's actually broken up into 3 to 5 gc's).

Occupancy: During this trip, I believe that the resort was only at 40-50% capacity possibly less. Which is a bonus to us, because we never had a problem with finding a seat anywhere.

Food: Many levels higher than Hedo II. We consider ourselves moderate Foodies and appreciated the presentation and quality. Breakfast was fine, lunch was great, and Suki was really good. Only thing I didn't like at Suki was the wontop soup. It was one wonton in their miso soup. And the wonton isn't a very good one, but being of chinese descent I am a super foodie when it comes to chinese food. But, the miso soup base was very good. Their prawns were seasoned well, and their sashimi was very good. Hint:you can ask for a side ball of wasabi and ginger if you want. We didn't get a chance to try Il Piacere. Overall, we thought the food was great and enjoyed the atmosphere and service of their outdoor dinner events.

Beach:We're beach folk, and not really into reindeer games, so we sat outside our room (very convenient) on the beach beds every day. Apparently, they usually have bed-sheet dividers between the beds, but they were all taken down for our trip for maintenance (or so we were told). We never had a problem getting a beach bed, but we are were always up before 8:30. Don't miss the morning sunrises! Absolutely gorgeous, and make for great silhouette photos. We did some yoga poses in front of the sunrise. Then we had to do some obligatory photos with our clothes on so we could share some with our friends on social networking sites...sheesh... The grass roof beds were the best for sunshade, but if you can't get those, the beds outside building 16 appeared to have the wooden post roofs more densely packed, which allowed more sun relief. Being a narrow beach, the passerby folk come close...a few times, with children. The wife and I joked about the conversation that was going on between the boy and his dad. One thing we disliked about the beach bed area was the presence of these small little gnat-like flies. I don't know if they're sandflies or biting midges or what, but they'd land on you and you would feel a little bite. They were so annoying. Anyone know?
Beach bed service was very good. Thanks Africa! Really, we thought the service was excellent everywhere on the resort.

Room:Major upgrade from Hedo II. Rooms were clean, and we shared a balcony which had a table and four chairs with a room next door. We noticed ants, but they're going to be there. Mini-bar was stocked with coke, diet coke, dos equis and 1L bottled water. Decor of the room was sensual and elegant. Flatscreen tv with two adult channels that we never used. Plenty of mirrors around, except the ceiling. (':)')

Nudity:We have no problems with nudity, so once we were there, the clothes were off. I'd say 75% of people were nude at both beach and pool. 90% nude at jacuzzi.

Lobby Bar:Love the 24hr concept! Thank you for having an espresso machine! Loved the pizza at the wee hrs of the morning after the jacuzzi closes. We had our daily routine of 5pm espresso while checking email on our Blackberrys. Then it was up to the jacuzzi.

Jacuzzi:Every day we were up there around 6pm left around 7:45 dinner, and returned after the disco. We thought the temperature was a wee cooler than our preferences, but it did allow you to sit in there without getting out for a break. Which may have been the intention. Great social place during this time. Never had a problem finding a place to sit. And sorry for those who were by the beds and had to hear my snoring. It was so relaxing, and after travelling that day, I took a nap. We did use the beds for recreational activities after the disco a couple of nights.

Disco:Beautiful night club, with a circular raised (about 12") platform, maybe 10' in diameter and two dance poles. Luckily, I didn't see anyone fall off the dance platform, but I was concerned about the wife doing so in her heels. Music was a spread of genres and had something for everyone. All females were dressed in sexy attire, while the guys ranged from shorts to long pants. Most guys had some sort of collared shirt. And Carlos always remembered what you were drinking. Loved that guy, but I think he loved my wife more...but that's ok. (':lol:')

Playroom:We used it our last night there and didn't realize that the music was off and they had turned off the lights in the room. I guess we were in our own little dreamland. I never saw the Playroom fully packed, but sometimes it's a matter of timing.

Sensuality: Thank you Desire for providing a couples only resort for us and those like us. It makes such a big difference. The resort accomplishes it's goal of catering to a different demographic than the resorts from our past experiences. It succeeds in combining a sensual and romantic atmosphere. We get why many people we met were on their upteenth trip. From the sculptures by the lobby bar, the well decorated and clean swinging beds by the lobby, the beach beds, the jacuzzi area, the disco, the playroom, the decor of the rooms and to the music on the beach (we love listening to our Buddha Bar collection of music, and the music on the beach is similar).

People: Finally, what fun is a resort without some sort of social interaction. It was the first time at a nude resort that we weren't asked if we were nudists or lifestylists...not once. No one seemed to care which category you were in. If they were interested, they'd eventually find out. Almost all were very respectful and fun. You'll always have those one or two that annoys the heck out of you. Age ranged from 20's to 60's, just like others have said. There were probably ten couples under 40, and I would guess the median age was somewhere around 46. We thought that the crowd was much more attractive and height/weight proportional than Hedo.
And to see visually healthy people in their 60's dancing, smiling and having a great time with their significant other, I pointed to them and told my wife of 11 years, "I hope that's going to be us in 30 years." She smiled and replied, "I hope so, too."
Lee & Kerri
Desire Fan

Postby Lee & Kerri » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Wow. Last year, we stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun (our 1st time to MX) a few miles south of Desire, and I remember being on their beach, looking north towards Desire thinking that it sucked to have clothes on. I was so envious of all of you who were there! (':cry:')

Desire had been on my radar of resorts to visit for the past few years. We've been to Hedo II once, this past May, and Breezes Runaway Bay three times (prior to the makeover when they still had their small nude beach area,) which also allowed us to visit Hedo III each time. As much as I thought we were returning to Jamaica for the love of the beaches, people and culture, it was maybe more for familiarity and comfort from past experiences. My wife and I are in our mid-late 30's and I would categorize us as sensual naturalists/exhibitionists who had only experienced FF play on a few occasions.

Thanks to this website and posting by members I booked our one-way ride with USA Transfers prior to arrival. We ignored the folk on the way to the pickup area (although, they got us last year) and they had us on our way about 5-10 minutes after checking in with them. We asked to stop at the 7-11 outside the airport which they accommodated so that we could pick up some goodies. On our way back, Arcos got us a taxi within 5 minutes. Left about 90 minutes before our departure time and it was a fast 23 minute trip back to the airport. $40 USD plus gratuities for each.

Check-in was a easy and we paid for an OV upgrade to building 16. Think I'll do the express check-in next time to save time from the chit-chat. Thank you again members for telling me about the soft-sell, and I politely declined the invitation to their breakfast and their $100 gift certificate (which I think I remember someone writing that it's actually broken up into 3 to 5 gc's).

Occupancy: During this trip, I believe that the resort was only at 40-50% capacity possibly less. Which is a bonus to us, because we never had a problem with finding a seat anywhere.

Food: Many levels higher than Hedo II. We consider ourselves moderate Foodies and appreciated the presentation and quality. Breakfast was fine, lunch was great, and Suki was really good. Only thing I didn't like at Suki was the wontop soup. It was one wonton in their miso soup. And the wonton isn't a very good one, but being of chinese descent I am a super foodie when it comes to chinese food. But, the miso soup base was very good. Their prawns were seasoned well, and their sashimi was very good. Hint:you can ask for a side ball of wasabi and ginger if you want. We didn't get a chance to try Il Piacere. Overall, we thought the food was great and enjoyed the atmosphere and service of their outdoor dinner events.

Beach:We're beach folk, and not really into reindeer games, so we sat outside our room (very convenient) on the beach beds every day. Apparently, they usually have bed-sheet dividers between the beds, but they were all taken down for our trip for maintenance (or so we were told). We never had a problem getting a beach bed, but we are were always up before 8:30. Don't miss the morning sunrises! Absolutely gorgeous, and make for great silhouette photos. We did some yoga poses in front of the sunrise. Then we had to do some obligatory photos with our clothes on so we could share some with our friends on social networking sites...sheesh... The grass roof beds were the best for sunshade, but if you can't get those, the beds outside building 16 appeared to have the wooden post roofs more densely packed, which allowed more sun relief. Being a narrow beach, the passerby folk come close...a few times, with children. The wife and I joked about the conversation that was going on between the boy and his dad. One thing we disliked about the beach bed area was the presence of these small little gnat-like flies. I don't know if they're sandflies or biting midges or what, but they'd land on you and you would feel a little bite. They were so annoying. Anyone know?
Beach bed service was very good. Thanks Africa! Really, we thought the service was excellent everywhere on the resort.

Room:Major upgrade from Hedo II. Rooms were clean, and we shared a balcony which had a table and four chairs with a room next door. We noticed ants, but they're going to be there. Mini-bar was stocked with coke, diet coke, dos equis and 1L bottled water. Decor of the room was sensual and elegant. Flatscreen tv with two adult channels that we never used. Plenty of mirrors around, except the ceiling. (':)')

Nudity:We have no problems with nudity, so once we were there, the clothes were off. I'd say 75% of people were nude at both beach and pool. 90% nude at jacuzzi.

Lobby Bar:Love the 24hr concept! Thank you for having an espresso machine! Loved the pizza at the wee hrs of the morning after the jacuzzi closes. We had our daily routine of 5pm espresso while checking email on our Blackberrys. Then it was up to the jacuzzi.

Jacuzzi:Every day we were up there around 6pm left around 7:45 dinner, and returned after the disco. We thought the temperature was a wee cooler than our preferences, but it did allow you to sit in there without getting out for a break. Which may have been the intention. Great social place during this time. Never had a problem finding a place to sit. And sorry for those who were by the beds and had to hear my snoring. It was so relaxing, and after travelling that day, I took a nap. We did use the beds for recreational activities after the disco a couple of nights.

Disco:Beautiful night club, with a circular raised (about 12") platform, maybe 10' in diameter and two dance poles. Luckily, I didn't see anyone fall off the dance platform, but I was concerned about the wife doing so in her heels. Music was a spread of genres and had something for everyone. All females were dressed in sexy attire, while the guys ranged from shorts to long pants. Most guys had some sort of collared shirt. And Carlos always remembered what you were drinking. Loved that guy, but I think he loved my wife more...but that's ok. (':lol:')

Playroom:We used it our last night there and didn't realize that the music was off and they had turned off the lights in the room. I guess we were in our own little dreamland. I never saw the Playroom fully packed, but sometimes it's a matter of timing.

Sensuality: Thank you Desire for providing a couples only resort for us and those like us. It makes such a big difference. The resort accomplishes it's goal of catering to a different demographic than the resorts from our past experiences. It succeeds in combining a sensual and romantic atmosphere. We get why many people we met were on their upteenth trip. From the sculptures by the lobby bar, the well decorated and clean swinging beds by the lobby, the beach beds, the jacuzzi area, the disco, the playroom, the decor of the rooms and to the music on the beach (we love listening to our Buddha Bar collection of music, and the music on the beach is similar).

People: Finally, what fun is a resort without some sort of social interaction. It was the first time at a nude resort that we weren't asked if we were nudists or lifestylists...not once. No one seemed to care which category you were in. If they were interested, they'd eventually find out. Almost all were very respectful and fun. You'll always have those one or two that annoys the heck out of you. Age ranged from 20's to 60's, just like others have said. There were probably ten couples under 40, and I would guess the median age was somewhere around 46. We thought that the crowd was much more attractive and height/weight proportional than Hedo.
And to see visually healthy people in their 60's dancing, smiling and having a great time with their significant other, I pointed to them and told my wife of 11 years, "I hope that's going to be us in 30 years." She smiled and replied, "I hope so, too."
Lee & Kerri
Desire Fan

Postby Denver Duo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 am

Fantastic trip report! Thanks! Good to hear that the sheets between the beach beds are down. They didn't used to have them until a few years ago when they added more beach beds. Then the sheets created a little privacy but blocked the views - in more ways than one. :wink: Better to just leave them down. We also like your thoughts on having a mirror on the ceiling!
Denver Duo
Desire Lover

Postby Denver Duo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 am

Fantastic trip report! Thanks! Good to hear that the sheets between the beach beds are down. They didn't used to have them until a few years ago when they added more beach beds. Then the sheets created a little privacy but blocked the views - in more ways than one. :wink: Better to just leave them down. We also like your thoughts on having a mirror on the ceiling!
Denver Duo
Desire Lover

Postby Lee & Kerri » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks DD. There was one couple that asked the beach concierge to put a sheet on the top of the beach beds to give more sun relief. And they did it! I'd like to leave the side ones open as well as I think it's counterproductive to socializing...but we could've used one on top the first day. Having said that, the sheets to give the beach beds quite an aesthetic appeal.
Lee & Kerri
Desire Fan

Postby miranda » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing and, BTW, keep going to Desire and you, too, will make it together for at least 30 more years. Desire knows no age limits when it comes to love and romance.
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya