May 20-25

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

May 20-25

Postby Eskimojoe » Tue May 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Trip May 20-25

This was our third trip to Desire and it was the most enjoyable/relaxing visit yet! We arrived in Cancun near noon and it took some time to go through immigration and customs. Our transfer bus took a little time to arrive but we were checked in, fed, and poolside by 1-1:30pm which really isn’t that bad.

Check in was fast since we pre-checked in on Desire’s website (highly recommended). We had requested a specific room we previously stayed in and Desire honored the request. The room was ready when we arrived and since it was quite hot, the air conditioning felt good as well as taking our clothes off!

The grounds continue to amaze us as the staff works very hard to keep the buildings, pathways, and various handrails, etc. clean and in working order. The bellman, Arcos, is always a welcome sight with his gracious smile and warm greeting.

In the previous two trips, we spent a fair amount of time on the beach in a beach bed. This year, we decided we would spend most of our time poolside. Chairs were very easy to get as long as you selected your spot before 10am especially if you want an umbrella. The best chairs are for members, which is understandable and not really an inconvenience for the non-member guests. The pool area offers a better opportunity to mingle and interact with more guests than at the beach. Diana, Vanessa, and Hector made everyone feel special and rarely forgot your name. They encouraged people to get involved. So, we played beach volleyball, water polo, pool volleyball, and participated in a variety of other activities including the balloon popping game, pole dancing and lap dancing lessons, and many other trivia games. (Beware of nasty flavored tequila should you miss a volley in the pool!) Because of this, we interacted with and got to know many other couples than in the past. The only concern was a Hispanic couple with a cabbage patch-like doll they had with them. It was dressed in a swimsuit complete with sunglasses. They would carefully position it in the chair and leave. They would also have it facing the pool and were very careful with it handling it very gently and often turning around to check on its position. We felt it was a nanny cam and mentioned to the staff. But no one really inspected it to be sure. We are still suspect of it and think things like that should be prohibited!

(Another concern at the pool is cigar smoking. Please, if you are going to smoke a stogie, don’t…or at least do it on the beach. Others at the pool don’t all enjoy the gagging smell of cigar smoke since the trade breezes carry the smoke!)

The Jacuzzi was pretty tame during the day with the exception of us causing the bar to run out of chocolate due to the large number of body shots. We participated in tandem body shots and the males of our group even participated without the need to go to the shower of shame (most of the chocolate was removed by the women in the Jacuzzi). Later in the evening, the beds were used but for the most part (except for our corner of the tub our last afternoon) things were tame. The Jacuzzi is the only place we tip ahead of time because all too often the bartender is easily forgotten and they definitely work their butts off to make sure everyone has a drink when and however often they want!

The disco continues to be really loud for any type of conversation with others. You dance, stand around and pretend to be deaf, or go to the playroom. We used the playroom and it was most of the time occupied or to capacity. People were very polite to leave if all the beds were full and in use. The only comment to fellow guests is that you really should pick up your towels when you are done. It is pretty gross to have to pick someone else’s towels up after they have been romping!!!!

We never are disappointed with the food. We always eat a decent breakfast and the selection of fruits, meats, and breads are very enjoyable. The lunch buffet is decent too with usually some type of special dish (e.g. – paella). Guests need to understand that they try to satisfy a variety of tastes within a short time span without any knowledge of demand at different times. So, sometimes you may get a stale or cold item. Dinners are always our favorite. We enjoy the Suke and Il Placere restaurants. We also will eat in the buffet if the selections are to our liking. The portions are exactly perfect for us. Whenever we have wanted more of something, it was brought to us. (Also, there is nothing wrong with the water. We both drank a lot of ice water during the day with no issues.) We were both surprised that we had not gained any weight after eating whatever we wanted and drinking quite heavily!!!

After three trips, we have learned what clothes are needed for the visit. Yet, we still have unworn clothes at the end of the trip. One thing definitely not needed is underwear! There were plenty of towels everywhere so there really isn’t a need to bring a beach towel.

We saw a variety of shapes and sizes of people as well as a varied age range of between 25-70. I would guess that most of the people were around the 40-45 age range. There is no need to feel self-conscious of your boob size, dick size, belly, or anything else. Once the clothes are off, everyone has been equalized! Both of us are pierced and we saw a variety of piercings. He is tattooed and we saw a fair number of tattoos. This crowd was not cliquey at all. In the past, the younger couples tended to hang together but this time we saw all ages interacting!

Hats off to our new friends from Minnesota, Tampa, Chicago, Peru, Australia and especially Myrtle Beach! It was the best trip yet! We are planning our next for 2012!!!! :D :lol:
Eskimojoe
Desire Fan

Postby Eskimojoe » Tue May 31, 2011 5:23 pm

I almost forgot to mention the Wi-Fi. I have a Mac Book and an iPhone. The laptop never got removed from the in room safe. The Wi-Fi worked for my iPhone and I check email and the web easily from just about anywhere in the resort. Next time, the laptop will not be lugged to the resort!!!!
Eskimojoe
Desire Fan

Postby miranda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am

Great report and thanks for taking the time to write it.

I agree, for the most part, about the cigar smoking but I wish people wouldn't smoke them at all. It's pretty difficult to remove oneself from the aroma no matter where you are on the property - there are trade breezes at the beach, too, and we seem to always be right next to someone who seems to think we want to share in his/her cigar experience, too. :(

What's "the shower of shame" that you talk about?
miranda
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada

Postby Eskimojoe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 am

I coined the phrase for a guy who goes up on the bar for body shots and then no one participates. The guy then has to go to the shower and wash it all off...hence "the shower of shame!" Luckily, my wife and the ladies we were hanging out with kept me from going. Plus, there were others that pretty much cleaned it all off.
Eskimojoe
Desire Fan

Postby Goodboyflash » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 pm

In regards to tipping, what is the standard tip amount and policy. We have just read your post and loved it. Thanks 11 days to go for our first trip
Goodboyflash
Desire Convert

Postby Eskimojoe » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:55 am

There is a post on tipping but we generally tip the waiter at breakfast and dinner $5 if they are attentive and $2-3 if not as attentive each meal. We will tip the bartender at the Jacuzzi $5 for the afternoon/evening. We leave $5 on the bed for the maid. We tip around the pool $5 for the first drink and then maybe $1-2 afterwards depending on how many drinks we have. We always tip Mati at the breakfast grill $5 sometime. Everything/everyone else is on an as we feel it is appropriate basis (other staff, bellman, sports staff, catamaran, etc.).

We saw quite a few people not tip at all which I think is somewhat sad. Yes, it is included in your rate but I think a couple dollars here and there isn't going to kill the budget especially since the service is usually superb!
Eskimojoe
Desire Fan

Postby shade » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:31 am

We bring $ 100 in five dollar bills and $ 50 in singles for tips for a six night stay. We always make sure Matilda and the guy who rakes the beach get tipped.
shade
Desire Convert

Postby Sawyer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:37 pm

We usually just lay big tips on the people we know we will see everyday early. For instance Silvia by the pool- last time we were there we just gave her $100 on the first day(we were there 10 days).
As far as the lounge and lobby guys same thing $10 a day but some days we'd give $20 then not tip the next day.
This was our second trip and I feel bad because on our first trip we never tipped the entertainment staff and they bust thier asses. This time we tipped them well at the end.
It would be nice to find out if the bartenders tip pool or not. Anyone know?
Sawyer
Desire Convert

Postby tout.prest » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Bartenders definitely do "pool" their tips (unless something has just recently changed) and this has always been a bone of contention for me , because although they are all okay and adequate, guys like Edmundo, Carlos, Hector , C.C, Jaimie, and several others, REALLY excel at their craft and are in a whole different league. Their level of service is what my tips are meant for...

Steve :wink:
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Extra tipping

Postby tallnsexyinnj » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Not sure about Desire specifically, but in most pooled-tip houses, if you want to give extra to a specific waiter/ bartender, put it in a sealed envelope with their name and "personal gift" on it. That usually does the trick.

Another option is to buy or bring them something nice. For those with kids, any art supplies, craft-type things, small toys, etc. would likely be well received. I'm sure clothing also works, and gives you something to do with all the unused stuff you packed!!

Anthony & Suzann
8/8 - 8/14

tout.prest wrote:Bartenders definitely do "pool" their tips (unless something has just recently changed) and this has always been a bone of contention for me , because although they are all okay and adequate, guys like Edmundo, Carlos, Hector , C.C, Jaimie, and several others, REALLY excel at their craft and are in a whole different league. Their level of service is what my tips are meant for...

Steve :wink:
tallnsexyinnj
Desire Fan

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya