Back in the saddle again

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Back in the saddle again

Postby Wingit48 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am

We have just returned from our 9th (I think) trip to Desire and are already checking flights for November. Once again, we had a fabulous time. There have been a few changes. Desire has installed several beach barriers looking like huge 5' diameter worms that have been placed in the ocean. Two extend from the shore out toward the reef and a much longer one parallels the beach and is placed just outside the designated swimming area. These have successfully added at least 15' to the beach so that the volleyball area is now back to all sand and waves no longer lap up against the beach beds. A definite improvement. There are also new beds behind the lobby bar which provided us with a pleasant interlude when conversation at the bar became boring.

We never had a problem with chairs by the pool and once again, Daniel was attentive and accomodating for placement and umbrellas. The only disappointment was management's conversion of the thatched covered sitting area beside the lobby entertainment area into a glassed in sales and high pressure closing facililty for the time share hustlers. This used to be my favorite area to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning after breakfast and read for a while out of the hot sun in the mid afternoon. It now looks like a waiting room for a dentist's office and is clearly off limits to guests.

Another new addition (at least for us) was a "repeat guest" reception one afternoon being drinks, munchies and free gifts for the ladies as well as an opportunity to meet with some of the management. I had an interesting conversation with the General Manager who confirmed that Original Resorts is currently negotiating/investigating a defunct property near Hedo III in Jamaica. Their intent it to divide the property into two sections, one side being a Temptations and the other side Desire, then see which is the most successful and converting the entire property to whichever does the best. This is not a done deal but at least it is in the works.

Once again, Desire equalled or exceeded all expectations and we are counting down the days until our return in November.
Wingit48
Desire Fan

Postby BottomsUp » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks for the updates Wingit48.

I agree, the open lounging area was very nice to sit and chat but now it's enclosed in glass? And off limits to guests? One less place to mingle.

I'm curious, could you share the name of the "defunct property" that Original Resorts is looking at? Recently Breezes Rio Bueno closed it's doors but they are located in Trelawny, a distance from the former H3.

Thanks for the post.

Mrs B
BottomsUp
Desire Devotee

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Jan 2022

Postby 2naked » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am

A friend of mine recently returned from Jamaica and could have sworn he saw the desire name/logo on a property near the Runaway Bay area. Again, this is second hand info that may not be true.
25 Desire trips since Apr-2011
2 Hedo trips
SLS: WeR2Naked
KIK: Heis2naked
2naked
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby Wingit48 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I thought he said that it was Sandals but another person told me of a different name. Both agreed that was near Hedo III but was NOT Hedo.
Wingit48
Desire Fan

Postby tout.prest » Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 pm

The property that you are referring to is the the former Grand Lido Braco (Rio Bueno) . This has been brought up on many forums and there are apparently a few suitors for the resort, but it is a long way from being done yet.
We will have to wait and see whatever may "soon come mon". If Anything.

Thanks for the trip report ! Great to hear about the beach regaining. Not so great to hear about enclosing that lounge area. Doesnt that make quite a bit fewer places to sit at night during the lounge entertainment ?

5 Days till we are there.... :D

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby FRANCODOA » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 am

Desire AND Jamaica.
Best of both worlds!
FRANCODOA
Desire Devotee

Desire/Temptation combo- Jamaica

Postby tallnsexyinnj » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30 am

Having been to GLB Jamaica quite a few years ago, that would be an INCREDIBLE property for a Temptation/ Desire combo. It is (was) divided pretty definitively between Nude and Prude at the time, with the central market being the center of the hub, replete with pizza shop, cafe, restaurants, small shops, etc. A fountain and 'town square' theme anchored the concept, and felt very welcoming and pleasant.

I think that the main challenge would be in having two sets of "rules", depending on which side you are on. At the time, it felt like two separate resorts, with very little if any co-mingling. I'm sure there would be some crossover in the new concept, but the Temptation crowd and the Desire crowd are two very different animals, IMO. Not sure how that would intertwine, so to speak, but would be very interesting to observe!! I'm sure there would be many converts along the way...

Anthony & Suzann
Desire 8/8 - 8/14
tallnsexyinnj
Desire Fan

Desire operating Breezes Rio Bueno?

Postby Spongeworthy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 am

Last edited by Spongeworthy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spongeworthy
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 10 Dec 2019

Postby miranda » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 am

What kind of 'gifts' did the ladies receive at the 'repeat guest' reception?

We would love it if there was a second Desire resort - anywhere!!
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby Wingit48 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 am

Just a choice of earrings, necklaces and the like. Nothing fancy, nothng tacky, but a nice gesture, particularly with the opportunity to meet and chat with the senior management.
Wingit48
Desire Fan

Postby miranda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am

Nice touch! Thanks, Wingit48.
miranda
Desire Legend

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya